Wednesday 10 October 2012

Afternoon Tea Review: Hilton, Cardiff

 


 
 
Over the summer my friend Adie and myself treated ourselves to afternoon tea at the Hilton.  It was part of a Groupon deal and so included use of the spa facilities too for £29 for two people.  We had a lovely swim to work up an appetite.
 
Sandwiches: 3.5/5
These were rather nice, particularly the salmon ones because they had prawns in too!  Would have liked a bit more selection, and the bread could have been better.  The sandwiches looked quite beige and bland on the cakestand, and tasted far superior to their looks!
 
Cake: 1/5
What a disappointment.  A fairy cake that was misshapen, pretty tasteless and looked as though it had been decorated by a five year old.  There were some welshcakes too, nice touch for the capital of Wales, but I'm afraid that doesn't outweigh the other cake so the score's still 1 out of 5.
 
Service: 5/5
Impeccable.  Charming Maitre D, attentive waitress, and when a *hair* was discovered on our cakestand (I wish I was joking, it's such a cliche!) they couldn't apologise enough and swiftly replaced the entire tea selection.

Ambience: 3/5
The glass-fronted restaurant on the ground floor is rather nice, and you can people watch.  It's still a modern hotel chain at the end of the day, so nothing particularly special.
 
Crockery; 3/5
Yes, I am rating the crockery!  It wasn't vintage - just your normal run-of-the-mill white china that can be found in most hotel chains.
 
Tea & Prosecco: 4/5
A good selection of tea, with a bit of a ritual created around choosing it by the Twinings selection box of jars that you are welcome to open and sniff.  There are also little egg-timers to tell you when your tea is brewed, depending on whether it's black, white or green tea.  It's still Twinings though, rather than some local tea company, so I am knocking off a point for that.  The prosecco went down in one.
 
Overall: 3/5
I would have been sorely disappointed if I had paid full price, but I have a feeling that the afternoon tea was 'adjusted' slightly for the Groupon offer and that a different selection of items would have been available for customers paying the full price.  I really can't complain that I got a swim, a glass of bubbly, a pot of tea and some sandwiches for £15.  I don't think I would go again though - there are lots of other choices in South Wales with superior cake and crockery.

3 comments:

  1. I adore tiny sandwiches with tea, especially the kind with olive spread. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super review with the all important 'crockery' category. Executed correctly and afternoon tea is Britain at its best but by the sounds of it, the Hilton are abysmal at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there I am so happy I found your blog, I really found you by accident, while I was researching on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I am here
    now and would just like to say thank you for a marvelous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the minute but I have saved
    it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be
    back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic
    work.

    Take a look at my weblog :: Louboutin Shoes (christian-louboutinusa.jkmsw.com)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...