Wednesday 9 January 2013

'Vintage' Spices

Making mince pies at my parents' house over Christmas, I was flabbergasted to see an array of very old spices and such in their cupboard.  The ginger label indicated 'Best Before 1991', making it at least 22 years old.  Blimey!  I didn't want to risk it and nipped out to get some fresh stuff from the market.

I had a good rummage, and here's what else I found.  They stopped 1/2 pence being legal tender in the UK in 1984, so the food colouring is probably well over 30 years old seeing as I remember my mum using it to colour playdough when I was a toddler!

What's lurking in your cupboards?







Here's a photo of the two chefs - the half apron I'm wearing was handmade by my grandmother in the early 1960s apparently, and the plates are 1950s Woolworths.



8 comments:

  1. Himself's Grandma's cupboards were terrible! We found cans of food that were 15 years old!?! and then a whole load of very old baking goods too.I go through mine about once a year so things are never too old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, cans that are 15 years old is very risky. Imagine if you ate one by mistake! You are very organised having regular clear outs.

      I have to admit I did feel a bit nostalgic about some of the old packaging that I remembered from childhood!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My maternal grandma tends to hold onto things for many years, too. I haven't been to her house (we don't live that nearby) for many years, but I suspect that I might find some well aged spices lurking in her cupboards, too. I'm almost OCD about making sure food never spoils and that I use it up (or give it away, if it's unused) before its expiry date, so (much as I love older things in general), you'd not find any expired spices or other foods at my house (though I do have some delightfully cute circa 1950s spice tins I bought from a yard sale last year, some of which still have spices in them - yikes! :) ).

    Thank you very much for your wonderfully sweet comment on my wig reveal post, my dear. I'm deeply touched to know that you feel my story will have an impact on others, and wholeheartedly hope that such is the case.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've had anything lurking as long as that ginger has been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad insists it's still perfectly fine... !!

      Delete
  5. I love seeing old packaging, particularly with old prices! I miss the half penny piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get sweets for half a penny in a local shop (now gone of course), I feel a bit nostalgic about it too!

      Delete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...