Friday 8 March 2013

How To Keep On Blogging

After the other week, in which I raised a Gin & Tonic to myself for persevering with blogging, I thought I would turn to the topic of how to keep going.  I know that many blogs start keenly and then fade away after a while.  I was determined not to let that happen when I started this blog 3 years ago, and I was trying to think of some tips to pass on to people starting blogging on how to make it a long-term endeavour.  Here's what I've come up with:
  1. Be passionate about your subject matter.  Writing a blog about 'vintage' or any other subject just because it's currently a trend bandwagon doesn't bode well for longevity.  It has to be something that is woven into your everyday life.  
  2. Time it right.  If you've just had a baby, had a promotion at work, or are studying for final exams at university, it's probably not the right time to start blogging.  When I first started this blog I was working part-time and had a little spare time.  It takes a while to get used to how to use blogs and all of the functions, and you certainly need time to read other people's.  Once you've been up and running a while it will take much less time, but at the start be prepared to put the hours in!
  3. Keep striving to improve.  I've tried really hard to take better photos, to spend more time compiling lengthy posts and to keep up with topical things too.  The more satisfied you become with the quality of what you're blogging, the more you'll want to keep blogging.
  4. Keep in touch with your followers.  It's nice to work out how to comment back on the comments people leave you, and to comment on their blogs if they write on a similar topic.  Helps build that 'community' that will help give you the motivation to continue.
  5. Learn to use the 'schedule posts' function.  This is such a life-saver when I am having a busy time - it's been essential now I'm back to working full-time.  It means that I have posts that can magically post themselves, while I am doing real-life things.  If I didn't have this function, I could go for weeks on end without blogging, and that's when your motivation can start to dip, you get out of the habit of doing it.
  6. Stockpile posts.  Another essential - if you think 'ooo that would make a good post', do a draft straight away and save it.  You can finish it off another time, but the idea might disappear from your brain if you don't write it down.  It saves those writers-block moments when you realise that you would like to do a post, but don't know what to do one about.
There you go, those are my tips for keeping on blogging.  Notice that I am not telling you 'how to write a successful blog', 'how to make money from a blog' or any other grand ideas - you'll have to look elsewhere for those kind of tips.  It's not about making money, or reaching international acclaim.  Above all, this blog is something I do for me.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of the scheduled posts function, where is that and how do I use it?

    Please come and check out my latest post if you have a few minutes spare :)

    p.s. I’ve given the blog a bit of a face lift!

    www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    Helen

    X

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...