Friday 6 September 2013

Kitchen: Nigella Inspired Red Cabbage Slaw

Has anyone tried the fabulous Christmassy coleslaw that's in one of Nigella Lawson's books?  It's a favourite of mine and I make it every year.

But why save red cabbage for Christmas?  It's perfect for late Summer and early Autumn.  I made my own version of the coleslaw last night that is more fitting of the present season.  I left out the fennel and beetroot because I didn't have any, I added apple, and I made it more zingy by adding coriander and lime juice.  You could probably use natural yoghurt instead of mayonnaise, but it will be more watery - best use that thicker, 0% fat Greek stuff if you want to keep a creamier consistency.

1/4 head read cabbage
2 eating apples (I used organic Discovery apples from my Dad's tree)
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp garam masala
A little black pepper
A tablespoon of mango chutney
Low fat mayonnaise - probably at least 3 tablespoons, more if you like your coleslaw very mayonnaisey!
Handful of chopped coriander


I served it with roasted vegetable cous cous and a mini naan bread.  You must think I live off mini naan bread, they've featured in the other meals I've posted recently - I've been using up a pack of them from the freezer!

1 comment:

  1. Ooohh, be still my taste buds, that sounds scrumptious! I love a good slaw, and one strikes me as not just good, but great. Thank you for sharing Nigella's wonderful recipe, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...