Monday 14 October 2013

Kitchen: Healthy Macaroni Cheese

Macaroni Cheese?  How American.  To be honest, I've never liked it and have preferred Cauliflower Cheese as the addition of a single vegetable makes things much more palatable.  But wait, Healthy Macaroni and Cheese has two vegetables in it - broccoli and spinach.  This sounds even better.

I had a go at the Healthy Mac and Cheese recipe from The Picky Eater's blog.  Here's how it turned out.



I don't like those funny bent tubes traditionally used in Macaroni Cheese, so I used wholewheat fusili.  I also omitted the garlic powder and used chilli flakes instead of crushed red pepper.  I also think I made too much sauce, because the recipe is in American measurements and I had to guess what a 'cup' is.  But, it was super tasty and not too much effort, though three pans on the go at the same time is about my limit!

Sometimes I struggle with making a good cheese sauce, but the method Anjali describes worked really well for me, and you could use the basic sauce recipe for a plethora of different recipes.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderfully tasty looking! I can't help but think that a white cream sauce + cheese + those two veggies would rock on a pizza, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...