Monday 10 March 2014

Glimpse Inside Historic Edwardian Mansion

We all love a nosey in others' homes, and for vintage-lovers, nothing beats looking at historic properties from bygone eras, especially when original features have been preserved.

In Cardiff, South Wales, a Grade-II listed historic mansion has gone on the market for the first time in 50 years, and so we can all get to see the pictures of the interior!  Formerly the home of Welsh philanthropist Sir Julian Hodge, the property was built in 1906 and has eight bedrooms.  The estate includes two buildings separate from the main house, and 5 acres of land.  If you'd like to guess how much this property is going for, have a look at the pictures, take a guess, and then you'll find the answer at the bottom of the page!

Edwardian mansion
 









What do you think of it?  I love the grounds, they're wonderful gardens - did you see the size of the glasshouse?  I also think the little lodge is very cute.  I am not sure about the interior of the main house though, the wood panelling they used back then is quite dark and I think you could probably spend a lot of money on this house giving it a bit of tlc whilst trying to retain the original character.  It's certainly not my dream house.

Price tag: £3 million!  On the market with Cooke and Arkwright here.

What do you think of the Edwardian style of property?  What's your favourite historic era for homes?

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful house!! If I was visiting I wouldn't be able to wait to explore that wonderful glasshouse, what a dream!!
    Hope you had a great weekend!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be in the glasshouse straightaway too, I love explore outbuildings!! P x

      Delete
  2. How beautiful! I thought it would have been more than £3 million to be honest.
    My favourite era for architecture has to be 1930's, I love both the art deco style of home and the classic 1930's semi. I've also been drawn to Victorian properties in the past few years but still absolutely do not like cottages, I hate the low ceilings, beams and teeny tiny windows, I find them oppressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem better value than some other homes around the area that I know are more than that (been looking on rightmove..!), but I am with you on 1930s being my favourite era, I've absolutely fallen in love with it since we moved into a 1930's house! Before that I liked Victorian, or rustic barn conversions. I am tall, so cottages have never been an option for me! P x

      Delete
    2. I asked my husband how much he thought this was worth and he plumped for £6 million, so we were on the same wavelength! There are houses about five/ten minutes from here which are £1 million and upwards and they seem rather small for the cost xx

      Delete
    3. Sometimes, a million doesn't get you a lot. Isn't that worrying?! Heaven help us mere mortals! x

      Delete
  3. What a stunning house - shame I don't have the funds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think if enough of us bloggers clubbed together we could afford it?! x

      Delete
  4. This home is majestic, but doesn't feel OTT, which is something that's very important to me when it comes to architecture on any scale (at least with houses - buildings can be a little more grandiose, if desired). It is the epitome of Edwardian elegant, instantaneously breathtaking, and so, so immensely beautiful. Thank you for the incredibly lovely tour. If I had an obscene amount of wealth, or anything close to it, I would sincerely be tempted to purchase this amazing home and finally let my inner anglophile run free in its native land. :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you the moment I saw it Jessica! I can picture you wandering around the grounds in one of your fabulously detailed outfits, whilst your lovely hubby follows you and takes some great photos! Imagine the outfit posing possibilities if you lived there..! It's nice to play fantasy house-buying every now and again. P x

      Delete
  5. woweee! Now I know who the Julian Hodge building at the uni is maned after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful house and place! I love old houses too, they have that certain charm and lots of history too talk about during a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can smell the history in places like this! I love to imagine what people's lives were like in bygone eras. Were they happy there? That kind of thing. x

      Delete
  7. Wow. Beautiful home and beautiful estate. I can't believe some people actually get to live in places like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chosen few, yes! Ah well, at least we get to visit lots of stately homes in the UK now as nobody can afford them and they all end up being opened to the public to raise money for the roof and so forth! x

      Delete
  8. Wow. What an estate. The garden really got me. I would be outside painting all the time.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous place… but i do not know what i would do with so much space! i loved the glass house, is it a greenhouse ?
    I can only imagine all the cleaning and maintenance this place must need.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...