Monday 14 April 2014

The Secret of French Dressing: My Favourite Style Tip

Do you ever wish you could be a little more 'French'?  Regular readers of this blog will know that I have a bit of an obsession with French beauty and style.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that looks at French women and thinks 'why can't I look like that?!'.  Younger French women look chic and trendy but never overblown, whereas older French women look classic, but never outdated.  They move with the times but always remember the core of what good dressing is all about.  French dressing is about the balance of classic elegance and being fashion forward, all fused together with that 'je ne sais quoi'.

My Favourite Style Tip - Their Secret is My Secret!
So, what's the secret?  And yes, there is a secret.  I've read all of the books to find out what it is, from 'French Women Don't Get Fat', to 'Two Lipsticks and a Lover'.  I have an impressive collection of French beauty products.  I've read interviews with French style icons such as Audrey Tatou and Charlotte Gainsbourg, and I've shopped French, buying clothes from affordable retailers available in the UK. So here is my number one style tip, even if you're not trying to be more French, it's a tip to help you be more stylish!



What do I mean by this?  Too often I think in the UK, we start at the outside and work our way in - we choose a dress out of the wardrobe, then we realise that our legs are dry and flaky, find that we haven't got the right underwear to go with it, still feel bloated and hungover from last night's curry and beer, and suddenly feel our confidence sink - quel surprise!  The French woman starts from the inside and works outwards.  She has the confidence, she's had enough sleep and drunk enough water, she has pristine underwear for any occasion, she's exfoliated, cleansed and moisturised.  No wonder she can throw on any garment picked out of her (thoughtfully purchased) wardrobe, apply a slick of lipstick, and leave the house without any 'what to wear' dilemmas!

As there are a few stages to 'dressing from the inside out', I have put together an explanation of how to do it.

How to Dress From the Inside Out


The core layer is attitude.  Confidence can be hard to summon up at times, I know, but you can always fake it!  Your attitude affects your posture and your facial expressions (and therefore wrinkles!).  Stand up straight, smile and go get 'em.


Treat your body well.  Drink lots of water, exercise, get enough sleep, and eat your veggies.  Do things for you mental wellbeing as well as for your body - have time to unwind, get out into the countryside.  French women walk a lot, often combining this with shopping (very wise), so get those trainers on!  Yes, they eat cheese and drink wine - but they don't gorge on food and they don't get drunk.


Good underwear doesn't have to be sexy and uncomfortable, it can be pretty and easy to wear.  Quality hosiery will serve you well.  Wear good underwear everyday, not just for special occasions.  It can really help with step 1, attitude!


Looking after your skin will be helped along immensely by step 2 (drinking water and eating veggies), but don't forget to use SPF, wear a hat or use a pretty parasol - the sun can be strong enough to damage our skin, even in winter.  French women never forget their sunglasses, to keep those eye wrinkles at bay!


Finally, the clothes themselves.  Even though this is the last layer, clothes are never an afterthought.  Stick with the basics first, and get them right - they are the building blocks of your wardrobe and will make it easier to fit other items in around them.  Think of that wonderful Coco Chanel quote, "dress shabbily and they notice the dress.  Dress impeccably, and they notice the woman".  That last bit is the important bit, notice the woman.  If this is where you get stuck then French style giant La Redoute has some sound advice in terms of a list of 7 wardrobe essentials for you to tick off your list on their Secrets to French Style webpage.  The items include: the trench coat, the white shirt, classic knitwear, the Breton stripe, denim, the little black dress, and ballerina pumps.  Do you own them all?  I do!  They are all staples of a vintage lover's wardrobe.  In case you need any further inspiration, below are classic French film stars showing you how to wear them, and illustrating just how these items have stood the test of time.
 

So there you have the five steps to dressing from the inside out!  I never said it was easy, but it is achievable.  I think that's the point, that regardless of budget, background, or time, all French women see that being stylish is completely within their reach.  They don't make excuses.

I would love to hear your thoughts on dressing from the inside out!  Do you agree that attitude counts for a lot in the way we look?  How important is taking care of yourself compared to your love of fashion?

Le Brand Ambassador
This post is also my entry for a competition that La Redoute is running, to be one of two 'Brand Ambassadors'.  The prize is beyond phenomenal, including a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Paris, which happens to be on my birthday - is that a sign?!  I would also be lucky enough to have a monthly budget to spend at La Redoute, to review items for this blog.  I already have a wishlist as long as my arm, particularly because their vintage inspired brand Mademoiselle R has some delicious looking garments that I could work into my wardrobe immediately!

I want to be a brand ambassador because I represent the 'average' woman.  I'm in my thirties, work hard at what I love but make time for fun, take care of my body, adore fashion, don't have huge amounts of time or a large budget, but appreciate quality, timeless styling, and trends that make me feel current but not ridiculous.  I love mixing vintage styling with the modern, for a style I feel is my second skin - one that reflects my lifestyle and allows me to express my personality.  That's quite a French attitude, n'est pas?

Linkups:

15 comments:

  1. I loved this. I totally agree with your take that they dress from the inside out.

    I will be heading there in a couple of weeks so this is perfect timing to help me pack : )

    I hope you are chosen to be the brand ambassador. You'd be great!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kind words! I hope your trip goes well - perhaps you'll come back with a host more tips yourself? X

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the La Redoute competition! This is a cute post. I often hear that confidence is key for women's fashion. I've found though that if I have a pretty dress on it usually makes me feel more confident automatically. When I buy dresses I'm not just buying an item of clothing I'm buying the feeling of chic sophistication it gives me when I wear it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am perhaps overly excited about this competition and my head is running wild with Parisian fashion fantasies! I do agree that a truly beautifully cut dress can make one feel a million francs (well, Euros these days!) X

      Delete
  3. This post is so inspiring! I read every word here and I feel confident in my body now, your ideas are great, I hope you win this award because you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post! All of this is so accurate. You can't build a house without the foundation, and what you've given your readers here is a way to make that foundation its very best. Confidence is so important. It completely changes the look whether or not you're confident. I've always thought that if a person is truly proud of what they're wearing and if they truly believe in it, they can make anything look good.

    Good luck with the competition!! :)

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am so glad I have struck the right note! It seemed to make sense to me and generally the people who I think are stylish are confident too! X

      Delete
  5. Brilliant advice! I agree with you across the board and think that this is a lesson many (most!) of our foremothers, whose style we now emulate or adapt elements of, as the case may be, knew these points so much better than most of us do in the hectic 21st century world.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it's something that perhaps has got lost over time - our foremothers didn't have wardrobes half as big as ours. They chose their one dress for Sunday best with care and looked after it. Today we try and solve the way we feel by buying more, more, more, and it doesn't really work x

      Delete
  6. These tips are perfect! I can't say enough about good sun protection and thank you for the reminder that confidence can be your best accessory! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Laura! I am a sun protection evangelist these days!! X

      Delete
  7. I´ve always admired how most French women dress and I´d say that your tips fit to a T. For me, body confidence should come first before anything else. I hope you´d get chosen!:)

    http://dressingupforme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad I have made sense! X

      Delete
  8. This was actually quite useful :) This should be applied to all women and all styles, not just French, but sadly some women do not take care of themselves properly. I don't always remember to take care of myself either, I forget to drink water and don't exercise even close to enough, but at least I try. I probably should try more.

    The attitude part was the best :) I feel more confident when probably look prettier when I at least act like I'm confident and happy.

    You have a really nice blog here, interesting blog posts and pretty pictures. You're very pretty too :) I read also the other post about how much you wear your garments and I think I need to start keeping a diary too about how much I wear my clothes - the ones I don't wear often enough I should probably let go off.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...