Tuesday 8 April 2014

Vintage Inspired Bargains: Sainsbury's

Hello vintage lovers!  Have you made any Spring purchases yet?  No?  I am always a bit slow, waiting for the first lot of sales generally before I make any vintage-inspired purchases from the good old British high street.  My guilty pleasure is supermarkets though - their prices make an injection of fashion much more affordable, and more economical time-wise if you can do your weekly food shop at the same time!

I recently popped to Sainsbury's to see what vintage inspiration they might offer.  Here is what I found - from the ill-fitting to the super stylish.  Take heed of my words and you need not do battle with the changing rooms.  Excuse the lighting - I went into a well-lit changing room first, but the door didn't close, so I had to swap!



I absolutely loved this Dolce & Gabbana inspired dress with its zingy lemon print (do you remember D&G used this print a few seasons ago?  On shorts and matching tops I believe).  This dress is a super lightweight cotton, lined on the bottom, and I love the easy to wear style, with the button front and tie waist.  It's a steal at £18.  I didn't buy as I felt as I was inbetween sizes - the bust was too tight on this one, but the next size up was too 'blouson' on top.  It's a good length, hitting my knee on my 5'9" frame.  I'm not sure yellow this strong is my colour either, so I don't regret leaving this one behind.

Sainsbury's D&G style dress lemons


Capri trousers; they are such a summer wardrobe staple for those in love with 1950s and early 1960s fashions.  Sainsbury's had a couple on offer, but the fit was disappointing for those of us with more 'vintage' figures, (with a higher hip to waist ratio) or those in search of capris that fit on the waist rather than below it.

Daisy print jacquard trousers, £18 - absolutely terrible fit on me, with gaping pockets giving the impression of saddlebags, and I couldn't even zip 'em up!  Avoid if you have feminine curves, these are for 'straight' figures, or perhaps the more petite.


These polkadot trousers with their side zip, were very close, but no cigar - still ever so slightly too low-waisted on me, and I couldn't zip them all the way up.  Again, if you are shorter than me (5'9") you may fare better with these, as they are a really lovely deep navy with tiny white polkadots, and only £15 ish I think.


I spotted some fab pin-up style halterneck tops, in black, bright yellow, and turquoise.  Only £8 each, so I picked one up in black, as I can wear with red cropped jeans and wedges for a rockabilly evening look, or tucked into a full '50s style skirt.  I didn't buy the jade pencil skirt (again around £16 I think), it wasn't a bad fit to be honest, fitting ok around both waist and hips (rare!), but the length wasn't quite long enough on me, and it has a sort of embossed snakeprint effect, and my other half is scared of snakes!


Next I tried on a denim midi skirt, which wasn't flattering at all on me, it was a thin denim that just sort of hung there limply, and I think you'd need a petticoat underneath to give it some structure.  Also the waistband was flimsy, folding over on itself a bit, which was annoying.  It was £18 in case you're tempted.


Finally, I tried on a fun printed tunic, quite a '60s or '70s vibe to it.  The fabric is a really lovely silky viscose that drapes nicely.  Could see this paired with a big floppy hat and wedges.  Nice, but I couldn't justify it so left this one too.  Price was again in the £14 to £18 range, can't remember exactly.


After my Sainsbury's trying-on session I popped to the Clarks outlet and found these amazing 'Dollar Craze' yellow heeled sandals, with again quite a '70s vibe to them.  Alas, half a size too small for me!  I shall be stalking Ebay for them, already tracked down some size 7.5 pairs in France(!) in yellow, navy or mink, but they're £54.99 instead of the outlet price of £39.99.  Hmm...  What do you think about yellow shoes?  My other half said that you shouldn't wear them if you were over the age of 5!!  I like the navy ones too.

Dollar Craze yellow Porcelina's World

Have you done any shopping for clothes at Sainsbury's recently?  Do you shop for clothes in supermarkets??


Link Ups!
Passion for Fashion with Rachel the Hat & Lena B
Style Elixir with Lauren

25 comments:

  1. I adore those yellow shoes!

    Also I loved that first dress.

    I can be found browsing our local Loblaws that carries Joe Fresh. It is terrible. I can't get away from shopping for clothes anywhere now it seems.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit overwhelming and ubiquitous, I agree Suzanne. I personally would probably not make so many impulse purchases if they kept clothes and food in separate shops!! X

      Delete
  2. I don't know what is going on with Sainsbury's clothes at the moment, they were always my go to for leggings but they have now made them low rise on the waist!?! I hate low rise trousers anyway and in leggings it's just damned uncomfortable.

    I think the yellow shoes are gorgeous and you should most definitely buy them if they come up at the right price, they are much more striking than the navy ones, you can see the detail better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh please don't say Sainsbury's have changed their leggings?! They were my favourites, sitting comfortably on my waist and a good leg length. I will be most upset if they no longer fit comfortably. P x

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of yellow shoes! I tried some on during my last thrifting trip that were too tight on my feet as well. ~Ann
    Tarnished Royalty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems yellow shoes are a winner from everyone's comments. I think my OH is overruled on this one!! X

      Delete
  4. This is a subject close to my heart! Tesco are my go-to for vintage-inspired supermarket fashions. They often have great pencil skirts and classic coats for bargain prices - in fact, my last blog post was about a full-skirted trench coat I picked up from them recently (cici-marie.blogspot.com). Problem with the supermarkets tends to be you have to be fast - their stock is on a quick turnover. But so worth hunting through 'new in' lists now and then :) CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the turnover is fast - you were lucky to pick up that pretty trench, I liked the floral lining. Will have to check out Tesco online or maybe subscribe to emails to keep in the know! X

      Delete
  5. I love yellow shoes! Yellow is not a very good color on me, but it's so pretty and cheery. Shoes are a great way to get to wear yellow without looking ill with it next to my face! (That said, I only have one pair of yellow shoes, but I love them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good tip for those who feel they can't wear yellow, I am glad you can wear it at least on your shoes! X

      Delete
  6. I like yellow shoes, too! I have a pair of yellow flats I love breaking out in the summer, and those heels you found are really great, too! Also, I love the dress at the top. It's so vibrant.

    I used to do a lot of shopping at stores like this, but I kept running into the same problem that you and and another commenter have mentioned: the fit just doesn't work for me. I tend to need garments that are high-waisted or a little more structured than the average store tends to carry. That doesn't mean I don't still stop and look every once in a while, though!!

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it's not just me that has the problem with fit! I have to try on about 10 things to find one that fits ok. Another yellow shoe wearer, I think it's a trend! X

      Delete
  7. I am so in love with those yellow shoes I can hardly type! I'm off to souce a pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would suit you very well with your dark hair, hope you find some! X

      Delete
  8. Not a one yet myself and I highly doubt there will be many this year, as my finances need to go to other more pressing things than my wardrobe (which objectively, isn't lacking in most areas) at the moment. If I was buying though, I'd be shopping for wedge sandals, vintage blouses, and pencil and a-line skirts in hues I don't currently own any in.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did chuckle at your comment that your wardrobe isn't lacking - I'd agree, in fact you probably have the most enviable wardrobe in Canada! You have an endless number of combinations to try out I'm sure, until the finances improve and you can have a little treat x

      Delete
  9. Too bad the first dress and the polka dot trousers with side zip didn't work out for you. I thought they looked great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was disappointed with the dot trousers particularly, oh well, the perfect pair is out there somewhere! X

      Delete
  10. Hi Porcelina, I don't know how you walked away from that first yellow dress - it was my favourite garment!
    Where I live vintage, second hand and thrift practically do not exist, so I have to shop whenever I travel. In fact I just uploaded a post on what vintage/second hand items I purchased - and yes, I have a pair of yellow shoes that I wear a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check out your blog post Lorena, I love seeing what other people have bought! Glad you are a yellow shoe wearer! X

      Delete
  11. I like the yellow shoes a lot! Maybe I have the taste of a 5 year old haha. I just can't resist mustard yellow things :)

    Colour Me Classic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brought up the subject of the yellow shoes with the OH again, showing him all these comments, and he is not convinced at all and stands by his original statement...(!) X

      Delete
  12. Great post! The fact that you means someone is reading and liking it! Congrats!That’s great advice.

    FUE Hair Transplant

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite pair of heels that I own are yellow! ;)
    Great post! Thanks for linking up for Passion For Fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love yellow shoes! I hope you get a pair. Maybe the ones in France...

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...