Saturday 28 June 2014

Tempest Clothing Fashion Show at the Mercure Holland House Hotel

I love a fashion show but they're rarely held outside of London, so I was most excited to receive an invitation to the Tempest fashion show at Cardiff's Mercure Holland House Hotel and Spa.

Tempest markets itself as a brand of  'sexy, sultry and sophisticated' clothing for women with a range of figure-hugging dresses, that are loved by celebrities such as Holly Willoughby.  Currently, Miss Wales, Alice Ford, and West End star Sophie Evans, are faces of the brand.

Arriving at the Mercure, I was directed to the penthouse suite, where I had the pleasure of meeting fellow blogger Sophie from Twisted Individual for the first time, and we were joined soon after by the lovely Liz from Bambi the Style Hunter.  The suite was as ostentatious as a penthouse suite should be, with animal print soft furnishings and lashings of purple.  Even the walls on one side had leopard print wallpaper!  After a few glasses of champagne, and lots of admiration of the outfits that were arriving, it was time to head downstairs for the main event.  By this point I was feeling woefully underdressed having turned up straight from work, relieved that I was wearing a skirt and heels and had put more make-up on.  The invitation didn't say it was black tie!

Tempest Fashion Show
Sophie and Liz

Tempest Fashion Show


Tempest

The main function room at the Mercure is an impressive one, with a sky high ceiling, and after a little confusion of where we were to be seated, we took our places - Liz and I on a table with the lovely Miss Wales.  Our goody bags contained some Giorgio Armani makeup samples (which I'll do a separate post on, as I went to their beauty evening recently and found some things worth sharing!), chocolate from Chocomix, and rather oddly, fitness DVDs.  Mine was by Natalie Cassidy!

Tempest

Tempest

The evening included 3 fashion shows, with 1 of the shows by the winners of Tempest's search for 'real women' models.  Tempest's dresses range from the demure to the more 'clubby', and average at £100 upwards, with a range of tops that start from about £69.  I'll be honest that some of the pricing seems steep, for something that is a day dress, but the occasion dress prices are probably about right for a non high-street more exclusive brand.  Here are my top picks, starting off with my number one pick, that glittered beautifully in the catwalk lights.  Some of these dresses are not available until AW14, but where something's available now I've put a link for you.

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show
Abbey dress, £105 (super short though, I couldn't wear that to my office!)

Tempest Fashion Show
The pink coat is a 'Sexy Mac', available here soon.

As I said, some of the dresses are not really my style at all, so here is a selection of the ones that didn't really do it for me - but perhaps you'll like them better?

Tempest Fashion Show


Tempest Fashion Show
I wish that one on the left was mid calf, then I could see myself in it!

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

The Mercure was a fantastic venue for the event.  The main course of Welsh lamb, and the dessert of chocolate mousse, were both wonderful.  I can't comment on the starter as I was queuing for the bar for over 20 minutes, and in that time the starter had not only been served but cleared away (I've emailed the Mercure about this lapse in customer service, and will let you know when I hear back from them!).

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

To top off the evening, we were treated to a performance by West End star Sophie Evans, who was absolutely spellbinding.  My OH has just received her album to review and I might have to pinch it.

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

Tempest Fashion Show

What do you all think of Tempest's range?  Do you like any of these dresses, or are they not your style?  I'd love to know what you think!

27 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm with you the first dress is my fav. Looks like a great evening, looking forward to the GA review.
    Sue
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dresses and the food looks amazing! Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I have to confess I ate TWO of those desserts...x

      Delete
  3. The dresses are great value considering the quality of the fabrics used and the fact that the dresses are truly made in Britain, at Tempest's own factory in Bridgend. They are probably under priced when you factor in how much they cost to manufacture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really interesting point, thanks for raising that. I haven't heard anything about the brand being made in the UK, I wonder why they don't promote that as a selling point? You seem to know more about it than I do, perhaps you can shed some light on why Tempest isn't actively promoting the 'made in the UK' angle??

      Delete
    2. They do promote it on their facebook and website. They are the only brand in their market okace who have their own in house factory and make all their own dresses and they employ girls who lost their jobs at Burberry years ago. They do prmote it but you are right they should do more because by making their own dresses it will cost them a lot.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like Tempest are doing a fab job to maintain British jobs, that's impressive and great to hear! I have been on their website and FB page countless times, I can't believe I missed all mention of the dresses being made in the UK, and even better, made in Wales! Thanks for the info X

      Delete
  4. What a lovely way to spend an evening! Looks like a superb show! Some gorgeous dresses! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best night out I've had in a long time, and it was sort of unexpected - they're always the best! x

      Delete
  5. Though not all of them are in keeping with my own personal style, I think that there is an appealing sense of contemporary meets timeless style to many of them and there are at least a couple (my top choice being the black dress that was partnered with a leopard clutch) that I would sport and style in a mid-century direction myself for sure, given the opportunity to do so.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That black dress is indeed timeless - really classy, I liked that one a lot too. Maybe not enough novelty prints for you Jessica! x

      Delete
  6. This event looks like it was a lot of fun! I love the black fit and flair A-line dress, the short Abbey dresses, and light green satin dress with the black sheer top. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to choose just one isn't it?! Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  7. This looks like so much fun! I have to say my favorite garment is the pink "sexy mac." I love the Abbey dress, although you're right about not being able to wear it to work!

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see you in that mac! You'd look cute in it x

      Delete
  8. Very glamorous! Some of those pieces are lovely - I love the first dress. Just goes to show there's classic pieces to be found in so many ranges these days... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, it does pay to be open minded and try out brands you wouldn't necessarily have gone to first x

      Delete
  9. How fun you got to attend such a cool event.

    The pink trench is lovely.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice isn't? And it has a hood! How practical. x

      Delete
  10. This looks like a really fun event. Thanks for sharing all the photos you took. Love the black and white dress that Sophie Evans wore. She looks great in it. Thanks for sharing. :)
    Angela
    www.prettyinherpearls.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a lot of fun, one of those nights when you have to pinch yourself! Thanks for stopping by Angela x

      Delete
  11. Thanks for stopping by Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fine way to spend time, my dear.
    The dresses look lovely, and the models (I dare say) are not skina-and-bones, and that is a welcoming change!

    Hug
    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks like a fun event ... this creamy chocolate tart thing looks super yummy ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow penthouse and bubbles now that seems like an awesome
    fashion show!! The models all look gorgeous and the dress
    definitely is something I would rock!!
    Glad you had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lux place… just by being there I would feel fancy.
    I think the clothing are beautiful, I particularly liked the first dress and the one shoulder ruffled ones.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...