Tuesday 17 June 2014

The June Shopping Hunt

I have shopped rather a lot recently, and have found some great bargains from the high street, Ebay and car boot sales, some of which are vintage inspired but you'll have to excuse the odd meander through time with some of them!  Allow me to share my shopping experience with you, along with some of the things that I didn't buy, but might be of interest to you.  The fashionistas might call this a 'haul'.  Excuse some of the mobile pics, but this is meant to be more show and tell than a photography post!

First of all, I know you're all dying to hear about my trip to the huge new Primark concept store in Cardiff.  I got there at 9am on Friday morning, thinking that I would have a good hour of peace and quiet before the hordes arrived.  In reality, I had about 10 minutes of being able to walk around without people bumping into me and ramming their pushchairs into my ankles.  Everybody else had the same idea apparently.  Sigh.

June shopping


I tried on those palazzo trousers (£13) from the ad campaign, you might have seen them.  I liked them, they have a casual retro feel, but I couldn't think of where I'd wear them, and ended up leaving them behind, which I may live to regret.  Super length on them, with me being a tall girl I expected them to be half-mast but they were just right.

There are lots of lovely midi skirts in the summer range, including a floaty white number, £13, (which I did buy), and a very '50s looking one with a stamp print.  The only reason I didn't buy the latter is that I already have a midi skirt in those colours and couldn't justify one that's slightly different.  The cropped blue tee is from H&M, £3.99 and comes in a multitude of colours.

June Shopping

June shopping

This little dress (£13) is very sporty, it reminds me of a tennis dress, and I can't relate it to vintage in any way, I just liked it and imagine myself wearing it with my bright pink trainers as I go for a cycle.  It comes in lilac also.

June Shopping


Another dress that wasn't me but would be great on somebody shorter, with a straighter figure, was this white shirt dress, also available in navy.  On me it looked frumpy as the waist was too high and the bust too tight.  Darn it!

June shopping

I tried on a cute 'skort' too, but don't think it sat right on me, I'm sure at the front you're not supposed to see the leg of fabric underneath.  Lots of styles and colours in store though if you're after a skort!

June shopping

Finally in Primark I picked up some tee-shirts (£2), running shorts (£5), a flower hairband (£4) and I tried on some lace-trim nighties, but found the fit quite unflattering on me, as they fit more under the bust than on the waist, which always gives me maternity vibes.

June Shopping

The downsides of the new Primark store are as follows: There are no fitting rooms on the lingerie floor, so you have to either go up or down a floor.  There is only air con in the basement, the other floors were heating up on such a hot day.  Some sizes in certain things (like these gorgeous white cropped trousers I saw) had sold out already, despite the store having been open only 3 days at that point.  And finally, if the sales assistant makes an error at the till, as mine did, you have to trek it up to customer services on the top floor to have it put right.

Moving on to Peacocks, I picked up this gorgeous little sundress, with pockets, for just £16.  They have other colours and prints available in store, but online I could only see this one.  The length is perfect if you're after a more vintage look, and the light cotton fabric is super for hot days.  I could see Fleur from Diary of a Vintage Girl wearing this one.

June Shopping

I also bought some flip flops, despite hating things between my toes, because I want them for holidays, and on wearing them yesterday I've realised that flip flops make everyone walk like a pregnant woman, even if you're not pregnant.  Or a woman.  Watch someone walking in flip flops and you'll see what I mean.  I bought these simple ones with a jaunty bow for £6.

June Shopping

I didn't buy these sandals from M&S despite being in love with the colour and the soft suede.  They're gorgeous shoes, and I love them from above, but the OH said that from the side they made my legs look short, quite a feat on someone of my height.  I think I will stick to my wedges for summer sandals, I do prefer a bit of a heel rather than a completely flat shoe.

June shopping

June shopping

I also didn't buy these blue suede shoes from Dune, as the front of the shoe is rather too narrow for me.  They're now on sale for £48 or you can get them in a blush colour at the full price £69.

harpers

In Debenhams I headed to my French favourite, Promod, and picked up this gorgeous coloured dress with a dropped waist.  I think it has a bit of a '60s feel, and it was only £15.  You can order it online here.

June Shopping

If you're after some pin-up style shorts with a fitted waist and a loose fit through the hip then head straight to New Look, where they have these shorts in various colours for £14.  I bought the coral.  Excuse the creases, I didn't iron them!

June Shopping
 
That was it from the high street, but on Ebay after many months of waiting I managed to snag a new pair of these 1940s inspired Clarks shoes in black, for less than half price, after having bought the red ones last year and finding them perfect.

June Shopping

No summer shopping would be complete without a visit to the car boot sale, where I picked up 2 pairs of unworn leather boots for £5, still with tags/labels on, and a pretty little preloved dress for £1.

June Shopping


June Shopping

I'm all shopped out, for this month at least.  What do you think of my purchases?  Which do you like best??

I was kindly given a voucher to spend at Primark at their store opening, but all views are my own!

43 comments:

  1. love the blue and pink combo! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit unintentional as was just trying things on randomly, but I think I like it a lot too! x

      Delete
  2. Phew....that is some haul! I really love those Peacock flip flops, very cute with the bow! The white Primark skirt is absolutely gorgeous and the crop t is perfect with it. The 'sporty' Primark dress is great.....I can imagine you looking all glam on your bike! Some great purchases, I am always in awe of the amazing items people find at boot sales! I must try harder to get myself to one! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt exhausted just writing about it Michelle! x

      Delete
  3. You picked up some gorgeous things! I love the blue dress and the white midi skirt!

    xx

    Salted Roses // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 60's style blue dress, it's gorgeous and cute and I could wear something like that. I agree about the blue flat sandals shortening legs, I don't like them particularly much on anyone (except tiny people who look good in anything). The preloved dress listed last is also really cute, I like the collar and the print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame because the blue sandals looked amazing from above, but I really do think they shorten the legs from all other angles!! Frustrating. x

      Delete
  5. Holy cow, what a haul! I really love the tennis dress and the white midi--those are both so adorable. Also, I adore the white dress you didn't buy! I've been shopping like crazy, too, lately--I kinda need to cut back for a while. :P

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, me too - I was thinking on going on a ban for the rest of the summer, of only shopping in charity shops or the car boot sale. Want to join me in a pledge?! x

      Delete
  6. Oh my, what luck you have shopping! I love the sundress, though any dress with pockets is fantastic in my eyes. I'm also loving the sporty black dress, the neckline is fabulous and what great legs you have for wearing shorter styles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on toning those legs up though, they're not ready for close-ups!!! x

      Delete
  7. You really have been busy! Obviously, my favourite has to be the crop top right ;) you've confirmed my love for Peacocks - they're doing little wrong in my eyes at the moment... But actually, my real favourite is probably the white sandals you're wearing in some of these shots because I've been looking for some like these for ages!! Where were they from? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peacocks has been doing great, and I love how they're making a lot more in the UK now. x

      Delete
  8. I don't know if it is because I'm a recycling gal at heart or what but I liked your boots the best. LOL You've certainly been busy shopping though! : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boots are amazing. I have plans for the white ones - I might polish them up and add different laces to make them look more like '40s ice-skating boots?? x

      Delete
  9. Fab haul. I absolutely love your white skirt and the one with the stamps on - will definitely be on the lookout for that next time I hit the shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you can't find it, always happy to post things out to people! Spread the love and all that! x

      Delete
  10. I was with you on everything until the flip flops. I wear flip flops around my house as slippers in the summertime. So after reading your post I slipped them on and had a good laugh. Your right they do make you walk like a pregnant woman. Now I'm great full to you for pointing it out and thankful I only wear them around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee! I can't believe nobody else has noticed this?!

      Delete
  11. What many gems you found! Some great bargains too....like the cute pink shorts. You must try Cecil's for a themed vintage night out or the Candlelight Club is usually good too....hope you are having a fabulous week!
    May x
    www.walkinginmay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nights out in London are definitely on my agenda for later this year! I won't look as fab as you though, I'll have to find a nice frock! x

      Delete
  12. Nice catches! Love the white skirt on you! Love the tennis dress, the white shirtwaist dress (too bad you didn't like the fit), the sundress and the pre-loved dress! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was particularly sad about the fit of that white shirt dress, it would look stunning on the right person x

      Delete
  13. You did well with your haul, love that white skirt and the peacocks sun dress.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be wearing that sun dress this weekend for sure! x

      Delete
  14. That Peacocks dress is lovely!! Looks a good length considering the usual high street styles, I might try hunting that one down! I can rarely stand going into Primark, too stressful, too messy, but very handy for gym and loungewear for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised it was below the knee - good old Peacocks! Yes, Primark is stressful and messy, but the gym shorts I picked up are fab for the money, tested them out last night! x

      Delete
  15. Really lovely, fun pieces one and all. I am especially smitten with the stamp print skirt. Love, love, love and would, if I could, hop the pond just to buy one of my own (okay, I'd do a ton of other things in the UK, too, but sure would be fun to say that you went on a transatlantic flight for the sake of a single garment, no? :)).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only £13, so if you want me to get you one and post it over then let me know...! Although if you'd like to fly over then I'll take you to lunch! x

      Delete
  16. I'm trying to picture walking like a pregnant woman now, I guess this far along maybe I do it? I still feel like I'm striding along just a bit slower but maybe I'm really waddling?! Lol.

    Anyway the white Pri skirt is gorgeous, love the stamp one too & shirt dress, do like a shirt dress but I don't think I'll fit nursing boobs into any of mine any time soon! The cobalt M&S flats are also VERY tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot I liked, which is unusual! I think the high street is on fire at the moment!

      Delete
  17. I LOVE the cobalt sandals. Very cool. The stamp skirt is incredible. I can totally see you rocking that. :) Celina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO tempted with the skirt, but alas, couldn't justify it!! Kind of regretting it now...!

      Delete
  18. I really like the stamp print skirt - it's such a great length, as well as a great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love the blue sundress with the pockets! i can see wearing that on a summer picnic :)
    xo jac
    thesunshinedistrict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo yes, a picnic would be perfect for that dress - I'll have to rustle one up! x

      Delete
  20. Out of everything you showed I loved that first white midi skirt. It looked so pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many cute clothes in one post! I love love love the blue shoes and the 50s novelty print style midi skirt.
    Amia

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun post! I feel like I went shopping with you. :) Love the pretty summery white midi length skirt! Great Clarks vintage inspired shoes as well!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    fashionshoudbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, I guess I'm going to have to take a trip to Primark after reading this: SO many cute things!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Heisann!

    Thanks visiting my blog!
    Oh, my sister had a skirt like the one with stamps, but the design was vinyl records! I have it stored in the attics...
    You have a nice blog ;:OD)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...