Sunday 24 August 2014

A Retro Spin on Jeggings

These photos are from the start of the summer, just before the weather went baking hot, so I didn't end up posting them.  Now that it's cooling down again, I thought I'd dig them out for you.  It shows me wearing the polkadot trainers and bracelet that I wore in my last oufit post with a denim skirt, and the vintage bag that I used as part of a festival look here - all accessories that I have worn over and over, because they're so versatile!

I know jeggings are regarded with horror in many a vintage circle, but I tried to make them a little bit '50s with the cat eye glasses, hair and colour palette.

Retro Jeggings

Jeggings and trainers, TU at Sainsburys
Jumper and denim jacket, Gap
Hairband, hand dyed by me!
Sunglasses, vintage, gift.
Bracelet, local boutique
Lipstick, Kiss Me Coral by Revlon
Bag, vintage M&S via car boot sale

Retro Jeggings

Retro Jeggings

Retro Jeggings



Retro Jeggings

Retro Jeggings

Retro Jeggings

I was talking with a friend recently about how we both still thought of August as high summer, a hangover from our schooldays, when in reality it's July that's high summer, and Autumn can already be creeping in when you're over halfway into August.  It certainly has had that distinctive chill in the air.  Strange that it has come as quickly as summer did, with no gradual change - in tights one day, summer dresses the next, and then back into long sleeves again.  I have an entire wardrobe of things to wear when it's pleasantly warm, not hot, and the transition from cool to hot to cool has meant I haven't worn any of them so far this year!

I'm not ready for Autumn.  I haven't worn half the cute summer things I'd planned to, haven't been on enough picnics or watched enough sunsets.  I want to swim and sunbathe a bit more before I have to start wearing tights again.  So, I am soon off to Spain, to pack all of those summer things into one final burst before I get the 'back to school' mentality and start thinking about evening classes, hot chocolate, and Christmas.

Are you holding on to summer too?  Or are you looking forward to the months ahead?

17 comments:

  1. Kiss Me Coral adding a retro touch to another outfit, hooray! I actually don't mind jeggings - high waisted ones can look quite retro if styled right, like you've done here. I'm also not ready for summer either - I stockpiled summer outfits this year and have worn so few of them!! But, in a strange coincidence, I'm also off to Spain soon (early Oct) where it should still be hot enough to wear some of them. Hooray for overdue holidays :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a final burst of sun before winter, hopefully you will get to wear your summer outfits! I bet you'll have some super holiday snaps. I'm wondering, am I brave enough to get some shots of me in a bikini?! P x

      Delete
  2. You have styled your jeggings perfectly they look great. I always feel slightly melancholy at this time of year, I'm not quite ready to say good bye summer yet.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if because we've had a good summer that it makes it worse?! We know what we'll be missing! P x

      Delete
  3. You look lovely, the outfit does have a 1950s rockabilly chick vibe to it!
    No, I'm not ready for autumn yet, nor the return to school and routines and early mornings... Actually, I'm dreading it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The change can be hard, but there will be things about Autumn I will look forward to like hot chocolate, and kicking the leaves! P x

      Delete
  4. You look gorgeous, the leggings show off your fab figure.
    I've just looked back at my blog for a year ago today and I was wearing boots and a fake fur. This morning I've been out in a sleeveless dress and sunglasses, maybe Summer's back? Lucky you off to Spain. Have a fab time. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boots and fake fur?! Blimey, I remember last summer wasn't that great. I never really learn though, and packed all my warm stuff away in the attic at the start of the summer, only to have a few occasions when I really could have done with a proper coat!! Oh well, Spain will warm me up!! Px

      Delete
  5. I love your shoes. Love the polka dots and the colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, I thought they were cute too! P x

      Delete
  6. It's got a really classic appeal to it, and is the sort of outfit that wouldn't be all that out of place any time in the past 50 years. It seems silly to me that anyone would be aghast at jeggings - comfy pants have a place in everyone's wardrobe, IMO.
    I'm definitely looking forward to autumn, though. I think it has more to do with the fact that I'm kind of addicted to change, so after a few months of nice weather and bare legs and cotton sundresses, I'm ready to move on to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really lovely retro look! I must admit I haven't been wearing jeggings this year, but i will never say never, particularly when I've been back at the gym a bit longer ;) I must admit, I'm preparing to accept autumn, I've just realised what few dresses I have worn this summer so i'm determined to bring some out in September!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this look! I think jeggings are only horrifying if you pick a scary pair (which I have almost done a few times!). I think yours look love and very retro the way you've styled them :)
    Amia

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun look! I especially like those charming polka dot deck/Keds-esque type shoes. I was a massive fan of that style of shoe as a little girl (a pair with hot pink, purple and blue art splatter style splashes of colours really stands out in my memory), but haven't owned any in years. Seeing your super cute ones reminds me that I should look for some vintage-y style ones to clad my own feet in.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look, the polka dot sneaks are so cute, love the hair with your headband, and those cat eye sunglasses are sweeet!
    From the link up,
    Please stop by, jess
    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so right about July being high summer!! I totally took it for granted that August would be scorchio! Not making that mistake again! I'm not ready for Autumn just yet either! Great outfit & a good transitional one for Spring & Autumn! Ax


    Boots & a waterproof in August?! Whats going on?! An #ootd from yesterday & some cute new bracelets by a dear blogging buddy on the blog today! xx #rainraingoaway #fbloggers #fbloggersuk #fortystyle #susieho

    http://inmamaswardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...