Thursday 28 August 2014

Second-Hand Bargains Galore

Back to what I know best - the bargains of the boot sale and charity shop!  I have been on a SPREE!  I mentioned in a recent outfit post that I had a bit of guilt in wearing an all-new outfit, so here's what I've been buying, and hence 'recycling' to help save the planet.  At least that's what I tell myself, to assuage a new kind of guilt that comes with having too-many-dresses, even if they are mostly secondhand.

Anyway, you just want to see all of the bargains I picked up, so here they are - it's very photo heavy, I warn you!  The majority is high-street, but there's a smattering of vintage.

Charity Shop Finds
Vintage novelty brooch, £1.  My best find from my recent trip to Bude in Cornwall.  I'm unsure about the date, it's got a c clasp closure and little jewels in the dangly lemon.  The colours make me think 1950s, what do you reckon?

Vintage brooch



Karen Millen dress, £1.  It's slightly too big so drapes rather than hugs my body, but I think it's nice on anyway and can see myself getting at least one party out of it.  It will also still fit if I gain weight, so that might be good for the Christmas season!

Secondhand bargains

Check shirt, 50p.  Because you can never have enough cowgirl shirts.

Secondhand bargains

Silky blouse, 50p.  I thought this might look nice tucked into a pencil skirt for work.

Secondhand bargains

Embellished shoulder top, £1.  I actually bought this just for the beads, as I have several items in my wardrobe with beads missing, and this was a cheap option to get some replacements.

Secondhand Bargains

Secondhand Bargains

H&M dress, £1.  I didn't think this would fit, so bought it with a friend in mind, but it does, hurrah, so my friend loses out on this one.

Secondhand Bargains

Pussybow blouse, £1.  No, I haven't gone all 'new romantics' and won't be wearing this with leather trousers. I have a pinafore dress I think it might look nice under.

Secondhand bargains

80s dress, 50p.  I plan to alter this one slightly, as since reading Vix's story about her accidental exposure, I am terrified of strapless dresses.  I want to cut some fabric from the hem to make shoulder straps.

Secondhand bargains

Vintage 1950's dress, £1.50 (It was on the £2 rail, but when I said to the shop assistant, 'did you know that this is quite old?', she knocked 50p off!!).  It's several sizes too big for me, so I have to do some serious sewing to get it to fit me.  I just thought I'd do the side-seams first, and then have a look at the darts under the arm to get rid of any excess fabric there that will no doubt result.  Does that sound like a good plan?  I had a look in my Vogue sewing book but that's all about construction and doesn't cover alterations.

Secondhand bargains

Secondhand bargains

Vintage Trifari necklace (late '50s to late '60s because it has a 'c' copyright logo, I learnt that after looking it up online and finding this excellent article about identification marks), 50p (!).  A couple of pearls missing, but otherwise it's a fab bit of costume jewellery, and I have been looking at 'Trifari' online and other mid-century costume jewellery brands since to research it all (thanks again to Mim for giving me a few more names to look up!).  I know what I want for Christmas, there's some cracking pieces on Etsy.

Secondhand bargains

Welsh Car Boot Sale Finds
Three dresses for my friend, two from F&F (£2.50 each) and one from Topshop (£1).  Alas they don't fit my Amazonian frame, else I'd keep 'em!  If she doesn't want them I'll Ebay them.

Car boot bargains

Car boot bargains

Car boot bargains

F&F floral dress, £1.  I wasn't 100% sure about this one, as generally don't 'do' classic florals, but I like pink and this dress looks great on, albeit naughtily short.  I will take this one on holiday to Spain.

Secondhand bargains

Pink jumper, £1.  Cosy cotton, will wear lots on country walks this Autumn.

Secondhand bargains

George tunic, £1.50.  Perfect with leggings for slouchy days around the house.

Secondhand Bargains

Asos dresses, £6 each.  These were a bit of a risk at that price, but they fit well and I can wear them to work.  I love the collars, a bit Mad Men.

Secondhand bargains

Secondhand bargains

Intimissimi dress, £2.  Blimey, this one is low cut!  I might have to layer a camisole underneath. Not one for work.

Secondhand bargains

New Look dress, £1.  I love the collar and cuffs, and could always layer a longer skirt over the top to make it work appropriate.

Secondhand bargains

Finally, a cherry-print bag for £1.  It might be my holiday bag this year.

Secondhand bargains

Cornish Car Boot Sale Finds
Red Herring tunic, 50p.  Already worn this, love it, and has great sequin detail that you can't see in this photo.  But I must remember to wear a padded bra with this one, otherwise it's a bit baggy on top!

carboot

Striped top, 50p, that turned out to be a size too small, and will go back into the charity shop bag. Didn't have a photo of that one.

More for my friend, red jumper, £1, and rockabilly style dress, £2.

Car boot bargains

Car boot bargains


Total spend on myself, £29.50, with a little more on a few things for some friends.  I am all shopped out now and need to avoid buying anything more until I've actually worn all of these purchases and haven't just flung them into the depths of the wardrobe. Because this is basically a whole new wardrobe isn't it? Oops. I went back and donated a bag of clothes to the one charity shop because I felt they might need to replenish their stock.

So, it seems I have a 'spree' about twice a year, but at least these days I'm not spending that much and running up credit card debt, like the days before I discovered the joys of vintage and secondhand.  Car boot sale season will soon be winding down and wet days will force me to stay indoors and tackle some sewing projects, which I'm quite looking forward to.

What's your favourite out of the items I purchased?  Do you feel better about secondhand purchases than buying new?



28 comments:

  1. Blimey, what a ton of gorgeous bargains you got!
    I LOVE the shirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowww,all is beautiful :*
    Amazing post.
    And I like your blog too ;*

    Want to follow eachother? Maybe you like my blog too.
    fashionstyleglamfashion.blogspot.com
    Let me know if you followed me I will follow you right back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's some great stuff here! I loved reading your post and looking at all your purchases in detail. Its like charity shopping by proxy.
    Great idea to stick some straps on that pretty polka dot frock and I bet you could salvage some seed pearls from something else to tart up that fabulous choker. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee, that's why I love your shopping posts too!!

      x

      Delete
  4. Holy cow, you scored some great items! I adore the necklace, and that pink sweater is fall-fabulous. I do feel better about buying secondhand, too. There are so many fantastic garments out there that deserve to be worn. (And let's not forget how much cheaper it is!)

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I am going to be strict and have another clear out in Autumn to make sure I am actually wearing everything, otherwise I'll pass it on to someone who will wear it! x

      Delete
  5. Wow! You really did buy a whole new wardrobe! What a steal!

    My favourite by far is the brooch. Just love it.

    I actually feel good when I buy used,thrifted or vintage items as compared to when I buy retail and often feel guilty.

    Normally you wouldn't be able to get one piece for the amount you paid for all of that if you'd shopped retail.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! I do feel chuffed as well as still a teeny bit guilty!! x

      Delete
  6. That is fantastic that you got some many pieces for so little money. I try to be a good bargain shopper, but I could definitely stand to cut things back a little bit. One of my goals for my fall wardrobe is to spend less and thrift more, so this is some great inspiration. I think my favorite pieces that you picked up are those dresses from Asos. The shape and style is really great, and I love those collars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They fortunately fit nicely! I can see me wearing them a lot for work. Good luck with your fall budgeting! X

      Delete
  7. Quite the haul! And that brooch! So amazing!!!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I practically grabbed it off the shelf when I saw it!! I love fun stuff like that x

      Delete
  8. Wow, I think that is the actual definition of haul! Really good work - you're making me feel bad about my brand new obsession... or at least like I should rethink it! I love the white spotty dress, I think that'll look fab when you've given it straps - that's such a good idea to take material from the hem! Can't believe I've never thought of that before... not like I don't get nearly every one of my dresses shortened!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I'll pull it off or if it will look wonky?! I am such an amateur when it comes to sewing! I will share the results, even if it looks bad... X

      Delete
  9. That cocktail brooch is SO fabulous! Love the plaid dress too! To answer your question in regards to how many dresses I have - I am honestly not sure but I recently did a wardrobe clear out and I think the number is between 40 - 50 :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now feel TERRIBLE because I thought other people had a lot more dresses than me, but it seems like I'm the one with too many!! I think I had 100 last count... Oh dear. Thanks for stopping by lovely lady! X

      Delete
  10. Wowza you bought so much stuff. I can see how each piece can be brought bang up to date. You obviously have an eye for a bargain. Can't wait to see how you style them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to take me a while to get through them all though!! Will do an update when worn some of them x

      Delete
  11. Wow! That is quite a haul! I love all the founds you made! My favorites are the 80's dress, the 1950's dress, that necklace!, your f&f floral dress, the two asos dresses, the black and white polka dot with white collar and cuffs and that super cute cherry purse! But like I said, I love all your finds! I like the striped shirt with the bead work on the collar. I hope you will get at least one wear out of it before you start using it for extra beading! I think that 80's dress would look fabulous as a halter if you wanted to go that route with the straps. And I think your plan on altering the 1950's dress by first taking in the sides then the darts under the arms... With the last dress I took in I had good luck with just taking it in where seams were already. I hope it works out!

    I used to really love thrift shopping but now a days I just really really love the convince of buying online!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oo yes, a halterneck on the '80s dress might work, thanks for the suggestion! I have tacked in my alterations to the '50s dress, and while I've got a good fit now on waist and hips, the underarm area is still not right, so have asked a friend to help me, together I hope we'll manage it! Thanks for visiting x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woow !! Love all these treasures !! Polka dots are the best thing in the world .. and that bag of cherries quickened my heart. I wish we had thrift stores in my town. I am very jealous, dear Lady !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There must be something in the air because I've been shopping just a wee bit lately too, having said that this fine haul knocks mine into a cocked hat ;-)
    I like the spotty H&M dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what an amazing haul! I can't believe you got that gorgeous polka dot dress for £1.50 - what a steal! It's been absolutely ages since I went charity shopping (we don't have any near us, so I have to make a special trip for it, and I never seem to find the time!), but this has definitely inspired me to make the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, wow and wow again!!! What a major scoring run you've been on lately, dear gal!!! I had to scroll back through the photos again just to make sure I didn't dare miss any of your fabulous finds. You really unearthed some fantastic vintage and vintage appropriate pieces. There's almost a whole instant wardrobe in these items alone. Way to shop, save and score!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowsa you did well..!! love all but the asos dresses are my fav. and will be so versatile!
    I find shopping in charity shops abit hit and miss, but when a little gem is found its so much more rewarding! xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...