Friday 5 September 2014

Styling a Men's White Shirt: Old Hollywood Androgyny

House of Fraser got in touch to ask if I could style a men's white shirt with a vintage twist.  Immediately I thought of Marlene Dietrich and Katherine Hepburn, and their iconic looks.  Here's what I came up with.

Old Hollywood Androgyny


Old Hollywood Androgyny

Old Hollywood Androgyny

Old Hollywood Androgyny

Old Hollywood Androgyny

Old Hollywood Androgyny

Old Hollywood Androgyny

Trousers, Heyday
Brogues, J Shoes
Tie, H&M
Sunglasses, vintage Polaroid
Lippy, Giorgio Armani

I knew that the shirt would have to be crisp and classic for the look I wanted.  I chose a shirt by Simon Carter, a slim fitting one with a subtle stripe (£25 down from £50 in the sale).  There was a huge range (365!) of white shirts online, and when I went into my local store it took me the best part of an hour to select an armful to try on and make it to the till.  Predictably, the first one I tried on was the best!

What have I learnt about men's shirts?  Well, it seems that they vary as much in fit as women's.  I strongly recommend trying on lots of different brands and styles until you get one that fits perfectly.  I went for a 15" collar in the Simon Carter, and the fit was good on my shoulders and across the chest - other brands in the same size were huge on the shoulders, or too baggy around the middle.  Muscle-fit didn't work on my figure, and I didn't like the small modern collars you sometimes get.  I should also mention that I'm a tall girl, and I really think petite ladies would be swamped in even the smallest sizes of men's shirts.   It's also very confusing having to button shirts up the 'wrong' way, I think that's why I took so long in the changing rooms!  Not being familiar with a lot of men's brands, I had to look at and touch the shirts to get an idea of quality - again, there's a lot of variation just as there is with womenswear.  I also realised that I needed a shirt with a button cuff, as I can't manage cufflinks, and would need a valet for that.

Marlene Dietrich was my main inspiration for the look.

dietrich

And here is some more white-shirt vintage inspiration!

White shirt

White shirt

White shirt

White shirt

White shirt

Would you wear a men's shirt?  What do you think of my attempt at the challenge?

This feature is brought to you in collaboration with House of Fraser, but as always, views are my own!

Linkups:

25 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job, you look so glamorous and gorgeous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very cool! Great job : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is WOW! You look amazing.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done both of those iconically stylish women proud with this fantastic menswear influenced outfit (which looks stunning on you, I should add).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic look on you. I definitely see Marlene and Katherine in there, and also a little bit of Annie Hall (which I hope you don't consider a bad thing). I know the shirt is kind of the centerpiece of the look, but I love those trousers. I've been on the lookout for the perfect pair of high waist, wide leg pants for fall, and I'm starting to think that might be something I'll have to splurge on. What do you think of the ones that you have? What's the fit like? I feel like even with the vintage reproduction brands, I'd still have to alter them to fit both my waist and my hips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in replying to this - I find that since Heyday changed the rise slightly on their pattern a few years ago, they no longer fit me. These are perfect though, and apart from the length (I'm tall) are unaltered. I also have a couple of pairs of swing trousers from 20th Century Foxy that are much looser on me than they're meant to be - but I sized up to ensure the waist gave enough breathing room, as I don't like things super tight, and again I had to tackle the hems. I'd just keep trying different ones if you can, and always measure yourself very carefully and ask for exact measurements of the garments from the shops, they're usually happy to help. I don't mind the Annie Hall comment at all!! P x

      Delete
  6. Interesting challenge! With my bust and small shoulders I can't imagine ever wearing a man's shirt that doesn't look atrocious, but it really works here on you with the way you've styled it. You look fab and I can totally see the Marlene inspiration. Great post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first thought of Marlene Dietrich when I saw your picture too!!! So cool! I love your pairing with the high waist pants! Those side buttons are so perfect! And those shoes!!!! Love love! Love this whole look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good icons to take inspiration from - it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look amazing, love those high waisted trousers. This would be such a great evening look with the top button undone and a loose botwie and hair slicked back at the sides xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fabulous on you! I love everything about it. The teal t is pretty and I just lve your vintage inspiration. I thought of Katherine Hepburn and Marlena Dietrich as well. Glad to see Katherine Hepburn as a style icon, as everyone chooses Audrey! The trousers and men's inspired oxfords are awesome as well
    from the link up
    please stop by,
    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this old hollywood androgyny look! You have captured it wonderfully! Kudos!
    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look just gorgeous :) x


    http://www.fashionadventuresatanyage.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look just gorgeous :) x

    http://www.fashionadventuresatanyage.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness, you have recreated this look perfectly, right down to your hair! LOVE the shot on the steps--- those shoes! Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sexy take on the masculine look..love it! yes, I would and have worn a mans shirt! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girrrrrrl, you rock that look so well! Looking good.

    Nell
    On Hayden Lane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...this is so sexy in a subtle way. I love this paired with the high waisted pants.

    This would be perfect for my link tomorrow - Throw Back Thursdays. I hope you will join me.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. How amazing do you look?! Love it & your inspiration! Ax

    http://inmamaswardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely love how you've styled this - just so glamorous and elegant.

    http://fashion-mommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW Porcelina, Old Hollywood Glam. I love those wide trousers paired with the white button-down shirt & bright tie. The shoes and hairstyle suit the outfit, beautifully, also. You look a little bit like Greta Garbo. =)

    Enjoy the weekend, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simply stunning! What a wonderful job you did with the challenge. And those pants - oh my, they are positively lovely!

    Jennie
    http://www.apocketfulofpolkadots.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun post! I love the photos of you! That is such a great way to wear that blouse. Stopping in from the link up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are great photos. This look suits you to a tee! I like the mix of feminine hair and makeup with the masculine outfit!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...