Monday 29 December 2014

Christmas Spirit

I hope you're all enjoying the festive season?  It's time for a catch-up.  I have been a bit quiet over Christmas as I was ill.  Nothing serious, just a cold, but it knocked me for six and left me draped over the sofa for three days straight.  On Christmas Eve, as I started to feel unwell, our living room still looked like this, after all the epic DIY we've been undertaking:

Christmas spirit

Christmas spirit

We managed to clean it up and move the furniture back in.  There was still a section of wall unpainted, drying out from a leak during the wild weather we had a few weeks ago, and we never did get around to laying that parquet after realising we would never get it sanded on time anyway.  We stuck a bit of old carpet and a rug over the unfinished section of floor to hide its concrete surface, but at midnight, I had to call it a day and headed to bed, leaving the house undecorated for the first Christmas ever.  I had anticipated relaxed carols and cocktails around the tree, kisses under mistletoe, and wearing a killer party frock.  Instead, I'd spent the evening on my hands and knees in old jeans and a hoodie, scrubbing blocks of parquet while my Baby finished up the custom skirting-board.

There was no tree, no stockings hung, no mince pie for Father Christmas, and no carrot for the reindeer.

I went to sleep with a heavy heart, feeling very un-Christmassy, horridly ill, and utterly exhausted.  This was not what I had planned for our first Christmas Eve alone together.

On Christmas morning, it appeared that the elves had visited in the night!  I came downstairs in my pyjamas to see a beautifully decorated tree, and the living room decorated throughout.  I felt like a child seeing snow for the first time at Christmas.  Quite honestly, I sobbed a little, with my cold-addled brain not quite being able to cope with this 'miracle'.  My wonderful man explained that he'd stayed up until 6 o'clock in the morning putting up decorations and tidying up, and that all he wanted was for me to be happy at Christmas.

Christmas spirit

Christmas spirit

As if that wasn't enough, he later single-handedly cooked up the best Christmas dinner I have ever eaten (sprouts and leeks with chestnuts, bacon and cream anyone?!) while I was curled up on the sofa in front of the new woodburning stove.

Christmas was very different to what we envisaged.  We didn't have our house ready in time to throw a pre-Christmas party, we didn't do the decorating or cooking together, we didn't go for a Christmas walk, play games, or any of the other things we had planned, not even managing to make the annual family get-together on Boxing Day.  Being ill and the whole DIY debacle could have made it the worst Christmas, if that's what I was measuring it by.  But, in terms of Christmas magic, and experiencing the meaning of Christmas (which for me is about love and peace on earth, with no religious connections), it was the best Christmas I've ever had.  It was relaxed and cosy, I was very well taken care of, and we started a few traditions of our own, like burning a Yule log.

I hope that my Baby never has to experience a Christmas Day being ill, but if he does, I'll try and be the best Christmas Elf I can be!

Was your Christmas as you expected it to be?  I hope you weren't ill too!

16 comments:

  1. Your boyfriend sounds like a keeper! Hope you're feeling better now.
    Every day can be special, why not have a get together in February instead? Peace and love is for life, not just for Xmas! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started reading this post my heart sank, but then I was smiling by the end. What a lovely tale, that fiancee of yours certainly done good. Sorry you've been ill though - I think we've all been there one time or another and it sucks. But as long as you've got people to look after you around it's not so bad :) I also burned a yule log, admittedly at my boyfriend's parents' house, but still! Hopefully New Year is a bit less infection-filled for you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Vix definitely a keeper! I too was ill it seems to have caught a lot of people this year, I hope you are over the worst. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweetie! You were really like Cindy Lou in Whoville on Christmas morning.

    I hope you are feeling better now. Sounds like some serious nesting is going on there.

    Your house is really starting to take shape.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a heartwarmingly beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your honey's thoughtfulness with us. He is a gem of a chap through and through.

    Wishing you a speedy recovery and very lovely New Year's celebration, dear Porcelina.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet story - a perfect example of Christmas and holidays are really about: giving from the heart.
    The tree looks great, and the walls are magnificent!!

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you were poorly over Christmas, but how nice of your boyfriend to do that for you both:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've been ill before at Christmas and it really sucks. When you want to enjoy everything, but feel like all you want to do is go to bed, it's soul destroying. However, your man sounds like an absolute star bringing the Christmas spirit well and truly into your home on Christmas morning. Okay, it wasn't what you had planned, but what a way to remember your first one together. Hope you're feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! And the winner of best man of the year goes to..... Seriously! What an amazing thing to do! I'm sorry you didn't feel well, but what a joyous surprise!

    Like you, we had a very different Christmas than years past since we moved. It was awkward and completely unlike any years past.

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit, I teared up a little bit when I got to the Christmas Magic bit. That was really, really sweet of your guy to do that for you, and that's the sort of thoughtful gesture that makes you go "yeah, definitely glad I'm marrying you." It's so frustrating when things to do according to plan, but it's lovely that he made such an effort to give you a lovely Christmas anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, I'm sorry you were ill, but what a lovely man you have there, to make such an effort for you! The things about Christmas is... It happens every year (yeah, I know you know that!) so if you couldn't have your sitting room finished and your Christmas party this year, there's always next year! Or anytime, come to that. Hope you are feeling well enough to celebrate NYE! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, what a lovely man he is. I hope you can bring back that Christmas spirit every December - without the lurgy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Even though it's not the Christmas you were envisioning, it sounds like the most wonderful, sweetest, and most special Christmas ever! Definitely a Christmas to remember and such a sweet story which is only made more special because it's the first Christmas you two have spent alone. What a wonderful man you have!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You gave me goosebumps. That is straight out of a romance novel! How utterly wonderful your man is! I love love love this story. I am sorry you were ill, but what a beautiful story. It seriously made my entire night! Thank you for sharing it! And I am glad you feel better now!

    Happy Belated Christmas!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  15. In the words of my Mister - "What a legend!" In my own words - "Aww!" *tears up* ('scuse the pregnancy hormones rampaging here).... That is so romantic and perfectly sweet! I'm glad you were able to have such a lovely Christmas even though you weren't feeling well. Happy New Year! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for your sweet comments! He said "it was worth it to see your face in the morning", makes me sound like I'm 5, but I felt about that age! X

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...