Sunday 14 December 2014

Vintage Residential Architecture

Wherever I go, I love to wander around a new neighbourhood and look at the range of architecture.  Looking at residences rather than public buildings is more fun to me.  I can more easily imagine myself living in a Georgian terrace, a Victorian mansion, or a 1930's semi-detached.  Here are the buildings that caught my eye on a rather blustery walk around a residential area in Swansea, here in South Wales.

These Victorian mansions have been left to crumble, as the right price for a sale hasn't been reached.  It's so sad to see buildings like these wither away, they would have been glorious.  The average house price on this street is £617,000 according to Zoopla.

Vintage Architecture in Swansea

Vintage Architecture in Swansea

Here are some other Victorian buildings in the neighbourhood, that are thankfully being looked after.

Vintage Architecture in Swansea
I think this one is a care home, so my fantasy of someone living in the tower probably isn't true.

Vintage Architecture in Swansea

Vintage Architecture in Swansea
This would have been an old coach house attached to one of the grand houses.

Vintage Architecture in Swansea

This one is currently up for sale with John Francis, five bedrooms, around £650,000.

Vintage Architecture in Swansea
There's also a little 1930's estate.

And a few homes that I can't quite date - the first two maybe Georgian?

Vintage Architecture in Swansea

Vintage Architecture in Swansea

Vintage Architecture in Swansea

And then some more Victorian terraces nearby.

Vintage Architecture in Swansea

Vintage Architecture in Swansea


There you go, a virtual tour for you!










6 comments:

  1. What very smart houses! Though I wouldn't have painted the Georgian one pink... Thanks for the tour!
    PS. No worries about the top! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unbelievable what some people do - we recently found evidence that our white and brick house was once painted a foul blue!

      Delete
  2. £617,000 average house prices on a street... and I thought mine was bad! Mind you, mine is c.£400k for a street of what are essentially pretty small Georgian terraces, so I still feel like it's pretty bad!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful! I actually really love that first one, there's something really beautiful, if sad, about that kind of decaying gradeur.
    This is one of my favorite things to do when I'm traveling - I just kind of get lost wandering around residential streets, checking out all the different houses and wondering what it's like to live in them. I should really make a point to stop and look at more of the pretty houses in my neighborhood, actually, since I live in a pretty historic area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am precisely the same way when it comes to visiting a new neighbourhood. With old homes and buildings being such a rarity in a lot of parts of British Columbia this days, I look upon such explorations as treasure hunts to spot and any all pre-60s architecture that I possibly can!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you I too look for unique architecture to photograph! These are spectacular shots!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...