Wednesday 11 February 2015

The Pre Spending Ban Spending Spree

Charity shop and car boot sale shopping ruin you a bit for proper shops.  It's like being in a foreign and very expensive country when I accidentally wander into John Lewis these days.  The exception can be some of the ridiculously discounted high street sales that they have nowadays, as well as outlets of course.

Now that my #100daysnospend clothing purchase ban is in place, I thought I'd share some pictures of the shopping I managed to squeeze in before the ban was enforced.  I didn't purposefully 'go sale shopping' this year, but the charity shops have been fruitful, and we did go to some outlets as I as after some yoga gear.  The outlets near me are particularly good for sports and outdoor clothing.  (I used to run and do yoga in any old thing but once you try the proper high performance fabrics you can't go back!).  Here's what I bought, and whether I've worn it yet:

Charity shop finds.  All modern, no vintage this time.

J Crew silk dress, £2.  Not my usual choice of colours and I'm not keen on florals, but it's silk, it was cheap, and it fits perfectly, so it might be a holiday dress contender.  Not worn it yet.

Haul

M&S stripe dress, £2.  Not stepping out of my comfort zone with this one as I already have several striped tops and black skirts that I could use to create this look with!  A bit of déjà vu.  Worn this once, needs a non-static slip underneath because with tights it's a nightmare at riding up!

haul

Asda jumper dress, £1.  Another one of those stretchy jumper dresses that I favour to wear at home with leggings, to be comfy and dressed down in.  Worn a few times.

Haul

Next outlet purchases.  I spent a total of £54 on the following 7 dresses.

Short white dress.  I wore this on New Year's Eve and fell in love with it.  I'd envisaged it as a work dress but teamed with gold accessories it proved that it glammed up nicely for evening.  Worn once.

Haul

Black sheer sleeve tunic dress.  I think Claudia Winkleman wears this kind of dress!  Worn two or three times.

Haul

Black bow dress.  I thought this could do for work, or maybe lunch whilst on a European city break in the Spring.  Unworn.

Haul

Black bow back dress.  I love dresses that are unassuming from the front, and then you turn around and bam, there's the sexiness.  Unworn.

front and back

Grey floaty dress.  This was the most expensive dress (£12) and the one I was least sure of.  It said 'Alexa Chung' to me.  At home I tried it with a belt and it was instantly improved, so I'm keeping it.  Unworn.

Haul

Coral mid length dress.  The best thing about this dress is that it was from the tall section, so hits me perfectly mid-calf.  I could see this as a wedding guest outfit.  Unworn.

Haul

Green midi dress, £5.  Another one for the office, you can't go wrong with this kind of dress, and again it hits me mid calf.  Worn a few times to work.  Perfect.

Haul

Other shopping
From the Levi's outlet, wool jumper, £17.  The other half hates this so I partly bought it in defiance.  It will do as a warm but thin layer for country walks.  Have been living in it around the house!

Haul

From Sainsbury's, top, £8.  One to stash away for summer.  Unworn.

haul

From Sports Direct outlet, two baselayer tops, £12.50 for two.  Essential for yoga in a chilly sports centre.  Worn lots, they're really good at helping me stay toasty.

Haul

Faux fur trim cardigan, Tesco, £10.  This was utterly frivolous, but I love it!  Unworn.

Haul

I had a lovely Warehouse top as a Christmas present, but it didn't fit, so I exchanged it at Debenhams and also used up some of a gift voucher, returning with a pair of black trousers, £10, and a red blouse, £15.  It's incredibly rare for me to find a pair of high-street trousers that actually fit.  These aren't perfect, but they're close.  The secret is the stretch, the absence of pockets, the sensible 'rise' and the cropped length.  The blouse drapes beautifully even though the other half says the front of it looks like a horse.  Neither have been worn yet.

Haul

Haul

That's a total spend of £105, plus some of a gift voucher, which won't break the bank but was enough of a splurge to be exciting and it gave me a little boost to face January with.  Oh, and February and March, and some of April, because I'm only on day 44 of the 100 day spending ban.  Thursday 9th April seems a long way away, the day I am officially allowed to shop again.  But let's be honest that there are quite a few items in my purchases above that I haven't worn yet, so I really can't complain.

I'm also setting myself another target of getting rid of 100 items (not just clothes) as a bit of a decluttering challenge.  As the flow into my wardrobe is temporarily stemmed it might be the perfect time to cull the unworn and the unflattering.  I've already taken 7 pairs of shoes to the charity shop, along with 5 cookbooks, and a bag of around 20 VHS tapes.

Have you hit the sales this year?  Or have you been sensible and stayed away from the shops?  Are you avoiding shopping for a time or having a declutter??

14 comments:

  1. My, that is quite the haul! I like the fur trim cardi.

    I don't think I've ever been shopping in the sales. I'm not fond of shopping as most things don't fit me properly because of my height (they fall too short or at an unflattering length) or I can't get a good fit because of my hip waist ratio. It becomes a chore so I steer clear. I did buy two new circle skirts this January though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shopping for a non-standard size or shape can be a nightmare, I hear you!! Because I've been an avid shopper for so long I know which brands and cuts will fit my height before trying them on generally, which does save a lot of time these days x

      Delete
  2. I bought a new dress on January sale, but other than that I haven't spent money. I originally thought I wouldn't shop any clothes on January, but then I saw -20% sale on Vivien of Holloway and decided to grab the dress I'd been yearning for. Not a big discount, but still better than full price.

    I love that striped dress and the first black dress, they're really cute :) I might shop quite often, but I wear everything I buy at least once, usually more than that. I need to get rid of some clothes I don't wear anymore and maybe cut on shopping at least until it's spring and all new pretty spring/summer collections arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can actually see that first dress looking absolutely beautiful on you... you say you don't do florals, but you were knock-out in that Voodoo Vixen dress and flower crown, so I say you do!! You got so many bargains, you put my bargain hunting to shame... Although I got some GREAT bargains in the online sales at Christmas, one of which is a quirky yet gorgeous coat I can't wait to share on the blog because it's just so different and I got it for less than half price. Coats in the sale are my absolute favourite as it literally never happens to me! CC x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm honestly not sure I could manage a 100 day no shopping thing I have nothing but admiration. I like your thinking of a good pre-ban sales shop to see you through though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I did the same thing. Gotta have a little something to tide you through those long days of no shopping, right?
    I'm really impressed by your finds - not even in a "for the price" kind of way, just impressed, full stop. That J Crew dress is gorgeous and will look beautiful on you, and those pants are quite the find.
    I see the horse, though, not gonna lie.
    Cheers,
    Zella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My other half will be reassured deeply about the horse's head!! Oo you did some sneaky pre-banx shopping too? Whatcha get?

      Delete
  6. So many dresses! Yes, you can work your way through those and not feel the pinch of a shopping ban for a good while! I can imagine you looking beautiful in all of them.
    I am a fish out of water in regular high street stores; appalled at the quality and price, unimpressed by the styles most of the time... For me, secondhand shopping and vintage clothing in particular has definitely removed any appeal the high street ever had. So no, my only sales shopping has been £1 rails in charity shops or sale rails at vintage fairs! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the Queen of second-hand Curtise!! You always find so much great vintage up your way too, I am tempted to go on a charity shop tour of the UK this year!! X

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's a lot of clothes!

    Shopping on the high street does my head in nowadays. The quality of the fabric in so many places is so poor, I really struggled to spend some Debenhams vouchers in the sale. I should go shopping with you, you find ace things!

    Decluttering. I ought to do that, but can't!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome haul! I know exactly what you mean about thrift store (and wayyyyy back in the day, often online vintage shopping, too, but sadly that ship has long since sailed) prices "ruining" you for modern stores. I'm the same way, too, with few exceptions in the fashion, decor and furniture front (and to a lesser degree, because I don't buy as many second hand ones as I used to in my earlier days, books as well). I can't help but think that this must ring true for a fair number of us, especially those on tight budgets, in the vintage loving world.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. No wonder you aren't shopping for 100 days, that's a lot of clobber!
    The only shop I was ever interested in was TopShop which closed down in our high street a number of years ago. I'd stalk their sales rails for Kate Moss stuff but other than that retail shopping holds no interest when there's so much great vintage in the chazzas. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo you're back from hols, I will pop over to your blog this weekend, dying to see some snaps!! There was a good run of Kate Moss stuff for Topshop, mainly because it was based on vintage pieces from her own wardrobe! X

      Delete
  10. You did well!!! I have given up clothes shopping for Lent so I am feeling your pain! It's good though! Stopping me from going out and filling yet more space I don'thave!x

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...