Tuesday 24 February 2015

Vintage Inspired Wedding Dresses on a Budget: 1940s

I have to confess that the 1940s proved to be a difficult decade to find vintage-inspired bridal looks from.  I was almost ready to admit defeat, when I came across a couple of truly fabulous options, and sighed in relief that there are actually some dresses within a reasonable budget!  Once again, all of these finds are under £300 - well, under £200 this time as they seem to have come in cheaper than the 1930s. (see my post here for 1930s bridal inspiration).

1940s Wedding Dresses Budget
A glimpse of the gorgeousness to come...

The 1940s were a time when generally people continued to get married in their Sunday best - either a suit or a simple dress - unless they were affluent enough to afford the Hollywood silk gown that we all picture.  Gowns had changed a bit from the mid 1930s; though they may still be in silk-satin, but they weren't quite so slinky in silhouette, the necklines had perhaps changed to a sweetheart, and there may be some shoulder-pads added.  I've tried to show 'gowns' as well as dresses here, but haven't found any suit options.

Addendum: My mother, after reading this blog post, would like to add that even if you could afford it, a proper wedding gown was very, very hard to track down in the 1940s!  In our own family, a lady managed to get hold of one (black market?!) and a few months after she wore it she passed it on to another family member to wear too.  You can read more about real weddings in Britain on the Imperial War Museum website here, who are currently doing an exhibition of 'Fashion on the Ration'.

First of all, Vivien of Holloway does a 1940's style sarong dress (£110) with matching bolero (£30), in white or ivory satin.  This could be a fantastic look for a destination wedding.

1940s wedding dresses budget

The Seamstress of Bloomsbury which reproduces original vintage designs has the Lisa dress in white (£79) which might be an option for '40s enthusiasts who appreciate the chic and simple.  I'd wear a fabulous original 1940s hat with this one (try The '40s Room) and the obligatory seamed stockings from What Katie Did.

1940s wedding dresses budget

This was where I was ready to give up, and admit that there's not much out there for the '40s loving bride.  Then I found Hubba Hubba, a British company creating fabulous vintage reproduction, and my heart sang.  They offer the stunning Josephine dress (£180) in ivory.  How gorgeous is that dress?!  (Note: they also do it in a proper 'bridal' version with train and button-back detail, but at £595 I can't feature it in my 'budget' choices!)

1940s wedding dresses budget

1940s wedding dresses budget

Also from Hubba Hubba is the Loretta gown (£180), which while pictured in teal, also comes in ivory.


1940s wedding dresses budget

1940s wedding dresses budget

Either of those dresses would make wonderful bridal gowns, but wait, there's more!  If long dresses aren't your style then the Veronica cocktail dress (£150) again comes in ivory.

1940s wedding dresses budget

1940s wedding dresses budget

I'm most impressed with Hubba Hubba - do pay their website a visit, and let me know if you have actually bought anything from there?  They've also got a Facebook page here.

Overall I found that the internet is very confused about what 1940's wedding dresses look like!  My searches brought up lots of 1950's style dresses and many shops seemed to use the decades interchangeably, which was frustrating!  If you're after an original 1940's gown then you'll have to do your homework in terms of researching styles so you're sure it's from the 1940s rather than later, but there are lots and lots available on Etsy and Ebay, and they tend to be around £200-£300 - which is still a bargain in the world of wedding dresses, believe me.

Have you seen any more wedding dresses or suits in a 1940s style?  Please let me know and I'll add to this list!

 Linking up with: Friday's Fab FavouritesThe Style Files,

17 comments:

  1. Love this idea for a series, I do love perving on dresses!

    www.shystrangemanic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so breathtakingly beautiful! Swoon!!! My dream vintage wedding dress would be a late 40s or early 50s fitted, full skirted, long sleeved number, though I must say, if the sleeves were longer, I'd be tempted by the VOH offering, too. Yep, I'm officially daydreaming about wedding dresses - errr, future vow renewal ceremony - dresses now right alongside you! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely collection of dresses! It must be heard when looking for vintage pieces, as I'd suspect a lot of pieces being sold would be by people who don't really know a lot about the eras themselves and just guess at where things may belong!

    You managed to find some lovely dresses though!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous dresses and pics xx

    www.seeonebuyone.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubba Hubba was such a great find for that little wedding gem! Well done, because like you I've noticed the vague era dating that some of these dress websites do... I'm not looking for me though, honest! One of my best friends got engaged at the weekend and I'm of course helping her with dress research... which, ok, might be more aligned with my tastes than hers - but it's all good to know, right?! I can't wait to see what you find for 50s, I've been waiting for that one! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not long to wait until I do the '50s, promise!!

      Delete
  6. My grandmother married in the 50s and I always wonder what the gowns were like.
    From what I see of that era, they were very simple ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of lace is what I associate with '50s wedding dresses, but there are tonnes to ogle over on etsy. Do you have any photos of your grandmother's wedding? Would be lovely to see! x

      Delete
  7. I had never heard of Hubba Hubba before, thank you for digging them up! Not wedding related, but they've got this 30s jumpsuit/beach pajamas that I'm seriously drooling over. And I love that they do bespoke, because some things are just so hard to fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that is exactly the item that caught my eye too!! Even my other half thought they were pretty damn sexy. Perhaps I should just get married in those...?
      x

      Delete
  8. I love the look of the teal Lorette gown from Hubba Hubba. Such a gorgeous color.
    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I hadn't heard of Hubba Hubba. Good find!

    Of course, here in the UK with rationing in full swing, a lot of people just wore nice but fairly normal clothes to get married in - there simply wasn't the fabric for 'proper' wedding dresses' and they needed something they could rewear afterwards. I've never been able to work out whether mine was late 30s or early 40s; I suppose it might have been repurposed during rationing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - like I said, 'Sunday Best' was often what people got married in. All our family photos from the '40s show brides in suits, or smart dresses, and the gents tended to be in military uniform.

      Your dress is stunning by the way, but I wouldn't be able to pin it down either!
      x

      Delete
  10. I haven't heard of Hubba Hubba. This is a gorgeous collection of dresses! I love the 40's styles! So glamorous!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting to know that 1940's is such a particularly hard to find era for wedding dresses! Love all these pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit I don't know what a 1940's wedding dress would look like! These dresses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for showing me hubba hubba! You have given me renewed hope of finding an affordable reproduction 40s dress for my wedding.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...