Sunday 4 August 2019

Old, With Tags

My obsession with vintage workwear continues.  You might remember the fabulous his-and-hers chore jackets that Chris and I bought from a car boot sale.  I'm not seeking this kind of thing out, it just seems to find me!  A recent chance conversation with some regular sellers at our local car boot sale led to being able to visit their Aladdin's cave (warehouse), and I came away with some gems.  The latest additions to my collection are a pair of "deadstock" (still with tags on) housecoats or aprons.  Firstly is this fabulous 1960s mini length little housecoat, in eye-popping colours and a sweet daisy print, with ric-rac on the pockets.  This one had no brand label, the tag was a plain paper one with 'Wx' (W for women?  And x for large or freesize?) printed on it.  Price £1.47 and 1/2p.  That's equivalent to £28.23 of purchasing power today.  I read in the Mary Quant exhibition that a Bazaar shop assistant earned under £7 a week.  I wore this jazzy number for a day of chores around the house, including scraping wallpaper, sewing, cleaning, and picking some tiny but tasty plums from the trees in our front garden.  I especially like the exaggerated sleeves, they stick out to give an American football player silhouette.







I think these plum trees are 'Mirabelle' or cherry plums.

Next up is this wrap housecoat.  It's quite a 'utility' style.  I'm guessing late 1940s from the style and label.  A little bit of internet research, and I've found that "Hercules" was a fabric brand manufactured by Joshua Hoyle & Sons of Manchester.



I can't bear to take the label off yet!

Image source: Grace's Guide 

What will I find next to add to my collection?  I'm happy to keep collecting - unlike ballgowns, this kind of garment certainly gets a lot of wear in my house!


9 comments:

  1. I'm always uttering a little squeal of joy upon finding old things with tags! I'm always imagining the sighs of relief these items of clothing must utter when finally, finally, they are off to a good home and be worn and used, instead of languishing in the back of a shop. The 1960s housecoat is so groovy, I'm sure it makes housework a breeze. As for the Hercules wrap housecoat, how delightful it is. And so is the label, which I have no doubt you will keep! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours are so cheery, it makes me smile when I wear it! I'm not known for smiling during housework!!

      Delete
  2. Ah...deadstock, the holy grail of vintage collectors.

    I can see why you haven't removed the tag yet on the wrap apron.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah you are so good in hunting for those treasures! I need to get my act together next time I'm in the UK! And out on my bargain hunt eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant finds! It must be amazing to find something new with tags... I always keep the tags in case I want to pass the garment on, so the next owner can enjoy a little bit of history too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep the tags too, I have them all in a folder together! I was thinking of framing some.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, sometimes I sense that too, that things "find me".
    I love that first bright piece you are wearing, the print is formidable and I would have bought the apron just for the label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like it's meant to be doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. What a cute top! I always struggled with deadstock/new-old stock items! I always feel like they should be preserved! But I also want to wear them! So I keep the tags!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...