Saturday 21 March 2020

Perspective

What a difference a week makes.  This time last week I was enjoying a family outing to the seaside.  We had a long walk along the clifftops and down through the lovely gardens to the pier, stopping for a picnic on a park bench.







I was very much looking forward to the weather picking up so that I could start enjoying more outings, after observing the 'fourth trimester' of mainly staying home snuggling up to baby.  I recently started back to my spin class, went to some baby groups, and was planning the rest of the year.  I envisaged spending my maternity leave having leisurely coffees and lunches with the new mum friends I was going to make, going on holidays, taking the baby to classes for swimming, baby massage and more. I was intending on spending as much time with my parents as possible for them to enjoy seeing their grandchild grow.  I had bought my leisure centre membership for the year in advance, and was making a list of places to visit with my National Trust membership.  We were looking forward to introducing the baby to his first music festival, and to hear his daddy play a gig for the first time.
 
Well, things are looking very different today aren't they?!  We've made the decision to isolate our household for 14 days.  This is because we have at-risk parents, who we don't want to miss out on seeing the baby if they are really to isolate for 12 weeks for their own safety.  Fingers crossed, if at the end of the 14 days we're all symptomless, we will be able to meet up.  We're lucky that we're able to do this, with myself being on maternity leave, and Chris working from home.  If we can help the wider situation by not being out there, potentially spreading the virus, then we feel we should.  We are also lucky to live in a semi-rural location, which means that it's easy for us to get out for some fresh air now and again whilst keeping a large distance between us and other people.




We're on day 4 of isolation now, and apart from a foolish oversight that means there's only half a bar of chocolate, we've enough provisions to see us through.  It's a good time to use up everything in the freezer and then give it a defrost and clean!  We'll have to order a couple of things like milk to be delivered, but luckily there are some local businesses responding to the situation by offering this service by telephone order, that I will use instead of an online delivery from the local massive supermarket.  It wasn't easy getting hold of some of the baby items we needed before we went into isolation, thanks to some really thoughtless stockpilers who stripped the shelves of essentials like nappies.  I'm so glad that I'm able to breastfeed my baby, because there have also been problems locally with people stockpiling baby formula, which must be incredibly distressing for mums.  But while situations like this bring out the worst in some people, they bring out the best in others, and there's certainly a lot of community spirit.

Tomorrow is my first mother's day as a mother myself, and unfortunately the planned celebration afternoon tea with my own mother won't go ahead.  Disappointing, but I'm trying to remain positive about it all.  I think it helps that I'm trying to limit my consumption of the news and social media, and increase my contact (by phone/online) with friends and family for a bit of solidarity and humour!  This is an opportunity to pause, reflect, and put it all in perspective, while I take a back seat and let all of those amazing key workers do their jobs and get us through this situation as best they can.

How are you all doing?

12 comments:

  1. Your lovely photos are a tonic amidst all this doom and gloom.
    I'm so sorry that your first Mothering Sunday is spoilt and all those lovely plans can't come to fruition, if someone had told me that we'd all be living like we currently are this time last year I'd have thought they were mad!
    It's great that you're able to stick to a 14 day lock down, definitely worth it so you can spend time with your parents.
    I've seen a lot of distressed mothers resorting to posting pleas on Facebook for nappies and formula, it's utterly heartbreaking.
    Stay safe and healthy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well things have changed again since I wrote that post! Hope you and Jon are staying safe (and sane!) around the house x

      Delete
  2. Things have certainly changed almost beyond recognition, and I am sorry that your maternity leave plans are thwarted by this horrible virus. I do applaud you for not letting it get you down and self-isolating for 14 days so that your parents can see Otis. As for the shortage of nappies and formula: it's mind-boggling how selfish some people can be! I too have limited by news consumption, and on Facebook I have snoozed all people who insist on spreading panic by posting scary and often fake news stories. I do insist on accentuating the positive as much as I can, even if inside I am scared as hell! Do keep safe and sane, and enjoy your time together with your family! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely we have to accentuate the positive now, and your colourful wardrobe is always a little bit of joy in my Insta feed! X

      Delete
  3. I'm also in a14 day lock down but I guess it will be 21 days. I a week has gone by and I'm already bored with it. I want to meet up with friends and family! But it is what it is. Such a pity about your first mother's day. But there will be plenty! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a highly social person, and even I'm finding it had not seeing friends and family! BUT can you imagine never seeing them again? Stay safe too x

      Delete
  4. It is good to see you're all able to get out for a bit of safe exercise. I feel sorry for people who panic buy, they must be very frightened, but it's terrible if they're doing it with baby formula because not all mums *can* breastfeed.

    I hope your family, grandparents included, all stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to see you're all able to get out for a bit of safe exercise. I feel sorry for people who panic buy, they must be very frightened, but it's terrible if they're doing it with baby formula because not all mums *can* breastfeed.

    I hope your family, grandparents included, all stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim! We have to find those silver linings and hold on to them. I've been enjoying your #isolationchic posts! X

      Delete
  6. Sending you all positive vibes! Stay safe! And Happy Mother's Day!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janey, I hope you and Patrick are doing okay too x

      Delete
  7. Beautiful shots Porcelina : )
    It's incredible how all of our lives have changed in a few weeks.
    Isolation, staying home is the best option right now. We have been home for a week now, can go out 2 hours a day to get groceries or medicines.
    This will pass. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...