Saturday 13 February 2021

Is Winter Nearly Over Yet?

Hello there from my little corner of the world. I hope this finds you well. Myself and my little family are all doing okay. Living quietly; which is what I need after last year. There really isn't much to report. We don't go anywhere or do anything. I roam the hillsides. I watch the birds in our garden. I am back at work, so my priorities have shifted. The precious little time I have that isn't working (from home), or caring for my one year old, is generally spent being restful or doing restorative things like yoga. 8pm is an acceptable bedtime.

When the first of the snows came, our valley was at its most beautiful. I like how quiet it is after the snowfall. Less traffic, and even footsteps are muffled. We took the little one out into the snow for the first time. He seemed a bit confused at first, and then decided the snow must be a bit like the bath water and tried to do a front crawl through it!

Above: The valley at dawn, viewed from our house

Above: The trees in our front garden

It hasn't warmed up for long at all. The odd day, and then it's back to freezing temperatures again. My tumble dryer is in the garage and won't work when it's this cold, so the laundry is mounting up. It is also getting increasingly difficult to entertain an inquisitive, adventurous 14 month old within the same four walls, day after day. It seems like the right time to let him run riot in a soft play centre, but of course nothing's open at the moment. He hasn't met any other children, so I do wonder how he will cope when we are eventually allowed to rejoin society! We do try and make sure he gets out of the house at least once a day. It has been icy weather even for a walk, but sometimes you just need to get out of the house.

Above: icicles outside my kitchen window

Above: Dressed in a vintage sheepskin hat and vintage coat, with as many layers underneath as I could fit - tights, leggings, thermal top, two jumpers... I am not exaggerating the cold, all of the mountain streams had frozen and the wind chill was Baltic.

Above: weird ice formations where the stream joined the lake


It's snowing again as I type this. The little one is napping, and I am trying to summon the energy to do something constructive like a quick yoga session or some housework. Somehow I will probably end up staring out of the window and drinking yet another cuppa.

Stay cosy!

10 comments:

  1. So lovely to see you post again! Drinking another cuppa is a perfect idea- I've got one with me right now too :)
    www.theartyologist.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely to see you and see your beautiful little corner of the world! I can understand entertaining a 14-month old (can't believe baby O. is 14 months already) is quite a challenge, and it's a bit heartbreaking that he hasn't met any other children yet. I hope things change in that direction very soon! Must have been exciting seeing his first snow, even if he was trying to do a front crawl through it :-) Stay safe and cosy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow is beautiful.
    Just anecdotally, My son lived the first nine years of life isolated on a farm with only rare visits to town and other children. Once we moved to the city and he was no longer homeschooled he adjusted fine and made friends easily. I understand that parents are concerned about their children being put at a disadvantage from being alone so much, but unless you're locking him in a cupboard all day, he'll likely be fine.
    I hope you don't feel like I've overstepped.
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate you sharing your experience, that's very reassuring! I know that children are far more resilient than we think, probably more resilient than we are, so I am not overly worried, but I think being a parent means some level of worry about everything!!

      Delete
  4. It's so lovely to see you pop up again! Hasn't it been cold? I normally love my daily walks around the block but haven't gone anywhere since the temperatures plummeted.
    Your snowy scenes are gorgeous and so are you and the young man! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to read from you again and you beautiful area. Lets hope we soon can go back to,, normal,, life if it ever can become normal. We had snow here the post week, so much we haven't seen in decades. And then next weekend it wil be 15 degrees! A 25 degrees difference. Weird world. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to read from you again and you beautiful area. Lets hope we soon can go back to,, normal,, life if it ever can become normal. We had snow here the post week, so much we haven't seen in decades. And then next weekend it wil be 15 degrees! A 25 degrees difference. Weird world. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely to see a post from you again. I'm glad to hear you are all keeping safe and well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your valley does look beautiful and cold. I'm sure Otis will be able to get out and play with other children before too long!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...