Wednesday 27 October 2010

A Spot of Shopping



This last week I have discovered a new local place to shop for vintage - an antiques centre in Cowbridge. They had a few items that made me sigh, including a pair of shell-shaped Art-Deco wall lights in chrome and glass (£98) and a lovely pair of champagne glasses in an unusual shape that I'd seen an example of only a few days earlier in the 1949 film 'A Letter to Three Wives' (not a brilliant film, the odd fashion-moment to enjoy). There was also a stall with the most impressive range of teacups I've ever seen! I left empty-handed however, as I've made quite enough trigger-happy internet purchases recently.

I've finally obtained a pair of Heyday trousers in grey, but have to lengthen them before I can wear them which is frustrating. Other than that, they're fabulous and I'm already making a list of what other colours I want them in! I've also bought some vintage inspired underwear, the book 'Style Me Vintage' by Belinda Hay, a vintage M&S petticoat and a rather glamorous looking hairbrush.
The hairbrush was a necessity - all of the vintage styling books and videos recommend you use a natural bristle brush to brush out your curls, and I'm completely converted. The shine you get from using one beats any styling products. I didn't have the budget for a coveted Mason Pearson brush, so I headed to TK Maxx and picked up a huge Italian natural bristle brush that looks exactly like a Mason Pearson, for just £12. Bargain. I'll be sure to post some pictures at a later date - I'll be tackling each of the styles in Belinda's book.

Next on my shopping list is some '30s and '40s blouses to wear with both the trousers and my Tara Starlet high-waisted skirt. I also need to stock up on some winter-weight stockings - I always order mine from Stockings HQ.

On a more depressing note, the lovely dress I won from Shristi Studio has not arrived, we suspect it's stuck at customs! And there's nothing we can do about it!

2 comments:

  1. ooh, lovely antique goodies and sounds like you've snagged yourself some fabulous purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow amazing what amazing crockery!
    I've just bought 'Style Me Vintage' too, and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival from amazon (an early Xmas present to me!) I look forward to seeing your hair creations!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...