Wednesday 27 October 2010

Poirot Fashion Special: Episode 1, "The Adventure of the Clapham Cook"

Ta-da! My first fashion special on the David Suchet Poirot series!

We kick off with the very first episode, "The Adventure of the Clapham Cook", where the standout fashion is not from the ladies, but from Poirot himself who looks exceedingly dapper from start to finish!




However, I know very little about men's vintage fashion and so I won't dwell on that aspect. The episode doesn't have any of the high-class characters that feature so predominantly later in the series, and so we get a sense of practical, well-worn and respectable middle and working class dress. This does mean that it's not the most exciting and dramatic episode for fashion.



In fact, Miss Lemon is the best-dressed! Now, she's always well turned-out, but in quite a lot of Poirot you don't tend to notice her against the glamour of the starlets and disgustingly rich old ladies with their fabulous hats and gowns and furs. In these screenshots, Miss Lemon's wardrobe is impeccable and highly wearable.




Are you inspired by any fashion in this episode? Top of my wish-list would be the chocolate and cream dress, but I know that's just a fantasy and I'd never find one in my budget and size! The cardigan and blouse/day dress combo is a simple one to pull together though, and for cardigans with big bows on you don't need to go any further than the high street at the moment, it's teeming with them! British girls try New Look or H&M, Americans try Forever 21 perhaps.

I confess, I haven't read the original Agatha Christie story, so this post is purely fashion based and not a commentary on the adaptation, though I will try and do this with future posts wherever possible!


I hope you've enjoyed this post!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I Love that your doing this, the clothes are all so amazing in this series!
    My favorite is Mrs lemons red cardy with the big bow on it, I would love to find something like this in the high street. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...