Thursday 24 March 2011

London Trip: Yohji Yamamoto Exhibition


My trip to London this weekend wasn't filled with the adventures I'd hoped. I'm not much of a drinker these days, and after being plied with a substantial quantity of pink fizz, vodka jellies and even a Jaeger bomb (my first ever!), I have to confess that Sunday was a complete hangover day and we didn't make it out of Brixton. The only time we left the house was to go to the local round the corner for a big Sunday dinner. Being a Welsh contingent we then lazed the afternoon away and watched Twin Town followed by series one of Gavin & Stacey, eating a constant supply of chocolates, Indian snacks, and a take-away. I also read about ten fashion magazines. It was the first day I can remember in a long, long time that I was that lazy. It was bliss!

The next day I planned on plenty of adventures to make up for this, but alas I picked up a stomach bug plus had an allergic reaction to an eye-cream (red panda eyes!!) and really didn't have the energy for much. Instead, I went to the V&A to look at the Yohji Yamamoto fashion exhibition. (Click on the banner below for more details.)



I wasn't that familiar with Yamamoto's designs, and being contemporary it didn't tick the vintage interest box, but I have to say that now that I've started learning to sew it was incredibly interesting seeing the collection from the point of view of 'how do you construct that?'. Some really odd choices of fastenings to wonder over, such as a beautiful evening dress fastening up the back with giant poppers. I had to have a sit down afterwards (that's my feet in the pic above of the V&A courtyard!).

I had a quick strut up Oxford Street later, but you can tell I wasn't feeling 100% as I really wasn't in the shopping mood!
How awful that I didn't even get to a single vintage shop, or have any afternoon tea. I'll just have to plan another trip soon...

1 comment:

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...