Tuesday 17 May 2011

Make-up Review: Besame's 1930's Mascara



The allure of Besame's gold and red packaging was too much, and I finally gave in and purchased a mascara, as a treat to me on my birthday. Here's what I think of it.



Mascara Formula - 5/5 (for everyday), 3/5 (for evening)
If only every mascara unleashed such a wonderful scent, that for a moment transported you to a different time and place, where Madam's car was waiting and one just had to put on one's hat and gloves. It's the essential oils (Is it sandalwood? I can't quite place it) that give the formula such a wonderful fragrance. The formula itself is just perfect for daytime - it gives a soft, natural look, going on cleanly and with more of a matte finish that most of the other mascaras in my make-up box. Not enough pow for evening.




Brush - 5/5
The brush is perfect for my lashes. It separates them and lovingly coats each one with just the right amount of the mascara.



Price - 2/5
Herein lies the problem. An everyday masacara costing £20 is very extravagant! I bought mine as a birthday treat to myself, but could never justify buying this mascara again, when it will only last me a couple of months with everyday use.

Overall Rating:
5/5 for daytime & rich me
3/5 for evening & poor me


Mascaras in general are tricky, aren't they? I have fine, sparse lashes and find a lot of mascaras try and do too much to them, clumping them together or coating them in a formula that's ridiculously sticky. Here are the mascaras I've tried recently:

Hate:
Clinique High Lengths - weird, bendy little 'brush' that actually has no bristles, just bumps, which was never going to work on my lashes. Makes my eyelashes look like the legs of spiders, crushed underfoot.

Rimmel Glam Eyes Lash Flirt - another bad brush, coupled with a formula that feels quite heavy, unlike the 'feather soft' one promised. I tried using the brush from a No.7 mascara to see if that made a difference, and it did improve things, but I'm still not happy with it.

Love:
Boots No.7 Extreme Lengths - has a brush that really works with my lashes, gives good coverage without getting into clumpy territory. Reasonably priced if you take advantage of Boots 3 for 2 or free gift offers.

Collection 2000 Vinyl Lash - cheap, incredibly cheap, and gives glossy, blacker than black lashes for a strong evening look. I think they've stopped making it, but it's available through cosmetic outlet sites such as Direct Cosmetics.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the review. I was just thinking about buying a tube for myself yesterday but I'm glad that I didn't! I like a much fuller brush and I want something that really stands out. Have you tried Maybelline Full n' Soft? That's my very very favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your honest review :) I love DiorShow Lash mascara, I bought one at the duty free in August last year and it is only just about to peg it, and that is about the same price. Will put a link to this on my fb page xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good tips here, I might have to hunt down the Collection 2000 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I will have to give Collection 2000 a try, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lancome make the best mascara, I love all of them. Such a shame that the price didn't match the effect x

    ReplyDelete
  6. God I have tried so many mascaras out all hopeful just to be disappointed. My favourite is Bourjois Coup de Theatre

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review! I'm not tempted to buy it just for the price, but it's lovely to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the review! I was so tempted to order it, but perhaps I'll move it to the "birthday treat" pile for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...