Tuesday 30 October 2012

Cardiff Fashion Week: St David's Catwalk Show

I had such a lovely evening on Saturday, attending an event at St David's shopping centre as part of Cardiff Fashion Week.

I got to meet some other Welsh bloggers, including the lovely Gem of Fat Frocks face to face for the first time, and also Amy from Bonjour Cupcake.  I find networking a bit hard, as I'm shy in large groups of people, but I'm really glad to have met some fellow bloggers and hope we'll meet again in the not too distant future!

Here is a little pictorial summary of the fashion show...







What really pleased me was that as this isn't 'high' fashion - it was about showcasing clothes available in the St David's stores - there was no need to use standard models.  So they used dancers!  The show was really enjoyable, with a lot of energy, and because the models looked healthy and athletic, I found I paid more attention to the clothes themselves rather than getting completely distracted by the bodies underneath.

As the PR at St David's explained to me, showing clothes on 'standard' models (i.e. very tall and very slim) would not help 'sell' the clothes to the normal woman on the street.  As part of this wise approach, St David's hosted a competition for two ordinary women sized 14 and over on the street to become models for the day.  It's a step in the right direction - I would like to see more of this kind of thing targeting even more demographics e.g. women over 40, petite women, women with disabilities and the 'average' women who get left out of this kind of thing by being average height and a size 10 or 12 - too big to be a model, but too small to enter the 'plus size' contests.

Above: Winners of the Size 14 and over model search.  Photo by St David's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...