Wednesday 7 November 2012

The Vintage Movie Club in Cardiff

A very pleasant evening was spent on Friday evening at a new Vintage Movie Night at Hubbard's Cupboard, a shop in the High Street Arcade selling vintage clothing, vintage repro made to order (including wedding dresses) and handmade gifts.  In the run up to Christmas they are showing old films every other week on a Friday evening, in the intimate surroundings of the shop.  The clothes rails are pushed against the wall, seats brought out (with cushions, very important) and popcorn is served alongside bubbly.  What a great idea!

I attended with my friend Violet, and we had a ball watching 'How to Marry a Millionaire', which Violet had never seen and I had only seen the start and the end.  It makes so much more sense now I've seen the middle!!

Violet confessed this vintage dress she bought at a vintage fair we went to years ago was having it's first outing!!  I love it and hope she wears it more often now.


I borrowed a boot to prop my cone of popcorn in - ta da! 


There were a few teething problems that I feel obliged to mention to review it honestly - a low volume issue being the main one, but they have promised to purchase a new DVD player for next time.  The image was also projected a little high on the wall, and was slightly stretched (only evident whilst looking at the leading ladies' feet, Lauren Bacall looked like she had flippers at one point!).  Finally, we were promised champagne, but served Cava.

None of these issues stopped us having a fun evening, and we are aiming to get to one of the Christmas film showings.  Here are the rest of the listings:
16th November - Charade
30th November - Jailhouse Rock
14th December - White Christmas
21st December - Miracle on 34th Street

Tickets are £12 each and are available online here.  The shop itself is well worth a browse even if you can't make the film nights, here are some photos for you to peruse..







5 comments:

  1. That shop looks wonderful as do you both! What a lovely way to spend an evening surrounded by vintage and watching a good film! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Your blog looks very interesting. I am now following your blog. Thank you for following me.
    :) Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not have time to read this post on my last visit to your blog. This all looks like such fun! I love the old clothing. That's a shop I would enjoy browsing.

    How to Marry a Million are is one of my favorites!

    :) Hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. great store and you both look gorgeous .... ha, love the popcorn-shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all so cool! How have I not stumbled across this shop in the high street arcade, clearly I haven't been down there often enough recently!!

    If you get any time spare, please come and visit my blog :)

    www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    Helen

    x

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...