Wednesday 13 March 2013

Lizi's Granola Review

I did a post on the weekend about how to have a vintage breakfast, but I wanted to post today about having a healthy breakfast as it can be a tricky thing to get right.  I love all kinds of breakfast foods - toast, cereals, a full English, yoghurts and fruits, European meat and cheese selections, American bagels, bacon sandwiches, eggs of the coddled or scrambled varieties etc.  It's my favourite meal of the day and sometimes I have two breakfasts, if I have a particularly long day and need the extra energy.  Because it's the most important meal of the day, and my favourite, I always try and make a healthy choice to start the day - filling, and nutritionally balanced.

I therefore jumped at the chance to review Lizi's organic granola, especially when I found out that founder Lizi and her husband Mick have been organically farming in my homeland of Wales.  The one thing I tend to avoid is sugary cereals, and for that reason I have never really bought granola in the past.  The high sugar content makes it very moreish, and before you know it you've eaten a triple portion, have a massive sugar rush followed twenty minutes later by a crash.  This is where Lizi's granola is different - here comes the science bit:
"it has a low glycemic index which means that the natural sugars present in Lizi's are released slowly ensuring that your blood sugar levels do not increase too rapidly.  This means it keeps you going and feeling fuller for longer."



I received a 500g foil packet of their organic granola, and it looked so appetising I had to try it straight away.  They claim that just 50g will be enough to be a proper breakfast.  My usual breakfast is a big bowl (75g approx) of muesli, that keeps me going the three and a half hours until lunch.  I was dubious therefore that just 50g of Lizi's Granola could fulfill the same task.

Packaging - 5/5
Resealable bags are amazing.  Keeps stuff so much better and takes up less space than the traditional boxes.

Taste - 4/5
Not too sweet, really nice nutty flavour.  Missed the fruity bits you get with muesli, but suppose you could add berries if you liked.

Texture - 3/5
Quite dry, you definitely need a cup of tea for when bits get stuck in your throat!  Not a cereal to bolt down, you need to take your time and chew properly.

Filling up ability - 3/5
Alas, I am a girl with a hearty appetite and while 100g of Lizi's Granola did keep me going until lunch, the promised 50g resulted in a rumbling tummy just two hours after breakfast. 

Price - 3/5
At £4.99 for a 500g pack, I honestly couldn't afford to buy it regularly.  It will join Dorset Cereals on the wish-list of breakfast foods, if money was no object!

Overall - 3/5
I did really like the product but I think I wanted to like it more than I actually liked it because of the Welsh connection and it promising so much.  I think maybe one of the other flavours, Pink Apple and Cinnamon perhaps, would give me the fruity bits I craved.

If you are tempted to try Lizi's then visit the web shop here, where you can buy the aforementioned Organic one as well as a range of fruity and even chocolately flavours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...