Friday 23 August 2013

Kitchen: Spiced Chickpea and Potato Fry Up

I made this recipe from Good Food for tea the other night.  So, so good!  I'm on a mission to use up everything from my fridge, freezer and cupboards presently and hence stop wasting money on food.  I had to buy the coriander and an onion for this (only used one not two), and I substituted purple flowering broccoli (heads only) for the spinach, and Garam Masala instead of mild chilli powder.  I 'tweak' a lot of recipes these days to suit what I have in the fridge and cupboards.

Ingredients

  • 300g potatoes, cut into small pieces
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp each ground coriander, turmeric and mild chilli powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin seeds
  • 410g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tbsp tomato purée
  • 200g baby spinach
  • small bunch coriander, leaves chopped
  • wholemeal chapatis, low-fat natural yogurt and mango chutney, to serve

Method

  1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until just tender. While they are cooking, soften the onions and garlic in the oil in a frying pan for a few mins. Add all the spices, then fry for 1 min more. Stir in the chickpeas and tomato purée with 400ml water, then turn the heat up and bubble for a few mins.
  2. When the potatoes are ready, drain and add to the pan. Cook for a few mins until the sauce is thick, stir in the spinach, then season. When the spinach has wilted, scatter with coriander and serve with the chapatis, yogurt and chutney on the side.

Very quick and easy, and it made three greedy girl's portions (the other two are in the freezer now).  I served it with a mini-naan bread, natural yoghurt, and a dollop of mango chutney.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word, does that sound lip-lickingly delicious! I absolutely love hearty, fragrant dishes like this for the freezing, lengthy Canadian winter. Thank you very much for sharing, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks delicious! I love this idea of ​​using the products that we have at home, do not waste money and not throw food away, It's perfect! With your permission, I copy this recipe to try it ... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on with making it yourself!

      P x

      Delete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...