Sunday 29 November 2015

First Snowfall

Last weekend we had our first snow, merely a light scattering on the mountains.  I wanted to take some photos of the snowy landscape, which had already begun to thaw a little in the bright winter sun.  I planned to tie in an outfit shoot as well, having just purchased a lovely wool Italian cape from the community shop.  Despite the sunshine, temperatures were very low, so I layered up all in black underneath with a wool poloneck and skinny jeans tucked into knee high boots.

"You look like a Beatnik cat burglar," was my husband's response, "I don't think it works".  Five minutes later, he was rummaging in my wardrobe, determined to find me a "more festive" outfit.  (I can't say I was particularly optimistic, given that my husband is colour blind...)  I gently suggested that since the cape is so voluminous, maybe something more fitted underneath would look best, and he reluctantly returned the swing dress from his hands to the rails.  The next few minutes involved him asking me a series of questions about various items that he thought I should have in red.  Red tights?  No.  Red leggings?  No.  Really, no red leggings?!  No!  Red brogues?  No.  Red brooch?  No.  In the end I appeased him by finding a pair of tights with red seams, but he still seemed quite miffed that my entire legs weren't going to be bright red.  I wasn't allowed gloves, despite it being only a little above freezing.
"No pain, no gain!" he declared.
"You've dressed me like Mrs Christmas!" I complained.

The smile told me that's what he was going for.

DSCF9600



DSCF9612 - Copy

DSCF9604 - Copy

DSCF9686

DSCF9654

DSCF9649

DSCF9681

DSCF9664

DSCF9661
Cape: Community shop
Dress: Asos, via car boot sale
Seamed tights: Can't remember
Shoes: Hobbs
Bracelet: Gift

For more husbands-dressing-bloggers, I recommend Amber's very amusing post about allowing her husband to choose her outfit.  It's curious that her husband also seemed at a loss to understand why she didn't have every accessory in a certain colour (green, in her case), so I think if there's a message from both our experiments, it's that partners really can't object to buying yet another pair of gloves or shoes if they're in a colour not already possessed!

Does your partner or family have any say in what you wear?

Linking up with: Street Style SundayShare in StyleFunday Monday,  Visible MondayStyle SessionsReasons to Dress,#IwillwearwhatIlikeWhat I Wore WednesdayThursday Fashion Files#WIWT, Passion for FashionFriday's Fab FavouritesThe Style Files

21 comments:

  1. If your Mrs Clause, Santa's a lucky guy!!! Such a cute look. I really love the cape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brr! You are very brave going out in such a short skirt when there's snow on the ground, even if it's just a dusting.

    Pete has no say in what I wear, though I do steer clear of stuff I know he's really not into (so you'll almost never see me in purple). After all, I quite like my husband to fancy me! I do find it funny when I'm rummaging at a vintage event and he's looking disapproving and muttering, "That's very Abigail's Party".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bloomin' cold Mim!!! I think I'm the same, I generally wear what I want, but avoid things I know my husband particularly hates, like animal print. x

      Delete
  3. I love that he got so involved! The areas you have at your disposal are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky, it's truly gorgeous where we live. x

      Delete
  4. Haha, love this - and it definitely provides further proof that men don't have a leg to stand on when they object to us buying stuff! The photos turned out stunning, though - I think you look more like a fairytale princess than Mrs Claus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! A very cold princess, I'm surprised my skin isn't blue in these pics... x

      Delete
  5. This is so funny! I would have loved to see your beatnik cat burglar outfit, but you're rocking the Mrs. Claus look pretty hard. I've seen a few of these "letting my dude dress me" challenges, they're always good for a laugh, and some insight into what guys think women should wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, the beatnik cat burglar is sure to appear on the blog another time soon! Xx

      Delete
  6. Hehe I like it, Mrs Christmas! I do think he was right that you could only wear red with a cape like that... Especially at this time of year! But no woman in their right mind would wear tights like this with snow on the ground ;) I really wonder what B would come up with - I've showed him this post and Amber's and I think he's game for his own styling challenge... Which should probably worry me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such chic, beautiful photos. I love the white and red palette you're rocking here. It says both "alluring" and "Christmas" at the same time (not that two are always mutually exclusive, of course) - your hubby nailed that aesthetic for sure. It's wonderful that you were able to get out and shoot with the first snow. Funnily enough, we missed Penticton's, as it happened last week and were already in Vancouver. Talk about Murphy's Law, eh?! :D

    Big hugs & happy wishes for the new week,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fairytale look - it looks magical,even if a bit chilly, in the landscape! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are Lady Christmas indeed! And those hose are IT, love them. Thanks for linking, xo

    http://notdeadyetstyle.com/visible-monday-167-klsdjkfjslkf

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we now know how your husband likes his Christmas stocking - with a red seam! Love the outfit and the gorgeous (if chilly!) setting. My partner has NO say in anything I wear - it's for me to decide and him to admire, that's all there is to it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cape is so lovely! You would make for a very glamorous Mrs Claus :) The setting is beautiful, especially those trees!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fabulous photos, you should print them off and send them as Xmas cards. The setting is gorgeous.
    No man has ever had a say in what I wear, several have tried (and been ceremoniously dumped) for daring to suggest anything of the sort! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, I loved that post that Amber did! I'm so impressed that your guy managed to pull off those reds so well! They are so coordinated! I don't think my man would be up for styling me, but I'm so thinking I should give it a try... :D ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh! I love it! Such a cute story and I love the outfit he dressed you in! If you had some red gloves I think those would have gone perfect as well! Those red back seamed stockings are brilliant! Such lovely photos as well! It looks like it was a really beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun that he got involved with styling you, I love the whole look and these dreamy photos! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you might have more snow over there than we have in Finland :D At least where I live, it's way too warm for December and always raining when it should be cold and snowing.

    Your cape is so pretty and the scenery is so pretty. I wish we had more places like that over here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...