Sunday 3 January 2016

Festive Trousers

These red trousers are my third pair of the House of Foxy's 1940s swing trousers.  I'm unapologetic about buying something in several different colours if you really love it - it's rare that something fits well, is within budget, and washes and wears well.  I love red, but for some reason the trousers languished unworn in my wardrobe for a few months, as they didn't seem appropriate for Autumn somehow.  When the Christmas holidays arrived I knew it was time to dig them out and enjoy their festiveness.  I've worn them many times over the past few weeks in styles of various eras, but I thought I'd show a simple outfit today where the trousers are the main star.  It was another very wet and dark day, so please excuse the indoor lighting and general clutter, it just hasn't stopped raining enough to venture outdoors and do some proper shoots!

Red Trousers

Red Trousers

Red Trousers

Red Trousers

Red Trousers

Red Trousers

Red Trousers
1940s swing trousers: House of Foxy
Top: Autograph for Marks & Spencer (via charity shop)
Shoes: Clarks
Hairband: Seamstress of Bloomsbury
Brooch: Vintage, charity shop

The pretty brooch is also a new purchase, a Christmas present to myself, bought in a local charity shop a few days before Christmas.  My brooch collection is seriously depleted since my wedding, where I chose a vintage brooch for each female guest as a gift.  That meant giving up some brooches from my personal collection, because I knew they would suit someone else particularly well.  Fortunately, brooches seem to be as cheap as chips and in plentiful supply in my area, so I shouldn't have any problems amassing another 40 or so over 2016!

I don't think the shoes pictured actually work that well with the trousers - I confess that for a day around the house, which this was, I tend to be in my slippers, and I just grabbed the nearest pair of shoes for the photos.  It was all quite impromptu.

For summer I think I'll reinvent the red trousers as 'nautical' rather than festive, and wear them with navy and white stripes on top and a pair of white wedges.

Have you lived in a particular item of clothing over the holidays?

Linking up with: Share in StyleVisible MondayReasons to Dress,#IwillwearwhatIlikePassion for FashionHat Attack

20 comments:

  1. This is such a classic outfit and I really love those trousers! The headband is the perfect finishing touch too. Wishing you a Happy New Year Porcelina! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! These are the kind of trousers that look great on others, but my short wide theighs means they never look good on me personally. Suit you down to a tea though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a perfect trouser out there for everybody Kariss, but sometimes it takes bloomin' ages to find a style that suits doesn't it? xx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely pair of trousers, I can already see them in many nautical variations! Your brooch is cute too, and what a lovely idea to give a brooch to your wedding guests, so original! Have a wonderful first week of 2016 sweet Porcelina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the brooch idea too! I have to say I never notice that many cheap ones round these parts but always come across them on eBay. I may just steal that idea one day :D I wish I could wear trousers like this without them looking like they're wearing me, but alas I can't so I shall just have to admire you in them instead :) Hope your 2016 is off to a great start; I am on the train to work and feeling like the world had ended!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even get to work today - train strikes - so I'm working from home. Quite glad really, it's easing me back in a little more gently, though I have a mountain to get stuck into! Hope your day isn't too painful xx

      Delete
  5. So helpful this morning to hear that others are dreading the return to work, too! On the bright side, I lived in jeans and athletic wear over the hols, so at least going back to work gives me an excuse to pull out the pretties. Seriously cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am crazy for those red trousers! You look wonderful and thanks for linking, xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, super outfit! You're right, if you like something and wear it a lot, why not get it in several colours? I've done that with things I like in the past. No-one really seems to notice.

    Pete got me a House of Foxy 'Hostess' dress in navy, and I wore that loads over the hols. So impressed with the fit and quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you lucky lady Mim, I've had my eye on the hostess dress, it just seems like the kind of dress you could wear anywhere - the orange print one is in the sale, but I'll hold off until my current order arrives, and then if I end up returning anything I can consider an exchange.

      I really love the plain black top too, it was just from a charity shop but it's one of those elusive 'Made in Britain' ones from M&S and the quality is just fab. If they still make that style I'll have it in ten other colours please!

      x

      Delete
  8. What a timelessly perfect pair of pants. Swoon! I've always had a thing for red trousers and jeans. I've thought it over and determined a while back that I think it harkens to a pair of beloved oxblood hued pants I had in grade school. Whatever the case, I'd love to follow your lead and add a classic 40s style ruby hued pair like to closet one of these days, too.

    Big hugs & happy first week of January wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those fancy pants! You look very holiday appropriate and chic, and if something fits into your wardrobe and life so perfectly, why not get it in multiple colors? I could stand to do that sometimes, actually, instead of always looking for something different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a huge fan of the if it fits and is in budget then buy multiple colours mentality. I've done it a few times with shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea as gifts for your guests. It makes me think it would be a lovely idea for a tea party too.

    I adore the bold red and black and the little detail of the pin, hair scarf and buttons on the trousers make it special. You are quite stylish in case the UPS guy shows up : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regrettably no packages were delivered that day!! Yes the brooch thing would be great for tea parties too xx

      Delete
  12. Finding trousers that fit really well and look great is a reason to celebrate - so buying 3 pairs in different colours seems entirely logical to me. I think I associate red trousers with my childhood. However, these are a very elegant, grown-up look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic casual outfit! I swear, if I ever found trousers that looked that great on me, I'd buy as many as I could. Can't wait to see your nautical ensemble, these slacks are just crying out for a Breton stripe top!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this outfit. I think those shoes look great with this look. They go incredibly well with that black velvet top. Also those trousers look great on you! When they fit that well and it's a style you wear often you've got to get more than one piece in them!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...