Monday 30 September 2013

Retro Mums

I spotted this in a back issue of the Sunday Times 'Style' magazine.  What would you think if you saw a vintage-styled lady pushing a vintage pram?  Is it really "a step too far"?

Personally, I think this is a bit judgemental!  So what if someone wants to complete their vintage look by having the vintage pram too?  Equally, if a parent wants to style themselves in a vintage way but wants to have the ease of a modern pram then who are we to judge them for not going the whole hog with the vintage look?  If any of you have tried pushing a vintage pram, you'll know that they are incredibly heavy and difficult to manouvre, I'm not sure I would be that dedicated to vintage that I could cope with that - I'm sure being a parent is difficult enough. 

And where does it stop?  Are we going to start criticising people who dress in a vintage style and choose to drive a vintage car or live in a house from a specific era?  Is that a "step too far" as well?


2 comments:

  1. Just stop it mainstream media, seriously. Stop trying to paint vintage loving folks as oddball eccentrics who are out of touch with the times or completely batty. I would push a vintage stroller in a heartbeat if I had a wee one of my own, just as I'd dress my youngster in vintage (or repro) during their first few years (or, of course, longer if they wanted to follow in mom's footsteps), and I wouldn't give the tiniest of cares in the world what anyone thought of me. Enough with the judging (media) - why not celebrate us vintage lovers as the creative, fashionable, and highly fascinating folks that we are for a change?

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the heck!? I agree, that is WAY too judgmental! And I personally have always planned on having a vintage pram if we were to have children. I find modern strollers to just be hideous. They are just hunks of plastic with no style or flair.

    Regarding if there is a step too far, I think there is, but it has nothing to really do with style (prams, cars, houses or otherwise), but more of how you place yourself with regards to reality. When I watched Time Warp Wives, I was really shocked at how much the couples in that show had truly distanced themselves from contemporary times. I personally see that as unhealthy. Sure, it's fine not to keep up with celebrity gossip, but I think it's important to know what is happening politics wise. You may want to live a certain way, but still, the outside world will play a part in how you live your life, due to politics and laws.

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...