Sunday 20 December 2015

Dressing Up and Dressing Down for Christmas

Have you trimmed up?  I'm not impertinently referring to your personal weight or fitness, I'm merely asking in the colloquial manner of my local area if you have decorated your Christmas tree yet?  In my family we range from those who put their decorations up at the end of November (my sisters) to those who only put their tree up on Christmas Eve (my Mum!).  We're somewhere in between in our household, though in recent years decorating has fallen later and later thanks to busy workloads and DIY.  Putting a tree up is a bit of a ritual, and I like to have Nat King Cole on the record player, mulled wine simmering on the stove, and to dress for the occasion.  This year I dressed down more than usual, wearing practical trousers for all of the hefting boxes and sitting on the floor that the task entails.  They're pretty fabulous trousers though, being my third pair of the House of Foxy's swing trousers, an absolute wardrobe staple for me, and this time in a cheery and festive red.  Paired with a pretty but cosy cardigan that I won in a contest from Voodoo Vixen, and my trusty 1950's reissued court shoes from Clarks, I felt very festive but was super comfortable.  The finishing touch was the lovely Poinsettia in my hair, that is actually one of a pair of shoe clips from Alternate Normality.

Christmas


Christmas

Christmas
Cardigan: Voodoo Vixen
Hair flower (shoe clip): Alternate Normality
Trousers: House of Foxy
Shoes: Clarks

We dressed up to the nines then for our Christmas party, which this year was Downton Abbey themed.  It seemed particularly fitting after my trip to Highclere earlier this year.  The dress was bought from a closing-down boutique for a fiver, and the little beaded shrug was a possible wedding accessory bought in the sale in Debenhams and was never worn.  I accessorised further with some cream and gold vintage gloves from my collection, and a really gorgeous rhinestone necklace that belonged to my grandmother in the 1950s.  I already had the plastic tiara (doesn't everyone have one?).  Dressing up turned out to be very amusing as the majority of our guests didn't receive the message about the dress code, and so turned up in their normal attire.  We referred to them as "commoners" for the rest of the evening.  I was of course Lady Porcelina.

Christmas

Christmas
Shrug: Warehouse at Debenhams
Gloves: Vintage
Necklace: Vintage
Dress: closing-down boutique

We have a few more opportunities over the next few weeks for dressing up, which I am most excited about.  Now that I'm off work, I actually have time to stand and stare in front of the wardrobe, and take a bit more time pulling things together.  As for Christmas day, I will no doubt dress-up rather than dress down.  I know a lot of people take great pleasure on the day to lounge in their pyjamas - or a onesie, heaven forbid - but why pass up an opportunity to play dress up?

What about you - are you dressing up or dressing down for Christmas?

Linking up with: Share in StyleVisible MondayReasons to Dress,#IwillwearwhatIlikePassion for Fashion, Hat Attack

21 comments:

  1. Love this outfit and you coordinate with your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of these outfits! You also did an amazing job with your Christmas tree! The red and gold play together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Any reason to dress up is a good on in my book.

    You should have referred to them as the help! and asked them to run and fetch you another glass of champagne! Ha! Or asked them to go and scrub the toilets.

    I love both your outfits. Especially that cardigan!

    I knew I was missing something in my wardrobe, a plastic tiara! ; P

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel the exact same way as you - why would you pass up an opportunity to put on a party frock?! That's the true spirit of Christmas, to me... Love both outfits - and how funny that your guests weren't aware of your theme!! Whoops. I don't have a plastic tiara though, and now feel I have failed some way as a woman... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the tiaras came in a pack of five from Tesco!! Bought for Kate and Will's wedding. Don't feel too bad - remember I don't have a metallic hair flower..
      Xx

      Delete
  5. Two fab outfits there - next time you have a themed party, you should put some spare bits in a box so your guests have no excuse.

    I have no idea what I will be wearing, though the beach pyjamas will probably make an appearance at some point. (We get a week off, so there will be plenty of opportunities for them to come out.) I love them, they're the closest thing to still being in nightwear while being dressed that I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love your beach pyjamas, they're fab. The trousers and cardi felt pretty close to pyjamas too! X

      Delete
  6. Hear, hear!!! Life is too short to not dress up often, if you ask me. Both of these looks are glam, chic and very, very pretty.

    Blissful Christmas wishes, sweet lady!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Christmas tree is so beautiful and I love both outfits.. The cardigan and trousers look so comfortable yet so well put together, I loveee Voodoo Vixen cardigans! I will probably be wearing one of my handmade Christmas themed outfits, I am running out of time to wear them so they are in rotation now. Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love VV cardigans too, I have my eye on some for the sales! Merry Christmas to you too lovely xx

      Delete
  8. Your tree is super gorgeous, and so is that red gown! What a great find, I've yet to add a full length gown to my closet but I'd really like to. What a perfect blend of fun and glamorous the party sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be wearing more full length gowns over the holidays - I went from having none to suddenly owning about five, whoops! X

      Delete
  9. I love your DA look! One of my favorite periods for fancy dresses, and you look fabulous. Merry Christmas to you, xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous outfits, and your tree is so pretty! I always dress up, for the same reason as you: Christmas is one of the few times in the year that I have a legitimate excuse to do it, so no way am I missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not dressing up? What a shame. I agree with Mim, a dressing up box for lazy visitors next year.
    Two smashing outfits. Glad the wedding shrug got a fancy outing in the end.
    Trimmed up! I like it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on getting up your tree this year! In our house I usually try to get on up right after Thanksgiving but this year we just weren't really feeling like decorating for Christmas inside. I love your two outfits. Both are very nice. I especially love your lace shrug. For Christmas we usually go to one or more of our parents house or have them cover over so I usually dress up. I already have my outfits picked out... looks like we will have have 3 different Christmas celebrations this year all on different days and so three different outfits are picked out :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful tree and your outfit is just right for festive tree trimming! Oh and I love the idea of a Downton part and you look picture perfect in your outfit! I must confess this is the first year I haven't made or bought something new for Christmas, but then have plenty of smarter dresses I hardly wear and so they deserve another outing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dressing up for decorating the tree ~ oh yes! Your outfit hits the spot of elegant and comfortable at the same time which is just awesome! It's a shame about your guests though ~ dressing up is super fun, and so is getting everyone else to dress up too... :P Heehee. *✬ ❤ ✬*

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely have to dress for Christmas! Be it the Christmas jumper, new pyjamas or a party frock. Wouldn't be Christmas without the outfit planning. I really love your casual outfit. Chic and elegant. And you look stunning as lady Porcelina. Very regal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so cool you dressed up to decorate. Your tree is gorgeous in those classic red+gold colors. I love both outfits, especially the red maxi and lace cardigan.

    You had a great and fantastic 2015, Porcelina. Here is wishing you a Very Happy New Year 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a true vision in your holiday attire. I agree!! Dressing up is fun and makes every event special. Thank you for sharing your beautiful headwear with Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...