Wednesday 27 January 2016

Afternoon Tea Review: Waterloo Tea Penarth

The British winter can be a little dampening on one's mood, so I think why not allow yourself a little solace?  I know it's trendy for people to have gone tee-total, joined a gym, and forgone most sins whilst in the first few months of the year, but I think that at a time of year that is hardest for many, the treats should continue.  Before Christmas, my husband and I went to Waterloo Tea's Penarth branch for a full afternoon tea.  We don't eat this kind of thing very often these days, so we were quite excited at the prospect of bread and sugar in one sitting.  The afternoon tea was actually a gift from some colleagues as a wedding present, isn't that a lovely gift?

Waterloo Tea Penarth


The tea for two includes a three tier cake-stand of finger sandwiches, scones, and a choice of cake, served with a pot of tea each.  Choosing the tea was the hardest part - the tea menu is the most extensive I have ever come across, being several pages long.  In the end I chose the chai, and my husband went for the Christmas blend.  That might sound a little conservative, but I have tried many of their other teas on different occasions, and wanted something warming, festive, and that would complement the cake.  The brewing and serving of the tea is meticulous, with strict instructions on brewing times and how to best enjoy the brew, and even a little sand-timer is provided to guide you.

Waterloo Tea Penarth

Waterloo Tea Penarth

Waterloo Tea Penarth

Waterloo Tea Penarth

Waterloo Tea Penarth

The teas were delicious, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that the chai was the best I've ever had - the perfect ratio of spice, milk and sweetness.  The Christmas blend was delightful also.  Our cakes and sandwiches soon arrived, and it was an impressive array.  The sandwiches were fairly substantial for an afternoon tea, with especially well chosen fillings.  I enjoyed the brie and relish sandwich, whilst my husband really loved the chicken.  Moving on to the sweet selection, I particularly liked the touch of the fresh berries served alongside the scones, and the chocolate truffles nestling amongst the cakes we had chosen.  I had opted for the cranberry loaf, and my husband chose the chocolate cherry torte.  The torte was divine.  Incredibly rich, but utter heaven.  The cranberry loaf was nice enough, very Christmassy, but a little heavy perhaps for such a slab of a serving.  It was with the sweets that we ran into difficulty, in terms of available stomach-space.  I couldn't manage my chocolate truffle, I left a few bites of my cranberry loaf, and I only attempted half a scone.  The tea might not look as much as others in terms of choice, but in terms of portions, it was more than ample.  I actually left quite a lot on the cake-stand, which is unlike me, greedy girl that I am.

The tea rooms themselves are modern, airy and bright, which doesn't particularly appeal to my old-fashioned sensibilities, but it wasn't uncomfortable.  Similarly, the crockery is modern, and you're seated on Ikea-like furniture, with those horrid spot lights from above which make everyone look haggard.  Staff were knowledgeable and friendly, and overall it was a pleasant atmosphere.  The Penarth branch is fairly spacious compared to the one in Pen-y-Lan in Cardiff, which I recall feeling a little cramped.

Waterloo Tea Penarth

Waterloo Tea Penarth

Waterloo Tea Penarth

If you can't make it to one of Waterloo Tea's three branches in Cardiff and Penarth, you can always treat yourself to ordering some of their loose-leaf tea from their online shop.  They ship internationally, and their teas are some of the best I've had - and I've tried a lot of tea over the years.  I've shopped at Waterloo Tea for many years.  They stock a staggering range of teas, and they are always the perfect gift, or a little treat to oneself as a pick-me-up.  In fact, now that it's January, you could purchase one of their beautiful white teas, such as the White Peach Blossom, and feel really virtuous and smug about your healthy choice.  I'll still be drinking the chai and eating the cake.

Afternoon tea is available at all three of Waterloo Tea's branches in Cardiff and Penarth priced at £30 for two, and booking is essential.

9 comments:

  1. Funnily enough I've been trying to find a decent camomile for a while... For some reason this post made me really hungry, can't think why... Which is a shame as I don't eat til about 11 on work days!! I am excited to see if an afternoon tea is on the agenda for when we visit ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, those cakes! What a lovely gift that was. I find it quite heartening to see a tea firm with its own tea shops; it's like a modern version of Lyons or the Aerated Bread Company tearooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely, although the portion sizes do look massive. I prefer bite size for teas so I get to taste different cakes.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tea posts! It's so fun to see what they do at different tearooms. Such a wonderful wedding gift to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like so much fun! My mouth was seriously watering reading the description of the desserts. It's so funny that you're writing about this now, because Brian and I are actually taking his mom to high tea at a fancy hotel for part of her Christmas gift. I hope we have as good of a time as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just went to tea with some friends last weekend and was so bummed this tea place only served 4 different teas. What a great way to spend an afternoon with the hubs!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Would love for you to stop by & join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent point regarding how we need treats, pick-me-ups and like all the more once winter gets properly underway and the long, dark, icy days are our constant companions. I completely agree and try to find fun ways to keep them from getting too dreary myself as well (thankfully sporting colourful vintage fashions always helps me on that front :)).

    Big hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! What a lovely present :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little sand timer is so cute!!! I love these little touches! I wish I was an adventurous tea orderer, but I'm stuck in my ways with my earl grey I'm afraid! The sandwiches and scones look delicious. It's nice to see a good sized portion, it's not always the case.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...