Sunday 7 February 2016

House of Foxy Betty Swing Dress Review

For top of the range vintage reproduction clothing, it's no secret that I'm a fan of the House of Foxy.  I recently picked up their Betty Swing Dress in the sale, helped along with some Christmas vouchers.  The dress is based on a pattern from the 1959 to 1962 era, or 'Mad Men' era in today's shorthand.  Available in both red and teal, I went for the teal.  I recently wore it to the National Theatre Awards in Cardiff, and before I headed out I had time for a few quick photos, so I can share my review of the dress with you all.  I'm afraid there wasn't time before I caught my train for a glamorous backdrop, so this is more of a review than an 'outfit post'.

House of Foxy Betty dress

The beautiful vintage '50s or '60s stole was picked up in West Wales at the end of last year, and has blue velvet on one side and gold lamé on the other, and tassels on the ends.  Perfection!  The stockings have gold seams, which you can just about make out if you look closely.  They were a new purchase from What Katie Did, bought especially for this occasion.  They really do have a lovely sparkle, but it's fairly subtle unless you're moving and they catch the light.

House of Foxy Betty dress

House of Foxy Betty dress

House of Foxy Betty dress

House of Foxy Betty dress

House of Foxy Betty dress



House of Foxy Betty dress

House of Foxy Betty dress

House of Foxy Betty dress

House of Foxy Betty dress

Dress: House of Foxy
Stole: Vintage, antiques centre in Newcastle Emlyn
Shoes: Bertie
Hair flowers: H&M
Stockings: What Katie Did
Bracelet: Vintage, car boot sale

On to the dress - it really does give a beautiful silhouette, nipping in the waist and the pleats providing a fullness to the skirt.  I like the boat neckline, and the v-neckline to the back.  It felt wonderful to wear, and didn't crumple or crease too much over the evening.  I went without a petticoat, but you could certainly wear one for extra oomph.  The quality is beyond reproach.  No loose threads, sticky zips, unsuitable fabric, weird cut or anything else.

Sizing wise, as a general rule at House of Foxy, if the fabric has stretch then a 12 is perfect for me, but I have to go up to a 14 for non-stretch garments.  The same was true with the Betty dress, with a 12 proving the perfect fit in the stretch benagaline type fabric.  The length is excellent, well below my knees, but if you're shorter than me (5'9") then you may find hemming required.

At full price the dress would have been £95, and I picked it up for £65.  At the sale final reduction it went down to £47, which if you were lucky enough that it was left in your size would have been a steal.  I do struggle a bit to justify buying dresses once we get to the £100 mark, but that's simply me working out cost per wear, and with a party dress that's going to remain fairly high compared to separates that you can wear to work every week.  Their separates in particular are excellent value.  I do have a rule 'never pay full price for anything' so I generally wait for some kind of offer giving 10% or 20% off.  You might be waiting a while though with House of Foxy, as they rarely have offers or discounts, and don't have any 'welcome' discounts for new customers.  This means that their limited editions do sell out - so if you really fall in love with something, don't dally too much!

The House of Foxy tend to reissue dresses in different fabrics, so even if they sell out of this incarnation, keep an eye out for reissues in future that will be very similar.  I'm really pleased with the classic shape of this dress, and am already planning to wear it again in the Spring for a wedding.

What price tag do you start to wince at for dresses?  And do you always wait for discounts before splurging?

Linking up with: Share in StyleVisible MondayReasons to Dress,#IwillwearwhatIlikeThrowback Thursdays, Passion for FashionHat Attack


29 comments:

  1. I'm a bargain hunter just like you - I agree that £100 feels too much to me for party dresses and I can't recall I've ever paid anywhere near that much for one...

    Anyway, you look absolutely Gorgeous, with a capital G! I absolutely love this dress on you and the gold accessories are perfection. You can be my date for an awards ceremony any time!

    Off to London Edge now, speak to you soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well do keep in my mind for your date when you're nominated for some outstanding blogger awards! I'll be there!! Glad I don't sound too stingy thinking £100 is too much for a party dress! xx

      Delete
  2. This is a really beautiful outfit. I love the accents you wore with the dress especially the gold seamed stockings! What a great deal you got on the dress too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having a great deal makes me love things just a little bit more than if I'd paid full price...!!

      Delete
  3. Never buy anything full price... unless I have gone through several sleepless nights thinking about the garment !
    That blue color looks beautiful as the shape of the dress - and I also like your hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right, we can live without all of these purchases we may obsess over! Wise words x

      Delete
  4. This makes a lovely outfit and it does look like a good quality dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try my hardest to avoid purchasing any retail at full price. As an avid thrifter this is becoming easier although I still find myself sometimes lured into purchasing footwear at full price. Happy feet = Happy Suzanne.

    This is gorgeous on you, especially with the gold accessories and those underpinnings! Wonderful!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too find footwear a particular downfall when it comes to paying full price, just because it's so hard to find comfortable shoes that look amazing!! xx

      Delete
  6. You look fantastic, the dress is a perfect fit, and the gold-seamed stockings are fabulous! You know what a cheapskate I am - I think £20 is pushing the boat out! There is no way I can imagine spending £100 for a dress, especially one I wouldn't wear very often. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing with occasionwear isn't it, how often are you really going to wear it? It makes it quite expensive overall compared to a dress you can wear everyday for work or something. xx

      Delete
  7. I love your stole, shoes and stockings...beautiful! I always try to wait for discounts or put things on a lay-by/payment plan if I can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ay caramba, those stockings! (I'd have stuck my finger straight through them, I'm a nightmare with sheers...) Great co-ordination with the stole too.

    I always wait for discounts with Boden because they do too many. I've got quite a long Etsy Love list and often a reduction there too will sway me into buying things. With firms like Heyday! and House of Foxy, I'm more likely to pay full price, because they're small and manufacture in Britain, so I don't mind paying the extra. That said, I'd probably have balked at Foxy's prices if I hadn't been given a dress for Christmas; now I've seen the quality for myself I'll definitely shop more with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is so gorgeous on you, I really do love it when you do a 60s look - suits you to perfection. Also - I WANT THOSE SPARKLY STOCKINGS!!!!

    House of Foxy are a fantastic company, definitely on the very high end of vintage reproduction brands. While I do love a good bargain like everyone else, these days I try not to wince at the price if it is something I truly love, and a good quality piece that I know I will get a lot of wear from for years to come. That said - bargains are awesome and I like to wait around for things to go on sale when possible.

    Deco Darling

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this dress fits you perfectly and it looks gorgeous with the gold accessories. Those stockings are just so fabulous! I hadn't spotted them on WKD, I might have to buy myself a pair.

    I don't mind spending out on clothes if it is good quality or is something I won't get else where. I'd much rather spend £100+ on a dress and it be a good fit, won't fall apart and will last through lots of washing than buy cheap. I also prefer to buy from companies with good ethics, like HoF who make all their clothes in the UK, or from small individual boutiques who make their own garments like Evelyn Wood, rather than handing my money over to companies who mass produce everything abroad. This, of course, will always cost more. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on quality, but it's not always proportionate to price tag unfortunately! I have had lots of sub-standard and ill-fitting purchases from made in Britain brands, and then to add insult to injury their customer service has been really bad!! Xx

      Delete
  11. Oh my, this dress is absolutely extraordinary on you. So classy and unbelievably elegant. This is such a pretty colour, but I bet it looks good in the red too. It looks great with the amazing stole, and your shoes and stockings. I have been experimenting with coloured seams, but gold had completely passed me by and I now need some - but do they feel strange underfoot because it looks like the sole is in the same sparkly material? Just gorgeous! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sparkly bit is only on the outside, so they feel fine underfoot! I love coloured seams too, I have a mint pair that are particular favourites! X

      Delete
  12. Anything over £20 and I have to seriously consider and never new. I don't know how I'd cope if I went somewhere and someone else was wearing the same thing as they'd bound to look better than me!
    Love that stole, it goes perfectly with your beautifully modelled outfit. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So gorgeous, you and this dress! The hose and shoes are the perfect finishers! xox
    Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think 100£ is a lot for a dress - especially since I'm paying in euros and it costs even more for me. I do have a couple of dresses that cost 100-150 euros and I adore them, but I think I draw the line at my 89£ Vivien of Holloway dresses mostly. Those I bought when they cost ~100-110euros instead of the 125ish they are now.

    But now that I looked at House of Foxy I found items I really, really, really want... But they're so expensive I don't know if it's a good idea to buy them even though I'm currently working... I guess I really need to sell some of my older dresses away to make room for new ones (and to justify being them at all!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with the majority above, I couldn't face spending £100 on a dress. Off the top of my head I can't think what the most I have ever spent is, might have been on my Vivian of Holloway dress but even that was in the sale!

      Delete
  15. Amazing outfit! I love the combo of that stole and those shoes with that dress and those stockings are so amazing! So glamorous!!!! Gorgeous dress on you too! It fits you absolutely perfectly! Great find at a great price!

    I'm a bit funny about buying dresses. Most dresses I buy these days are Trashy Diva and they tend to run about $180 a dress new. I used to wait until big sales to buy them but I've found with TD they are the only brand that I really will regret letting a dress go so I've found for me it's better to buy it when I see it and while it's still in stock... but like I said, I'm a bit funny about buying dresses... all other brands I really hem and haw before buying them no matter the price whether it's $20 in a swap and sell group or it's under $100 on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! I found your blog post while researching information about House of Foxy dresses. As a potential US customer, I really want to get the sizing right before I order, especially since I'm looking at a no-stretch dress. Do you mind sharing your waist and bust measurements? Mine are right at what the website lists for a Size 10, but I don't want things to be too tight. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! I would definitely get in touch with their customer services and ask for the garment (not body) measurements for the dress you want. You can then compare to an existing non-sretch dress in your wardobe. This is because there is some fit difference betwern styles. I am 38" bust and 29" waist and find the Betty dress in a 12 perfect. However, I wear size 14 in their swing trousers, and while I have the pencil skirt in a 12, it's a 'comfy' fit and I would size down to the 10 for a sexy fit! I hope that helps. Good luck! Xx

      Delete
    2. Very helpful! Thank you!

      Delete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...