Wednesday 3 February 2016

January Purchases

I know I said I wasn't going to buy any dresses or other things I don't actually need this year, but I have to confess that before I wrote my wardrobe review of 2015 and had a good sort-out, I shopped the sales.  At a time of year when one can feel the winter blues creep around. I try and get more sleep, cut down on booze, get sufficient daylight and exercise, and eat healthily.  Those all help, but the real tonic is shopping!  The thrill of a bidding war on Ebay or tracking down that last pair of matching knickers in your size.  And when you trudge home in the dark after a day in work, soaked through and weary, the delight of a pink or gold parcel waiting for you cannot be underestimated.  It promises time travel, escapism and glamour in a world of onesies, and it comforts you that, yes, spring will return.

There are, of course, disappointments.  Stock errors.  Bizarre faults.  Misrepresented Ebay items. Hefty credit card bills.  Read on to find out what the keepers and weepers were...

Keepers


January purchases

The House of Foxy Betty Swing Dress is a stunning dress, and as it was in the sale and I had a voucher, it was excellent value.  I have already worn this to an awards ceremony  and will do a full review of this dress very soon.


January purchases

January purchases

Two Hell Bunny dresses for £12.99 each from Starlet Vintage's outlet on Ebay, the polkadot 'Noreen' and blue 'Colorado'.  They both fit really well and the first style is one I'd wear to work as well as for play, so I can see it getting a low cost per wear.

January purchases

I wasn't sure if I loved or loathed the Clarks Hotel Chic Gunmetal Loafers, but trying them on was a blissful experience - they are like slippers!  I had to keep them.  My husband hates them.  I have some green trousers that I think these will look particularly lovely with.

January purchases
The Clarks Hamble Oak brogues in black and white patent were £24 in the sale.  I already have these in grey and silver, and pink and white...


January purchases
What a wonderful fit the Lindybop Audrey Dress in Pink Martini is!  Snagged in the sale for just £8.99.  It's a light cotton, so more of a summer dress, but I can see it getting wear for cocktail evenings.

January purchases
This Lindybop dress had a waist slightly too high, but can be easily fixed by moving the belt loops and wearing a wide belt with it. Another £8.99 bargain, and can be worn to work.

January purchases

Another sale bargain was the Collectif Mimi Polkadot Dress, which fits beautifully.

January purchases

I couldn't resist the Collectif Olive Knit Dress either, also in the sale.  It does need some shapewear underneath though, as the knit is quite fine.

January Purchases

Collectif then had their final reductions, so I bought the 'Caterina' dress in Autumn Leaves print (so happy to find repro of this style of dress, haven't had much luck with original vintage)...

January Purchases

...and the Aida Zak Alma 'Holiday Check' dress.  Whoops!  In total, the four dresses from Collectif came to around £60, which I'm very pleased with.

January purchases

On the search for the perfect tops for work, I tried something a little bit different, the slash-neck top from Vivien of Holloway.  It wasn't on sale but I got 20% off thanks to a code from In Retrospect magazine (valid until 12th February, so pick up a copy to get your code!).  The fabric is a gorgeous thick jersey, I have worn this to work already.

In terms of non-vintagey items, I bought some more quality items for yoga - at a steal - from Asquith London, as well as stocking up on a couple of basic tops from Uniqlo.  There was also a knit top from Traffic People, and a cute top and shorts sleepwear set from Ann Summers.  I think that's it.  Surely?


Weepers

January purchases 
House of Foxy capri pants - I was very sad about these capris, but the fit just wasn't right on me.  The waist cut into me (weirdly they weren't too tight anywhere else, it was literally just the waistline) and the legs bunched.  I wasn't happy with the zip either.  There were loose threads around it, it felt too flimsy, and it was difficult to do up.  Maybe a hook and eye at the top would have helped.

January purchases

House of Foxy Dolman sleeve top - the 'champagne' colour was a little too beige in real life.  This top is a bit more clingy around the waist than the Vivien of Holloway slash-neck top, so in a pale colour it wasn't flattering to my midriff either.


January purchases

The Collectif Beau Jumper was too long and too chunky.

January purchases

I bought the Boden Crumble Mary-Jane Heels in a size 8, but they really are too big (I'm a 7.5 usually), and they don't have any half sizes left in stock.  My husband hated them.

January purchases

The Gossard Retrolution Slip was too short in the body for me, and the cups too voluminous.

January purchases

The patent Rapisardi Jolie Boots from Zalando looked like they could be the perfect '60s style boot that I have been searching for, for many years now.  Alas, they were too narrow in the foot (despite fitting perfectly on the calves, slim-leg ladies take note of these!).  Back they went.  At the time of writing this, I'd ordered yet another pair of black knee high boots from Ted and Muffy, but they won't be delivered until February so you'll have to wait until next month's roundup to find out if those were a success.

Summary
Some of the purchasing experiences were a bit frustrating, with lengthy returns (brands Collectif and Lindybop were so busy over the sale period, but I found their customer service very good and they got there in the end).  Overall I know that I've bought things that I really love and will wear, rather than trawling the high street and ending up with items that just aren't 'me' anymore.  Sometimes you have to ask yourself if you're only buying something because it's cheap, rather than because it will be a good addition to your wardrobe.  I have no regrets at the time of writing this, but maybe ask me in a few months if I've worn everything...

30 comments:

  1. Well, that makes me feel a bit better - I've bought two brooches, a necklace (chazza), trousers (chazza) and a pair of shoes (sale) so far this year and was feeling guilty, so it's good to know I'm not alone.

    It is hard not to buy pretty things when January is so relentlessly gloomy, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you've been remarkably restrained Mim! I do have a splurge in January every year, partly because I ask for vouchers for Christmas. The deals can be super duper too, if you pounce at the right time.

      And yes, January was particularly gloomy, I am glad we're in February now - the month of L'amour! xx

      Delete
  2. Great purchases! You have gorgeous taste. :-)
    April xx

    | APRIL ROSE PENGILLY |

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I LOVE your taste in dresses, so classic and feminine. And I liked those shoes but I know what you mean...I'm a 6 and a half and 7 is ALWAYS too big on me!

    And what IS UP with corsets being so....voluminous. There is nothing more unflattering than a half filled cup!

    Great buys in general though!


    Angie from reasons to dress {fashion + real life in Italy}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will show some pics of me wearing the items soon! xx

      Delete
  4. Someone had some great luck while scouring the internet for sales!

    All of these look fantastic! Too bad about the ones that didn't work out, but all in all I'd say you made out pretty darn well.

    Can't wait to see some of the new dresses on you.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a good haul overall! Will share some new dress pics soon xx

      Delete
  5. My god woman, you seriously shopped!! It's interesting that the HoF top was not really the colour you were expecting, I find that with a lot of their stuff. I wonder what setting they have on their photo editing package! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd - it's not that difficult to get right. Photograph neutral grey card, set white balance for that photo, apply that setting across the entire batch, job done.

      Delete
    2. Mim, you are a font of knowledge!! I always struggle to get my red living room wall to not look orange. I will have to look into this.

      Delete
    3. That could be your camera's white balance setting - incandescent light is really yellow - so see if changing the setting to incandescent (a little lightbulb icon) makes the difference.

      The other thing is, cameras 'assume' that the bulk of tones in an image are midtones, so photos with a lot of something very light (eg in the snow) or dark (eg a black wall) in the frame confuse them. That's why they can turn snow grey or make dark things look too pale. If that's the case, just tweaking your exposure compensation should sort it. (Aren't you using a Fuji like mine? If you are, the white balance is on the Q menu and the exposure compensation is the dial on top of the camera with 0, +1, +2 etc on it.)

      Delete
    4. Cate, that's great that you've noticed the colour thing on HOF website too and it's not just my dodgy eyes!! The first dress, the blue one, is actually a really lovely deep teal, Peacock blue type colour, not at all flat like it appears on screen. x

      Delete
    5. Blimey, that's a very different colour! My biggest disappointment was the 1930s tie neck blouse in sage. It looks quite vibrant on the website but is actually a great deal more subdued. I considered sending it back but I loved the style and the only other option at the time was the mustard colour one, which just doesn't suit me.

      Delete
  6. So sad about those boots, they're so gorgeous! Boots are such a pain to shop for - shoes are bad enough for me, but boots are a whole new level of woe when you've got to fit a leg too! Those Hell Bunny dresses were real steals - good work. I can't wait to see you in those Collectif dresses the most though - I will be living vicariously through you, for sure! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why more shops don't do different calf widths to be honest?! It's such a common problem to have boots too baggy or too tight. xx

      Delete
  7. I only just got my Lindy Bop and Collectif sale purchases, on the whole I wasn't too bad...although I did fall for a fake lipstick scam! I am in love with those black and white brogues and I was eyeing up that green collectif dress myself but wasn't sure it would suit me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, sorry you got scammed! I got scammed with a Benefit product once but I did manage to get a full refund in the end. Can't wait to see your sale purchases too! xx

      Delete
  8. Looks like I wasn't the only one who fell for Collectif sale - I bought a whopping 4 dresses out of which one ran out of stock so they refunded it to me. The rest three dresses were all ok, but I think I bought them because they were on sale, not because I really needed them... The only I needed was the one that I didn't get (so I have to buy it somewhere else with full price ofc). :/
    I also bought two Elizabeth boleros, a cardigan and two tops which I love much more than the dresses although the dresses were the cheapest items in my order. I still haven't used my boleros, because they have short sleeves, but I think they'll be perfect for covering up my shoulders in the summer. I can wear those halterneck dresses to work with them ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you bought those boleros, they do look perfect! That's a shame the dress you really wanted was out of stock, that happened to me with a Tatyana skirt recently. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new dresses! xx

      Delete
  9. Wow, that's quite a haul! You obviously fared better than me with Collectif, I ordered from them at the end of December and the parcel finally arrived yesterday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parcel did take a while as well, but you must have been at the very bottom of the list to wait that long!!

      Delete
  10. I couldn't imagine not buying any dresses for a year for all the pros of shopping that you listed above! For all the cons of shopping you listed... those are all good reasons to try and not to shop too much! Such a great haul of things that you got. Sorry to hear that not all worked for you but it sounds like more worked than didn't. And there's always returns even if it did take longer than usual to get your money back! Also, that's such an important thing to keep in mind about buying something that's cheap vs. buying something that will be a great addition to your wardrobe! I constantly try to actively think of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on the whole really happy with my purchases, and all the little issues got worked out in the end. I don't think I lost too much postage costs overall either. I don't think you'd be able to cope not buying dresses for a year, surely?! xx

      Delete
  11. I'm rather wishing I hadn't read this post... I didn't previously know of the existence of that gorgeous House of Foxy Betty dress, but it's now out of stock in my size and so sadly will never be mine, and I am left all forlorn! ;)

    I shall just have to console myself with my own sale purchases, which were quite extensive, since I only discovered all these wonderful retro brands in the last few months and had a bit of catching up to do! The Lindy Bop Audrey is a beauty as well, isn't it (I got two at bargain prices, in chocolate and green polka dot)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look out for returns - they do suddenly pop back into stock occasionally! And also they have an Ebay outlet. Keep an eye out, you never know... xx

      Delete
  12. I can't believe I managed to stay away from the collectif sale! You got some fab bargains. I totally agree with the magical restorative powers of a parcel on the door step. I go from zero to hero in a second!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I don't have any parcels waiting for me at home this evening, but I am pretty sure there's a nice bottle of red on the kitchen worktop. Does the same job!! xx

      Delete
  13. You asked about where I buy Hell Bunny from. I regularly browse Ebay as there are various online shops that sell last bits of pieces of their stock on there, but my first port of call is always Tiger Milly. They are very reliable, easy to return too if needs be and have great discounts! I have also bought from Attitude a few times and a couple of times from Ripleys. The Hibiscus dress I just bought came from Ripleys but I'd say 85% of my ever expanding collection comes from Tiger Milly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I usually buy from Starlet Vintage's Ebay outlet, but I know of Tiger Milly too. Haven't checked our Ripleys so I will have a look there too! xx

      Delete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...