Sunday 14 February 2016

The Perfect Boots

Never mind Valentine's Day, today the only love I'm posting about is the love of BOOTS.  The search for the perfect pair of boots is a quest most of us embark on at some point in our lives.  For me, the Holy Grail has been a pair of black, knee high, leather boots.  This may sound like an easy task, but let me add in a few other descriptors for my ideal boots: 1) They have to fit my slim calves well, avoiding the 'welly' look, and 2) They have a nod to '60s style with a platform sole and heel.  The hunt for these ideal boots has seen me purchase a few pairs of past season Clarks from Ebay - no joy there, it seems a thin sole was all the rage a few years ago - and take a gamble with several pairs from Zalando, including brands Gabor and Rapisardi.

In the past I'd heard of British brand Ted and Muffy (formerly Duo), and knew that they offered different calf sizes.  However, a quick visit to their website confirmed that their boots were out of my price range, with their knee high boots starting at around £225.  I forgot about them for months and months to be honest.  Then, this January, I visited their website once more, to find to my delight they were holding a 70% off sale!  Now that's my kind of discount.  I found I was spoilt for choice with a range of really rather lovely knee high boots, and it wasn't long until I found their 'Cosima' style, and a ray of golden light shone down upon my computer screen as I clicked 'Buy'.  Originally £250, I purchase them for £125.

60s boots

60s boots

60s Boots

60s Boots

60s Boots

60s Boots

60s Boots

60s Boots

60s Boots

60s Boots
Boots: 'Cosima', Ted and Muffy (last pairs now £110, be quick!)
Dress: F&F, via charity shop
Poloneck: Boden
Pagoda Umbrella: Charity one (brand new)
Baker Boy Hat: Unbranded, Ebay
Bag: From on hols in Spain!

The quality is very, very good.  The softest leather.  Fully lined.  The smell when you open the box and dig through those layers of tissue paper is wonderful.  As for fit?  These are the best fitting boots I've bought in quite some years.  Being really critical, they are indeed very snug on the calf, but the leather will ease.  On my long legs they could be even taller.  They are not quite as well fitted at the ankle, but it does mean the range of movement is non-restrictive.  In terms of comfort, they're just brilliant.  I broke them in around the house for an afternoon wearing nothing else and then wore them to work one day.  The walk to the station was a breeze, with my legs staying dry, high up and out of the puddles.  No rubbing or sore spots.  They are sturdy, and I can run in them when I'm late for the train.  They are 95% perfect!

I bet if I was to visit one of the Ted and Muffy stores I could come away with a pair of boots that fit me 100% accurately.  The closest one to me is in Bath, so I think I'll pop in next time I'm visiting the city.

What is your personal boot Holy Grail?  And have you found it yet?

Linking up with: Share in StyleVisible MondayReasons to Dress,#IwillwearwhatIlikeThrowback Thursdays, Passion for FashionHat Attack

29 comments:

  1. With pretty much my first paycheck from the Bodleian Library I bought a pair of knee high lace-up, chunky heel leather boots from Ravel. They cost me £50 28 years ago, and that was their sale price! There is something to be said for buying expensive quality if you can, after all these years and much wear they still look like new. They are a tad snug on my feet these days if I'm honest but I still worship them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree that boots would be high up my list with a new paycheck too! I used to really like Ravel x

      Delete
  2. Ooohh, they really are a thing of beauty aren't they! So chic, classic and fashionable. My own "grail" boots are a pair of late Victorian to 1930s brown leather lace-up ones of the hiking look variety, or (much more likely) a modern pair that copies that style. To date I've not found ones in my price range that worked for my woefully hard to fit feet, but it's a quest I will stick at until the end, so I have high hopes such boots will come my way sooner or later. :)

    Big hugs & joyful Valentine's wishes to you and your honey!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to buy a pair of boots from Duo a few years back (heavily discounted, of course. - full price, they are too expensive for my pocket) but sadly they didn't fit well at all, despite all the measuring, and I returned them. Yours look lovely, I'm glad you got a good fit, and you look fab in your 60s-style dress!
    My recent purchase of tan knee-high Hush Puppy boots has been a successful move - very comfortable, and they go with everything! And half price, which always helps! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half price bargains are always welcome! I haven't tried Hush Puppies, nowhere local stocks them. Xx

      Delete
  4. I never thought that slim legs would ever be a problem ahahahah but my legs are more of the regular size I guess ahhaah! These boots look pretty good though - I do agree that you could definitely get taller ones to accentuate your long legs even further!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I have polar opposite issues. I've got "man cows" and you've got baby calves.

    You look super confident here. Very 1960's.

    I did find a pair of Italian boots about 8 years ago at TJ Maxx that are still probably the most comfortable boots I own. The leather is very soft and they have just the smallest heel with a rubber flexible sole. They weren't cheap, but their cost per wear would be zero now.

    I wish I could find another pair as these are showing their age.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the worst thing about finding things you really love - knowing they won't last forever. Xx

      Delete
  6. Awesome boots, I'm glad you kept them! Yeah maybe they could be longer, but then most of my boots could be shorter ;) sometimes you've just got to admit defeat... And at least your long legs can pull it off! I want some now... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honestly so happy to get to 95% perfect! Suddenly the weather is drier though so I haven't needed to wear them... x

      Delete
  7. Great boots, love the 60's look on you to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, let me know if you're swinging through Bath, we can meet up. I was wondering if anyone fancied meeting up for Bath In Fashion's vintage weekend.

    My friend Lucy is the merchandiser for T&M, and all their stuff is good quality. She's got some amazing boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, what date is it? X

      Delete
    2. 18-24 April - they haven't put up final details yet, but the vintage weekend usually comes at the end of the whole thing.

      Delete
  9. These boots look incredible! Perfect for your 1960s look for this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing dress - I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for finding the holy grail of boots! They look great with your blue mini dress and fit your legs a treat.
    I bought a NEW pair of boots (in the sale, obviously!) this week and managed two successive 12 hours shifts on my feet without a single twinge. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so comfortable, but stylish too. The 60s vibe looks great on you, as ever. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving you as a mod girl! The boots are stellar, and the shift dress/turtleneck/cap are all working like gangbusters. Seriously, is there's anything you can't pull off?
    My holy grail right now is a pair of high waist black pants. I got a pair from Freddie's of Pinewood that I had really high hopes for, but they're really tight in the calves and then loose in the waist. If it was one or the other, I'd probably call it a win, but as it is they don't look right at all. Hopefully one day soon as I get as lucky as you got with your boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet - the stuff I can't pull off doesn't make it on the blog!! Such a shame about your Freddies. Lady K Loves is supposed to be good xx

      Delete
  14. Oh these are the perfect 1960s boots, top find! I currently have zero boots I can wear over the winter and my I am desperate to find a chocolate brown pair of knee high lace up boots similar to ones the girl on the left is wearing in this photo - https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/26036504069571192/. I believe you have a pair similar, if I remember correctly. One day I will find the perfect pair! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You found a fabulous pair! Love this whole look and the charming umbrella. xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great boots! I'm sure that boots really shouldn't be so hard to find but they really are. I have trouble finding any that accommodate my calf muscles without looking like wellies at the ankles! Love the '60's styling you have done here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can hear myself singing "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" as I read your post! These boots look PERFECT on you, the platform heel is perfect! You really are amazing at finding the best bargains! I love the '60s style outfit on you! I haven't yet found the perfect pair of boots... I'm really bad about buy shoes that are not practical...but as I'm looking forward to Spring I have already promised myself that the fall will finally be my time to by practical and stylish boots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the look of boots but have never taken the plunge of buying my own pair. I'm rather cheap when it comes to spending money on shoes as I always think of all the lovely dresses I'd rather buy instead! ;) These ones are lovely on you! Congrats at finding them so below retail price! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been to that shop in Bath (when it was Duo) and found so many pairs I loved it almost gave me a migraine. Yours look totally fab and the fit is blooming made to measure. I love the retro vibe which clearly is your signature. Great to find you and your blog. See you soon x
    Anna
    Anna's Island Style

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoy the design regarding boot styles yet have not obtained the particular jump of shopping for my own, personal couple. Now i'm somewhat low-cost in terms of purchasing shoes or boots.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...