Wednesday 17 February 2016

Vintage Cardiff: The Pumping Station Antiques Centre

On a bitterly cold day we visited the Pumping Station, an antiques centre in Cardiff.  It's a fine Victorian industrial building from 1899, and today houses a collection of antiques, interiors (the obligatory shabby chic pervading), a stove showroom, and collections for model hobbyists and Sci-Fi fans.  The inside is huge, with a little warren of rooms spilling out on various floors, with galleries, basements, and occasional glimpses of the wonderful industrial architecture.

We were in search of an Art Deco mantlepiece, lighting inspiration, and as always, vintage guitars and dresses.  Read on to find out if we found treasure...

The Pumping Station

It's a very eclectic mix.  Individual sellers come and go, and for a while there wasn't much clothing at all.  Now, there are two decent vintage clothing and accessory stalls, 'Annabelle's Antiques', and 'Vintage Past and Present'.  The former has stunning antique and old vintage gowns priced at a couple of hundred pounds.  The latter stocks a wide range of bags, jewellery and more, catering for a more down-to-earth price range.  I did spend ages looking at a collection of Deco brooches before tearing myself away and getting distracted looking at lampshades and tea sets.  My husband was preoccupied at any stalls selling guitars, and if I ever lost sight of him I just had to follow the sound of music until I tracked him down.

The Pumping Station

The Pumping Station

The Pumping Station

The Pumping Station

The Pumping Station

The Pumping Station
Fabulous '20s hat, £85

The Pumping Station
Edwardian evening coat.  I could have sworn it was modern when I saw it at first, shows how bad I am at dating the older stuff!

The Pumping Station

The Pumping Station
Above and below: some stunning 1930s frocks.

The Pumping Station

The Pumping Station

The Pumping Station
A lovely, very Clarice Cliff style tea set.  The whole lot for £50!

The Pumping Station
I love these Deco chairs, but the price tag is out of my league!

The Pumping Station
The only purchase I made in the end - a sweet and glitzy little evening bag for £15 from Vintage Past & Present.

Despite just buying the little bag pictured above, we did find a lot of inspiration, and had a very helpful chat in the stove showroom about meeting safety regulations for putting wooden mantlepieces around woodburning stoves.  The only downside to such a massive industrial building is that on such a cold day, it's just as cold as being outside!  I couldn't feel my toes after a while, but our visit to the fire showroom restored them.

So what did this fabulous Grade II listed building used to be?  Well, it was a pumping station for...sewerage!  You've got to admire the Victorians' relentless crusade for good sanitation, dressing up even the buildings with jobs far from glamorous to look important and almost stately.

The Pumping Station is open everyday 9:30am-5:30pm.  Well worth a visit if you're in Cardiff!

17 comments:

  1. Wow that 30s floral dress! I could just see you in that... This place looks really cool, I can't think of anywhere like this that does such a big range of vintage. I think your side of the country outdoes my region for vintage by a mile! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, fab dress, but best part of £300!! We are indeed lucky, I do love a browse around it and they have some amazing stuff. X

      Delete
  2. DIAMANTE-TOPPED EVENING BAG! Oh, LUST. Your bag is very swish too, just right for catching the light in a shady venue.

    Do they have a good range of fireplaces there? We've been looking for one for our living room, preferably Victorian/Edwardian to match the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do indeed - go to the pumping station website and find Decorative Heating in the traders list for their contact details - you can ask for them to keep an eye out for your heart's desire. X

      Delete
  3. I would have been very tempted by that tea set! I love mooching round places like this but Himself would rather stick pins in his eyes. *sigh*

    Oh and I'm only about 40 mins from Bath on the train so definitely up for April :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay to a Bath meetup! As long as there are musical instruments for my husband I am allowed to spend as long as I want with brooches! X

      Delete
  4. Ah, why didn't I go there when I went to Cardiff? This would've been right up our street! Those 30s dresses are gorgeous and I would definitely have parted with my money for one of those. Hopefully I'll find an equally wonderful place in Camden this weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is out of town on an industrial estate, no wonder you missed it. Can't wait to see what you get in Camden xx

      Delete
  5. I spy my globe cocktail bar in amongst all that loot!
    You're not alone, I thought that coat was something from Per Una! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't look too closely at it and am now desperate to go back and see if it's true!! At the time the price tag made me spring away from it... xx

      Delete
  6. I love visiting places like this. Thanks for taking me on a virtual tour. We also have quite a few older buildings that now house antique fairs. I do find overall that they are overpriced but as you wrote, very good for inspiration.

    Love your red coat and hat!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can indeed be overpriced, but so much inspiration! Fun to browse xx

      Delete
  7. I didn't focus on the shop goodies at first, just your fabulous shoes! I would have been tempted by the tea set but really I have more than enough! Great little evening bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a place of delights!!! That looks like the kind of shop that one would be best served by spending many an hour in, carefully searching for hidden treasures amongst the already clearly visible gems.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous venue to browse such lovely wares-- I'm quite in awe that such a building was used for such a basic modern necessity, ah those Victorians!
    Like you, could have sworn that the coat, and even the hat, were more modern, but that floral frock is so 30s and absolutely amazing-- as is the clutch you picked up.
    Thanks so much for sharing a glimpse into antique shopping in Cardiff, I love to see what treasures such shops hold in other countries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful place full of wonderful treasures! Too bad it was so cold in there! But wow! That teaset for only 50 pounds! I would have had to snatch that up in an instant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done an impressive job and our whole neighborhood will likely be thankful to you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...