Sunday 13 March 2016

My Favourite 1970s' Looks

The 1970s are perhaps only second to the 1980s in terms of the love/hate emotions that the clothing styles stir in us.  For me, the 1970s are definitely preferable to the 1980s.  I love the resurgence in 1930s and 1940s styles, the folk looks, and who could resist a bit of Halston Heritage's disco style?  With so much to offer, it was hard to pick my favourite looks from this decade, but I think I've come up with a good selection.  Read on to find what seventies-tastic style made my list!

The Masculine Look
Diane Keaton in Annie Hall wore this so well.  Think Yves Saint Laurent trouser suits as photographed by Helmut Newton in 1975.  Of course, it's a rehash of the masculine styles worn by Marlene Dietrich and Katharine Hepburn in the '30s and '40s, but something so good is bound to come back again and again.  See the original post here.

Old Hollywood Androgyny



Floppy Hats
I have a selection of floppy, wide-brimmed hats.  Straw ones for summer days by the sea, and wool ones for those crisp Autumn days.  A friend of mine picked up a gorgeous original vintage one from a vintage fair, from the £5 bargain bin - keep your eyes peeled, as the vintage ones are far superior in quality to most trotted out by the high street each year.

Folk Maxi Dress

70s Does 40s

Western Wear
Well yee-haw!  My husband has a few Western shirts from the '70s, and I have one too - pictured below I'm wearing the '70s Western shirt I thrifted for $1.  The picture is from 8 years ago, in Texas, and that's a genuine cowboy hat I'm wearing too!  It was pre-blog, so please excuse the lack of a proper 'outfit' picture!  I also have some beautiful tooled Western style boots, original 1970s' ones, from a car boot sale.

1970s favourites

Mini Dress & Tan Western Boots

So, have I convinced you that the '70s weren't bad for fashion?

This post is my entry to become the face of the 1970s for the charity Oxfam, who are running a contest for vintage fans.

16 comments:

  1. The masculine look is my favorite, love the color of the tie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a love hate relationship with the 70's which is now turning more and more to love.

    I adore that first look.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first look too, as well as the third one, but then I'm a sucker for polkadots. Wishing you some more good luck from Belgium. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeeh... Miss Peelpants and Goody and Vix and Curtise have all convinced me that there's more to the 70s than the stuff I hate, and I do like a bit of Biba/Ossie or 70s-does-30s, but the mainstream stuff from the decade is my Kryptonite. (It's probably my age, I was 6-16 in the 80s, when all things 70s and brown were shunned, and it's taken me a long time to break those ingrained habits!)

    I love the floppy hats, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice variety of looks. Something for everyone I'm sure. I'm partial to a floppy hat myself and I'm loving those cowboy boots too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who hates the 1970s? Only crazy people or maybe those who didn't grow up with a mother like mine who wore Jean Varon, embroidered kaftans my Dad bought back from the Middle east and floaty Phool dresses may be mistaken for thinking it was all brown polyester and acrylic tank tops a la On The Buses or Mind Your Language sitcoms. xxx
    No other decade holds a candle to the 1970s!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love your masculine look ! Nicely done Porcelina :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaaaaas. If anyone is made for the 70s, it's you! I swear, every look here is a total knockout. I'm especially in love with the menswear inspired first one - there's nothing quite as cool as a woman rocking a tie and trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with Jessica - you're made for the 70s! I'd love to see you representing it :D I love western wear too, and I like that it can work for the 50s as well, with slightly different styling. In fact, I'm currently planning out a western influenced outfit for snapping soon, thanks to my latest pink western boots purchase ;) Fingers crossed for Oxfam - it would be awesome if we both made it in! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those boots of yours are sensational - I look forward to your outfit post!! Xx

      Delete
  10. Love seeing you in these looks! I love all of them on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zero arm bending needed on this end, I've always been drawn heavily to 70s styles, especially those of a boho and/or prairie romantic vibe. You rock this decade superbly and genuinely inspire me to reach for looks from this fascinating, action packed decade more often.

    Tons of hugs & happy start of spring wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the 70's fashion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice western apparel photos.
    i like those item.............

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice poses and nice looks. You carried them as the dress demands is what i really like in your pics. I really loved your floppy hat look. The way you look classy and sassy I think tank tops for women will also give the same look over you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these 1970s look,you look lovely
    http://paperdollz.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...