Wednesday 9 March 2016

More 1930s' House Original Features

Although this blog seems to be mainly me posing, or showing you all the great finds from the car boot sale, it seems my most popular post of all time is about 1930s' house features.  People just like houses apparently.  So, for your viewing pleasure, here are a few more features from our 1935 house.  I am not showing you everything, because we've been doing a lot of DIY and I intend to do a big reveal at some point, so this is just to whet your appetites.

Interior
Windows often had pelmets, and we're lucky to have the original one in our bedroom.  Alas, the dining room has had its removed (sob sob!).  The bedroom one is not a particularly fancy one, but it does look so much better than a normal curtain rail.

1930s original features

1930s original features

Neither my husband nor I particularly like the colour of our bedroom curtains, but they were a quick (and very cheap) buy from the car boot sale to tide us over until we could pick something we really like.  I have visions of something quite '30s, perhaps in Eau de Nil, but I think I might have to persuade my husband about that.  He likes either white, or red, and not really much else in between.

Now onto our landing window which is not original.  I am a bit gutted about that, but as replacements go, it's not that bad.  At least there's still a stained glass effect.

1930s House Original Features

It does reflect the most wonderful colours onto the interior walls and doors when the sun hits it at the right angle, as you can see below.  The photo below also shows you one of the original doors, with original door handles.  No rounded bakelite, they're quite sharp chrome-look (and exceedingly sharp if you catch your shoulder on one!).

1930s House Original Features

We have some parquet flooring intact throughout - in our dining room it's in good shape, but the parquet hidden under our lounge carpet needed refinishing.  There was also the small issue that the lounge parquet only extended for two-thirds of the room, with a lazy 1970s' extension being finished with laminate flooring rather than more parquet.  I think my last DIY post about the floor detailed that my husband had used a concrete-breaker, laid more concrete, and was laying reclaimed parquet.  He's now moved onto sanding, sanding, and more sanding.  It's seemed pretty endless and he is a bit weary from the whole process.  A few more weeks and I hope to be able to share some pictures of a finished lounge.

1930s House Original Features
Parquet in need of some tlc!

I love the original bannisters, with the panels.  I've seen other houses of the same era where the panels were painted a yellow, and the surrounds in green (if you watch Mr Selfridge then George Towler and his wife have their living room like it!).  I think that would be a bit much for me really!

1930s house original features

The exterior of our house has a nice bit of mock Tudor timber detail above the bay window.  When I was a child I was obsessed with spotting real black-and-white houses as I called them, the medieval kind that have wonky doorways and lean outwards a bit precariously.  I'm quite glad we don't have one of those now, as even something that's only 80 years old does need quite a bit of attention.

1930s House

1930s house original features

One of my favourite details is a sweet little porthole stained glass window.

1930s House

And the floor in the under-stairs cupboard has some lovely tiles.

1930s house original features

Just to prove the current state of chaos in the house, here's what our living room currently looks like:

1930s house original features

The floor has progressed a bit since this photo, and all of that patchy varnish has been stripped off.  It's nearly ready for us to thoroughly clean the room ready for glazing the floor.  Sawdust is terrible, it seems to have drifted through the entire house!

If you would like to see my original post on 1930s' house features then take a look here!

17 comments:

  1. So many cute details! I can't wait to see it all in person :D I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to go round the house, sweeping a finger for dust? ;) my mum actually did that to me once, in my last house, after claiming she'd never be that person... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WANT YOUR HOUSE!!! Thank you so much for sharing and I've had a good read of your previous post and the one from The Black Country Museum and I want to go home and do lots to my house now. I adore all your panelling and I have to admit I'm obsessed with George and Connie's living room in Mr Selfridge. I'd definitely go for a full on 1930s look with green and yellow panelling if I had your house.
    I feel your husband's pain on getting the parquet flooring back to its former glory. I did the Victorian floorboards in my old house in the lounge, dining room, hallway and two bedrooms. It took forever, but definitely worth it in the end. Yours is going to look amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for sale!! If it was just me, I'd probably try and get the house a bit more historically accurate, but my husband hates green, so it's going to be a battle to get my eau de nil curtains, never mind green panelling! Well done you on your floorboards, it's a tough job. So far my husband's put sweat and blood into our parquet, let's hope it doesn't come to tears!!

      Have you seen this 1939 Welsh holiday home? A few inspirational pictures there too.
      http://www.selkieretreats.co.uk/tanyffynnon.html

      xx

      Delete
  3. Your house looks lovely and you are lucky to still have so many original features intact. The original floorboards in one of our upstairs room was covered with linoleum, which was cemented on. So many years later I'm still having nightmares about the dust it caused to remove it all. Eau de nil would be lovely for your bedroom curtains but I'm biased as it's one of my favourite colours. Hope you can convince your husband ... Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just don't walk on the Parquet with high heels lol. (My friend did that just after her Dad had finished restoring the floor at their house, I'm amazed she lived to tell the tale!)
    The house we rent has been sadly cannibalised over the years and there are barely any original features left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos for you guys taking this on yourselves.

    That stained glass is gorgeous. What a unique place you have.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and so interesting.
    I'm all over those little interior details. I can sit and look at architectural antiques on eBay for hours, I love a door knob or a tile, I'm such a geek! I've only lived Arts & Crafts, Victorian and Georgian properties so that 1930s style is something fascinating to me.
    I love the view from your house as well as the house itself. Is that a Welsh mountain peeking out? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the tour. Your parquet always gives me serious floor envy. And a porthole window - so cute!

    Could you dye your existing bedroom curtains for now? That might be a way to test out colours before splashing out on brand new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh lovely details! I love those black and white tiles and that parquet floor is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The parquet is fab, I love parquet! It will all be worth the hassle once you publish a finished post revealing your beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It might be hard work restoring things, but it will pay off! Your house is lovely, especially that parquet flooring and the tiles. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are doing such a wonderful job, your house is so beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1930's houses are my favourite and your home is beautiful even as a work in progress! I do love the Parquet flooring, it must have been a labour of love but its going to look utterly amazing once finished, I am looking forward to seeing lots of photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such gorgeous features on your home! <3 I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those stained glass windows are jaw droppingly incredible. What elegant, literally vibrant elements of the past to get to spend your days with.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  15. That porthole window is so sweet. Love the tiles and the parquet flooring too. My parents live in a house of the same age, must take some photos of some of it's original features.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're doing a good job with your house, and I am taking some inspiration from you. We bought our 1932 house 6 months ago and are lucky that it has not suffered a 1970s butchering and still has many original features, including the stained glass lights either side of the front door, the staircase (although different to yours as it has spindles), hallway panelling, fire surrounds in both reception rooms as well as the fireplace in the front room, among other bits. Much restorative work to do but, like you, we'll take our time and do it right. Carol

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...