Sunday 29 May 2016

Afternoon Tea Review: Wyndcliffe Court Sculpture Gardens

A few weeks ago I visited Wyndcliffe Court Sculpture Gardens in Monmouthshire with my Mum and my sister Louise.  It was supposed to be a belated Mother's Day treat, but it happened to be the day before my birthday too, so it was a bit of a double celebration.  Nestled in some pretty countryside with views down to the Seven Estuary, the house and gardens at Wyndcliffe are opened to the public on weekends.  As if the Grade II listed Arts and Crafts gardens aren't enough to tempt visitors, the gardens also host a sculpture exhibition by local artists.  We had a lovely wander around the gardens before tea.  It's such a rural spot that all you can hear is birdsong.

DSCF2107

DSCF2106

Wyndcliffe
Above: Some of the sculptures in the gardens.

DSCF2101
Above: Wearing a Hell Bunny dress.  By the end of the day I had red marks on my arms from the capped sleeves cutting in.  Why do they make arms so restrictive?!

As for the afternoon tea, you really couldn't find a more vintage - or charming - setting.  The tea room is located in what was formerly the ballroom of the house, it's all moulded ceilings, and wood-panelled walls.  You can also choose to have your tea on the terrace.  We opted to sit indoors, and were pleased to see the tables laid out with vintage china and proper tablecloths.

DSCF2139

Wyndcliffe

DSCF2135

DSCF2136

The three of us had opted for the 'vintage afternoon tea' and were pleased to see that included unlimited tea, coffee or hot chocolate.  I opted for some Earl Grey, my sister had ordinary tea, and my Mum sampled a large and frothy hot chocolate.  The sandwiches and scones arrived on cake stands, and the portions were generous.  The sandwiches were on both brown and white bread, and included fillings such as salmon and cream cheese, brie and cranberry, cheese and pickle, and egg mayonnaise.  All were sufficiently moist and tasty.

The scones didn't look that impressive, and so our expectations were exceeded when we tasted them - some of the best scones we've had!  As for the patisserie, the meringues were good, and I particularly enjoyed the orange and chocolate cake.  None of us managed to eat the fairy cakes, so we had these boxed up to take home.  Staff were pleasant and attentive, and we all had our drinks topped up.

It was really very pleasant sat in that oak panelled room, looking out onto the gardens and listening to the '30s music they had playing in the background.  Very civilised indeed, and it certainly is an afternoon tea with a difference with the lovely gardens and sculptures.  If you're in the South Wales area, it's a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

The 'vintage afternoon tea' is £16 per person and includes unlimited tea, coffee or hot chocolate, along with finger sandwiches, fresh scones, and a selection of cakes.  Pre-booking is required for the tea, and you'll also need to pay £6 entry to the gardens per person.

16 comments:

  1. Every single photo here, from this stunning old home to its elegant English gardens to that scrumptious spread - and of course your beautiful outfit itself - made me gasp and wish for a magic button to transport me across the pond to the UK. Alas, the folks at the lab haven't quite hammered the kinks out of that one yet, so I'll just have to visit vicariously through your wonderfully lovely posts. :)

    Big hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a very generous selection of treats for the price, I don't think you can get something quite like this in Australia - especially in such a glorious setting. I really love all of the details you've taken photos of - beautiful stone masonry - and that ornate ceiling. This is a superb example of the beautiful gardens England is famous for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my love to visit here, so, so very beautiful! Those afternoon tea treats look so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that sounds like a bargain - I've paid more for afternoon teas and for a lot less! Looks so wonderfully British, I love it. And unlimited tea etc - unheard of! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful pics. I am with you about the sleeves. Me, a fat arm woman even more, hahhahah.
    Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely house and garden! Will definitely visit if I'm in the area. That afternoon tea looks truly scrumptious too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh they often have deals for this place on groupon, I'll snap one up next time I see one.Looks like a fab way to spend a lazy day x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like my ideal way to pass an afternoon. What a lovely spot!

    That old world charm is sadly missing from most high tea spots over here. We just don't have the history.


    bisous
    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything about this place looks so charming, like a fairy tale garden! It sounds like it was a lovely and tasty tea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh I wanna just move in! How lovely1

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an enchanting place! Such a lovely treat for your joint celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow! Seriously, this place looks like it was lifted right out of a fairytale! I'll have to add yet another place to my "must go back to the UK and visit" list, which is basically neverending at this point. Hopefully the tea is just as good 10 years from now, when I finally get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty place to take tea! I must say though, I have to agree about the sleeves ~ one of my biggest fitting issues is too tight sleeves and I honestly can't understand why they don't make them bigger??! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  14. This place looks lovely, I wish there was somewhere here nearby and affordable - all of those treats look so yummy! Love the photos of the beautiful building and gardens, great outfit too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a magnificently wonderful tea! So lovely to be able to take tea in this magnificent home surrounded by such amazing gardens! So dreamy that it's so rural that only bird songs can be heard in the gardens too! The tea sounds absolutely amazing and everything looks so delicious and delectable! Thank you for sharing this tea outing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like a lovely day for all of you. Beautiful gardens, delicious tea.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...