Wednesday 11 May 2016

Silk Stockings

We all love to indulge in a little luxury now and again.  A few years ago here in the UK's economic recession, it was often mentioned about the 'lipstick effect' - people having less money for big expensive treats like holidays were turning to small indulgences, such as a new lipstick.  My favourite luxury treats would be dark chocolate, fresh flowers, or perhaps some new makeup.  I imagine stockings were also at the top of every girl's list back in the early part of the 20th century.  These days there's not quite the same thrill, picking up a pair of bodyshaper tights, is there? 

"These days there's not quite
the same thrill, picking up a pair
of bodyshaper tights"
 
 

When UK Tights asked if I'd like to try an item from their impressive range of hosiery I immediately thought I would like to try a luxury treat of the old-fashioned variety, and opted for a pair of the most luxurious stockings in pure silk, by French brand Cervin.  At £30.99 a pair, these stockings are at the higher end of what the brand makes.

I have already worn other Cervin stockings, and after checking the size chart for their Champs Elysees silk stockings I felt confident ordering my usual size 4.  Dispatch was super speedy and the next day I gingerly released the stockings from their (rather dull) packaging - at £15 a leg these are to be handled with care!  If you're a tactile person then you'll understand me raving about the feel of silk; the stockings feel just heavenly on.  The sizing was spot on too (remember there's no stretch with silk stockings).
 
The dilemma then was how to showcase these gorgeous stockings.  I felt something arty would be appropriate and headed to the (empty) bath with a lamp and a tripod.  It was hands-down the worst idea I've ever had for the blog.  The thing with photographing stockings is that it's very easy to slide into things looking a bit naughty.  It wasn't even in a good way; more sleaze than tease!  I had to delete every photo.
  
I sat down dejectedly on the stairs to try and come up with plan B, and to my horror, a knee burst through a stocking, sending a ladder shooting both up and down the leg simultaneously - it was like an Incredible Hulk moment.  I couldn't believe it.

"To my horror, a knee burst through a stocking,
sending a ladder shooting both up and down the leg simultaneously
 - it was like an Incredible Hulk moment."
 
I can't tell you how the stockings performed through a day's wear; they didn't even last an hour.  If you're more dainty than me, you may well get on better with silk stockings than me.  It was really wonderful to have the opportunity to try out such a luxurious item, but in retrospect I think I should have anticipated my own clumsiness.  Silk stockings aren't ladder resistant, so when a ladder starts, it's like your leg is being unzipped.

All I have to show you therefore is a forlorn picture of the laddered stocking, rather than the series of arty photos that I'd envisaged. 

I'll think I'll leave the silk stockings to Dita Von Teese and buy myself a lipstick instead.
 
Cervin
 

I was sent a pair of stockings by UK Tights for review.  You can check out the rest of the UK Tights range of stockings here.  All words and opinions my own.

18 comments:

  1. Oh no! Such a shame, but I would have had the same thing happen. Dainty is a lot harder to achieve than it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the worst luck with nylons as well. In fact I usually get an hour out of them if I'm lucky. I now have to stick to tights. Kudos on you for giving it your best shot though. Too funny about the pics in the tub. Everyone else manages to make it look so easy! LOL

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite being a physically dainty person, with tights I'm a disaster zone, so I imagine the same thing would have happened to me too! But how heartbreaking :( although at least it was a valuable lesson not to waste the money in future ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I will steer clear of silk stockings from now on!! Xx

      Delete
  4. Augh! I guess this is why vintage mags always advise to buy two pairs at a time if you can, so if you ladder one stocking, you can still pair the remaining one with one of the others. it must be so upsetting.

    I buy cheapo sheer tights nowadays (cannot be doing with stockings) as I'm so clumsy I usually only get one wear out of them anyhow. I'll splash on decent opaques, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I bet you were just about ready to cry at that point. On a happy note, I love UK Tights and buy all my hosiery from them. They're such a great company and are super fast with delivery. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I truly love proper fully-fashioned stockings for special occasions, I have never had a desire to try silk stockings, and your post confirms that maybe I shouldn't bother!! What a pain, though, when you were setting yourself up for a decadent set of photos. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those fantasies that fell flat and I shall not waste any more thought on. Will still try fully fashioned at some point x

      Delete
  7. Such a shame, but I guess they wouldn't have lasted any longer with me ... I'm not very good with nylons and always carry a spare pair. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness you didn't waste your own money on those stockings!
    I used to wear stockings when I wore a uniform - for economy rather than glamour, when one leg laddered I could interchange with another. Strangely the cheaper ones always lasted way long than the costlier pairs - you don't always get what you pay for, sadly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am glad I hadn't bought them myself! Unfortunately the expensive ones are so perilously sheer they easily ruin. I just don't have that kind of lifestyle!! Xx

      Delete
  9. Same thing happened to my new lovely seamed pantyhose, when I accidentally stuck my finger through them, but luckily I didn't pay that much for them, only around 8£ (which is still expensive for one time use items, like these). I've been wanting to try out What Katie Did
    's fully fashioned stockings, but because they are expensive, I didn't dare to buy them. Wouldn't want that to happen on the first try :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I haven't tried the WKD fully fashioned yet. I wear their retro seams a lot, great fit and the seams stay straight. X

      Delete
  10. Oh no! Such a shame! I'm sorry that this pair didn't even see you through one outing and sincerely appreciate the honest review.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such sad news about the silk stockings! I imagined how dreamy it would feel to wear them! I've never even seen silk stockings in person so I totally forget about how there is no stretch to them! So sad about the run in the stocking. I often have that problem with regular nylon stockings so I suppose silk stocking probably won't be for me either. Thank you so much for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man. I feel your pain. I've never owned a pair of stockings that I didn't immediately put a run or a hole in. As beautiful and sexy and luxurious as they are, I am at a total loss for how to keep them in nice condition for more than 5 minutes at a time.
    I hope you didn't really delete your photos, though! I have a bunch of photos that turned out way more risque than I intended, and it's kind of a hoot to look back at them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...