Sunday 19 June 2016

Afternoon Tea Review: Tudor Farmhouse

Today's afternoon tea review is of Tudor Farmhouse, in the village of Clearwell in the Forest of Dean on the Welsh-English border.  A former working farm, it's now a boutique hotel, housed in an extended 15th century building with cottages in the pretty grounds.
Tudor Farmhouse


An old friend moved to this beautiful part of the forest a few years ago, and it was high time I paid her another visit.  Her sister was also visiting, so it was three of us for tea.  When we arrived at Tudor Farmhouse, we were told that the table had been set up for is in the front lounge, but it was such a glorious day that we asked if we could sit in the cottage garden instead and were happily accommodated.  The interiors were very cosy looking, I bet they'd be great on a winter's day when there's a gale blowing outside and a fire roaring inside.  On a sunny day though, there couldn't have been a more perfect spot that a traditional cottage garden for afternoon tea, complete with a little stream.  I don't know if it's a sign of age, but I'm leaning more towards afternoon teas in rural garden settings these days rather than the urban hotels that I have been to in the past.
Tudor Farmhouse

Tudor Farmhouse

Tudor Farmhouse  The checked dress is an old favourite I've previously shown you here and here.

Tudor Farmhouse
We all ordered the standard afternoon tea, which was to come with sandwiches, cakes, scones and tea or coffee.  I ordered the organic Earl Grey, Anna had the breakfast tea, and Victoria went for the coffee, and we were all pleased with our beverages.  It was nice to see vintage china being used, but I do wish I could have matching!  I'm not such a fan of the mis-matched sets that seem to be so popular in tea rooms these days.  Anyway, on to the food...

Tudor Farmhouse

Tudor Farmhouse

Tudor Farmhouse

Tudor Farmhouse

There were three finger sandwiches each (salmon, ham and mustard, and cheese and chutney) and they were very nice indeed.  The scones were still warm, and were good.  I did have to ask for more clotted cream and jam, as there wasn't enough to go between three of us.  As for the top tier, we each had a little trifle in a glass, a macaroon, and a dense slice of something chocolatey and nutty.  My favourite was the trifle, which had a lovely vanilla cream on top and fresh berries underneath.  Really yummy.  I also liked the chocolatey cake, but I have to admit the macaroon type thing was my least favourite (it was weirdly chewy and tasted a bit odd to me, but my companions really liked it).  Staff were friendly, someone came and put a parasol up for us, the waitress quickly brought whatever we asked for, and they didn't rush us.

The tea was definitely not of the same generous proportions I've had elsewhere, but I have to say that for a warm summer's day, the amount was just perfect.  If it was winter, I'd want more sandwiches, two scones, and a bit more cake.  Usually when there's three of us for afternoon tea, it doesn't all fit on one cake-stand, but this one did.  But, you should know that the tea is priced only at £12.50 per person!  So, it's good value, and I would definitely recommend this pretty spot for your next afternoon tea outing.

17 comments:

  1. It's funny how much I enjoy reading your afternoon tea reviews. Like, I know I'm not going to go to any of these places (most likely), but they always make me daydream that I'm living somewhere in the English countryside, sipping tea and eating finger sandwiches. It's a pretty good daydream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same about reviews other people do in countries far away from me! Nice to look! X

      Delete
  2. I feel relaxed just looking at that garden! And I totally understand about the scones not going around. Scone servings were one thing I noticed in Wales and England this time - it is always one scone as standard! Australia is unquestionably a two-scone country :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first tea in the UK I've had with a one-scone serving actually, so not the norm here either!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiufl location, the garden and the Tudor House are absolutely stunning, as are you and your girlfriends! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place to enjoy afternoon tea at with friends! Those treats look yummy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A brilliant review! I want to eat it all again after reading the descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to get another date in the diary! X

      Delete
  6. That's a great price for an afternoon tea that includes trifle - trifle! Sold. Funnily enough, afternoon tea food has just become particularly important to a certain event next year, assuming my plans come off the way I want them to ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm...trifle!! I only eat it at Christmas usually but I love it!! Sounds like your plans are ticking along nicely xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks a lovely setting, though I would want more food!

    I guess it's becoming more and more difficult to find complete sets of vintage china nowadays, though styles like Royal Albert 'Old Country Roses' aren't that old and are fairly commonplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a warm day that my appetite was suppressed, but any other day yes I would want a bigger portion too!! I am a bit greedy ;)

      Delete
  9. I swoon over your pictures! This looks like the most perfect place for a garden tea. And wow a stream running through the garden! <3 So lovely! I really love the way you describe what tea time in the tudor house might be like! So cozy and warm! Everything looks so perfect and all the tea offerings look so delicious! I love the old china though I'm with you and prefer a matching set... if not with the whole spread then at least with the tea cup and saucer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel exactly the same way as my fellow Jessica above. I read posts like this lovely review on the edge of my seat, excited to know how each element unfolded and what the author's final take was on their afternoon tea experience. Living - and eating - vicariously from this side of pond? You better believe it! :D

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's high time I went for afternoon tea again, I haven't done it in ages. My favourite place has to be Brown's Hotel in London, it's rather expensive but you get so much for your money. Once you've finished one plate of sandwiches or cakes they whip it away and replace it with another. At the end of it, after sandwiches, scones and cakes, you can then choose from their dessert trolley! They keep the tea flowing for as long as you want too! I've never experienced afternoon tea like it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I'd known about this place when I was in the Forest of Dean a couple of year ago. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...