Wednesday 15 June 2016

The Dig for Victory Show

More adventures?  Yes!  That's what summer's all about: heading off in the car to meet other people in a field all dressed up.  The other weekend we headed off into the countryside not far from Bristol, to visit the 1940s themed weekend event Dig for Victory.  There were lots of WWII re-enactors, swing dancers, families on a day out, and people who just like any excuse to dress up.

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016
Above: Sticky Toffee Jazz - she was excellent

Dig For Victory 2016
These swing dancers turned out to be members of the 1940s/1950s most marvellous meetups group on Facebook.

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016
Above: The Spitfire overhead was a real treat

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016
My outfit really can't compare to Cate's, but in case you want the details the dress is Seamstress of Bloomsbury, hat is '80s from a charity shop, shoes are Clarks, bag was charity shop, as was the cardigan.

One of the highlights though was getting to meet the lovely Cate who blogs over at Vintage Gal.  She was wearing the prettiest yellow frock, made by her own fair hands.  The detail and care she put into it is really evident close up.  It's always strange meeting people in real life that you've only met online, but we had a lovely chat (possibly helped along by some prosecco on Cate's side!) and found time for a photo.  Isn't her outfit wonderful?  I'm feeling quite inspired to try out a bit of sewing, and later on at the show had a good chat with a seller who gave me lots of tips on getting started.  I have bought the pattern paper, tidied my sewing box, cleared the dining room table and need to order some fabric next.

I went to the show with cash, intent on buying a bit of vintage.  Cate introduced me to two fabulous sellers at the show.  Their offering was amazing - lots of 1930s, lots in my size(!), and more importantly their prices were incredibly reasonable (about half the price of some sellers elsewhere on site, who didn't have as good stuff!).  It was really hot in the main tent though, and I was actually loathe to try anything on in such heat.  I got a bit dazzled and overwhelmed by their stall and didn't buy anything at all!  Gah!  I feel I should message them about a few things they had and see if they're still available to buy via mail order instead.  I bumped into Cate again at their stall, and she was in the process of trying on the most gorgeous blouse, which she did buy.

I'll leave you with some photographs of my husband's outfit.  I had planned what to wear in advance, minus a shoe change due to the weather forecast, but he pulled this together the night before from his existing wardrobe, and I think he outdid me!  Especially when you look at that total outfit cost of under £15.  I spent more than that on my shoes alone.

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016

Dig For Victory 2016
Leather jacket: Back-belted 1940s leather motorcycle jacket, thrifted in California for $5
Hat: Vintage green wool flat cap, Christy's, via car boot sale for £2
Shoes: Vintage oxford brogues, car boot sale for £6
Trousers: Vintage, via junk shop for £2
Shirt and braces: Modern, from charity shop, £1 and 50p respectively

The dates for next year's Dig for Victory are already set - pop on over to their website and take a look at this year's gallery to see if it tempts you!

16 comments:

  1. You both look perfect for the occasion!
    I met one of the organisers in Bristol last year, she was lovely. I'm glad the event went well and it looks like the weather wasn't too unkind.
    Cate's outfit is really pretty, too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband looks great - as indeed does everyone. It must have been so great to meet up with Cate; she's lovely.

    The Ministry of Food demonstration is a good idea, I haven't seen that sort of thing at a festival before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a great festival, love the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos! It was so lovely to meet you and I do apologise for my Prosecco drinking! You looked really lovely and I'm really tempted by your Seamstress of Bloomsbury dress. Do you remember the name of it? Your husband certainly did look dapper too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your husbands trousers :)
    It's funny how men manage to pull together their outfit last minute when we can umm and ahh for some time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous time! I wish they had something like that here.

    You both looked amazing. I'm impressed with Cate's dress.

    I'm excited to see what you sew. I'm totally useless when it comes to sewing.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely event. Both you and Cate are looking great, and I'm loving your husband's outfit. I know what you mean by being loathe to try anything on when it's too hot, and later regretting it. Hope you manage to still buy some things via mail order. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun event! You look very lovely in that blue dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your husband's charity shop skills are immense... I've seen this first hand in the shape of his shoe collection, so I don't doubt he can pull off an outfit like this for £15!! Looks like an awesome day and so lovely you got to meet Cate. Yay for blogger meet-ups. We'll have to work on our next one soon. My house purchase is hopefully only a fortnight away from completing - we are now only waiting for the sellers to complete theirs and we're done! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like such a great event, I wish I could go!! Your outfit looks amazing, your cardigan looks lovely with the dress, such a great pop of colour! You husband's outfit is wonderful too and such great finds for a bargain price!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness I wish we had events like this in my part of the world! It sounds like a fun day and I love the outfit you pulled together. The soft green cardigan looks super great with the darker navy and the flower is just the right pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like it was another wonderful event Porcelina! Sorry the heat made it so that you didn't want to try anything on! Those vendors sound amazing. I do hope you will message them and see about buying through the mail. I ended up with a vintage Lili Ann coat that way after I regretted not buying it at a vintage fair I went to last year. Love your outfit and also love your husband's outfit. So perfect for the event!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I miss this post? This sounds like so much fun! There are various events around the US that are fairly similar to this kind of thing, but I've never managed to make it to any of them. Next year, maybe, if I plan things right. Anyway, I hope the vendor that you liked still has some great pieces for you to buy! It's always a treat to come across someone who doesn't want your firstborn for an older vintage dress, since it feels like the prices keep going up. And stop dissing your own outfit, because you look fabulous! I love the polka dots, and I'm rather jealous of your shoes because I just had to get rid of a similar pair that I wore until they fell apart. Your friend and your husband also look great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A really fun looking day! I adore your outfit. Both you and Cate look terrific - yours is perfect for you and hers for her! K

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds and looks like a fun day!! Also, the shoes!? Oh my goodness! New-old stock is the best!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great day out! I go to so few vintage events. I really need to get out there more and meet some more vintage loving girls!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...