Sunday 12 June 2016

Bank Holiday Vintage Extravaganza in Cardiff

On the recent bank holiday the Vintage Extravaganza returned to Cardiff's Millennium Centre.  Full of music, dancing, stalls and - most importantly - folks taking advantage of the chance to dress up, it promised to be a fun event.  Last year we particularly enjoyed the classic cars on display, and I came home with a few vintage purchases.  What would we find this year?

vintage extravaganza

The weather was better this year, a lovely sunny and even warm day.  The dancers from Valley Jive were certainly working up a sweat in their demonstrations.  There were a few familiar faces - Vix and Jon were trading, as was Emily Rose Vintage.  The stalls were really good, but I left empty-handed as I wasn't really in a buying mood and am trying to save for our next trip (wherever that might be...).

vintage extravaganza

vintage extravaganza

vintage extravaganza

vintage extravaganza
 
IMG_20160530_165413

The classic car display was much smaller this year.  If you follow me on Instagram you'll have seen this snap of me in front of an MG.  The '80s dress I'm wearing is from a charity shop, I think it was 50p.  It was a tad stained, but came up lovely in the wash!  I then spent 25p on ribbon from the car boot sale, and made the straps (I have an aversion to strapless dresses).  I was pleased that the weather was sunny and I finally had the chance to wear the dress, I think I bought it a few years ago now and it took me ages to get around to putting the straps on.  We didn't stick around too long at the fair as my husband was feeling rubbish, so it was home for a glass of something in the garden.  Our rhododendron is very colourful, and our peonies have been magnificent.  Look at the size of that rhubarb too, it looks prehistoric!

vintage extravaganza
Dress: '80s vintage, via charity shop (straps added by me)
Sunglasses: Gift from my husband
Pink slingbacks: Miss Selfridge, years ago
Gold palmtree bracelet: '60s vintage, from car boot sale.

vintage extravaganza

 

21 comments:

  1. Still wish we had something like this in my area! I also have an aversion to strapless dresses - so glad it's not just me. I'm yet to meet one that's changed my mind! What you did with the straps was really clever, they look perfect. Hope you're having a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes these kind of things aren't advertised particularly well - I find that if you can track down a few local people that are into vintage on Facebook, they can help keep you in the loop! Try the 40s/50s most marvellous meetups group?? xx

      Delete
  2. Oh those peonies! They look like they would smell divine. The green bow straps were a fantastic addition and really make the dress pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peonies were glorious this year, but unfortunately they're not at all highly scented. My roses have been making up for that though, they've been fragrant!! x

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lovely event! I'm loving the peonies. For some reason, ours went away and never came back. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, maybe they'll return next year. I hope so! x

      Delete
  4. I love that you added your own straps to this dress. Something I should consider since I just automatically discount a dress if it is strapless.

    You need to pick that rhubarb! Either that or send it over here : ) I've lot loads of recipes for it.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so much fun! And I like your dress, very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the addition of the straps to the dress! I am drooling over the vintage dresses and accessories in these photos! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some absolute beauties, I found a few dresses that I probably should have bought, but I was in a bit of a 'no' mood! x

      Delete
  7. Looks like a really lovely event, I'm loving the vintage accessories! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a great choice, last year I did buy some sunglasses. I resisted temptation this year! x

      Delete
  8. Oooh, lush peonies! Hooray for fab weekends; Welsh ladies (and lads) certainly do seem to love their vintage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that there's quite a love of vintage in Wales - but in pockets. Swansea, for example, is much more surfy mixed in with the fake-tan and tight mini dress brigade! It takes all sorts! x

      Delete
  9. That dress looked lovely and fitted you perfectly. I sold quite a few 1980s dresses to the rockabilly crowd at Cardiff that day, there were some great 1950s shapes around back then.
    Thanks for the photos, I never saw anything other than the customers, the toilet and our pitch all day. Can't believe I missed all the cars. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a shame you were pitch-bound! Maybe next time Jon will let you out for a wander ;)

      Delete
  10. Wow, what great pictures you got! I especially love the ones of people dancing! You look great in your outfit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really great customisation with the straps. And the green works so well, I wouldn't have thought of using an accent colour but it lifts the whole look and makes it so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love vintage fairs! It's so much fun seeing so many vintage things for sale in one place plus have the opportunity to see so many people dressed up! I love the dress you wore! I am impressed that you added the straps yourself. It is such a nice touch to the dress and a very cute detail! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. An event really interesting! are all these amazing vintage clothes! It's nice to see people dancing! Enchanting your polka dot dress. .. And these flowers when I was little, my grandmother grew them .. they are beautiful!

    s.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...