Thursday 10 December 2015

Cardiff At Christmas

If you are thinking of visiting one of our glorious UK cities for a spot of shopping, a pre-Christmas meet-up with friends, or simply a day out over the festive season to share some precious time-off with family, you couldn't make a better choice than to visit Cardiff.  I am a bit biased, because I lived there for many years - and still work there - but I honestly feel there's something for everyone.  Read on to find out what festive fun can be had in Wales' capital city.

Shopping
Cardiff has become a shopping hub thanks to the whopping St Davids shopping centre, where you can find all of the high street brands you desire, along with a great selection of restaurants which have really helped Cardiff to become more family friendly.  One of the delights of shopping in Cardiff however, is if you leave St Davids and cross the bustling Hayes, you end up in the wonderful Victorian arcades, crammed full of more individual shops, such as Spillers Records (the oldest record shop in the world!).  The Arcades are just magical with all of the Christmas decorations, and will help you feel a bit more of that Christmas spirit.

Christmas in Cardiff



Christmas in Cardiff

A little further up The Hayes, you'll find the Christmas market, bustling with little log cabins selling everything from craft beers, Welshcakes, jewellery and all sorts of other handmade items.

Christmas in Cardiff

Christmas in Cardiff

Winter Wonderland
In front of the wonderfully majestic civic buildings, Winter Wonderland each year offers a fun fair with giant ferris wheel, ice-skating rink, and a selection of food and drink stalls.  I have only been to the ice rink once myself, because I can't skate!

Christmas Cardiff

Christmas Cardiff

Theatre
Shrek is on at the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff Bay until January 10th.  If panto is more your thing, then the New Theatre in the city centre is putting on a production of 'Aladdin' until January 17th.

Cardiff panto

Cardiff panto

Cardiff Bay
Yet more festive stalls can be found on selected days in the run up to Christmas, so you can do a spot of shopping before you see Shrek.  The Bay now has a huge selection of restaurants, bars, little shops and galleries, so it is very easy to while away a day here.  The Norwegian Church overlooks the bay, and hosts regular gift markets, has a gallery upstairs, and always puts on lots of musical events - it's a wonderfully intimate setting for a carol concert.

Roath Park
This is actually a series of parks, including a recreation ground, pleasure garden, rose garden, wild garden and lake, and they are a treat to visit in every season.  I personally prefer when it's especially cold, as you have them practically to yourself.  There's an eerie, icy beauty to the stillness of the lake.  If you get too chilled, either head into the lakeside cafe for a hot chocolate, or step into the blissfully warm glasshouse for a brief tropical respite.  The larger park is flanked by some stunning Victorian homes, so you can do some fantasy house shopping on your stroll around the lake.

Cardiff Christmas

Cardiff Christmas

I used to take a Christmas shopping trip to Bath each year, but these days I honestly don't feel the need to travel any further than Cardiff.

What's your favourite city for getting into the festive spirit?

7 comments:

  1. Cardiff is such a lovely city, and your photos really bring that out.

    I wouldn't come to Bath for the shopping if I didn't live as close as I do - and I deffo wouldn't recommend it while the Christmas market is on, unless you like heaving crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am on the train back from Newport, I'm sad I don't get to see more of Wales at Christmas! The resort the conference was in had a big train set in the lobby circling a huge tree... Lovely. I don't have a favourite city as I tend to not want to be anywhere near crowds of people anytime ever, let alone when Christmas shopping is involved ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so gorgeous there! I love all the Christmas festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been to Cardiff three times in as many months. We were opposite Winter Wonderland the week before last, I felt so sorry for the people working there, it was an utter washout.
    Best place I've spent Xmas? Not a city either a remote tree house in Goa or a heritage homestay in the Keralan backwaters. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming winter wonderland! It's great that Cardiff goes all out for the holiday season. Good question, I'd say that Calgary, Alberta is probably my favourite city that I've spent time in during the holidays. The freezing temps and (usually) snow on the ground there really up the Christmassy spirit all the more.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm suddenly feeling a whole lot more Christmassy!!! What a lovely place. Makes me feel very un traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up near Brecon but haven't been to Cardiff in years. Want to do a weekend away in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...