Wednesday 23 March 2016

London Architecture: Brasseries and Cemeteries

I recently took a trip to London for a friend's hen weekend (translation: 'bachelorette party' for those of you in North America).  Before the fun started, I met up with one of my nieces in central London for lunch at Brasserie Zedel.  I've always wanted to go there, and have a good look at the Art Deco interiors.  I wasn't disappointed.  I didn't manage to take any good photos of the interiors though as we were too busy catching up!  Afterwards, we had time for a wander around the streets of London, with my eyes raised upwards the whole time as I looked up at all the wonderful architecture.

London Architecture



London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

The hen weekend was a non-traditional one, with all the usual paraphernalia and games strictly banned by the bride-to-be.  Instead, we had a nice walk around Nunhead Cemetery to start off proceedings.  That might seem a bit of an odd activity for a hen weekend, but Nunhead Cemetery is one of London's seven Victorian cemeteries, and is really rather lovely.  It needs money spent on it, as much of it is crumbling, but it adds to the charm somewhat.

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

London Architecture

There you go, just a bit of visual inspiration.  I must say I'm glad to be back in Wales - it seems I'm a country bumpkin at heart, and whilst I love my adventures to the city, it's the mountains, sheep and sky that make me feel at home!

15 comments:

  1. Ooh I so wanna go to London some day! Sounds like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nunhead looks lovely. I'd love to do a tour of the 'magnificent seven' one day. Nunhead's actually had a lot of restoration, though such large sites are hard to maintain.

    What did you get up to after Nunhead? A swanky night out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The secret to London is always to look up. The downside is bumping into people, but there is so much more to see. My other trick is to cross the road and walk on the the side I normally ignore! You managed some lovely photos! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, that there is that huge, horrible sportswear store (Lillywhites) in that beautiful old building has always bothered me! The inside is the stuff of (my) nightmares. I am lucky I get to see all the pretty buildings all the time, and I work in one, but that does mean I don't really appreciate it like I should! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never visited a London Cemetery. The next time I'm there I'm going to add that to my list. It looks so hauntingly beautiful.

    Your outfit was spot on!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love an old graveyard and this one looks wonderful. What a fantastic set of photos, you've done London proud.
    I used to work for the Forte group was entitled to a 30% discount at Lillywhites as a staff perk. Never took them up on it as I assumed it was all sportswear. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing like wandering around an old graveyard, so peaceful. I love the fact I can get to London in 40 minutes have a big city fix and then scuttle back home to a more rural setting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your photos! It's so great getting to see the world through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love visiting old cemetery's. They are full of beauty and history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those photos are beautiful. I can't resist an old cemetery, there's so atmospheric. Just realized that I haven't been to London, in - can it really be? - 19 years. Can understand that you're glad to be back in Wales though. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Old cemeteries are such entrancing places. I always feel a calling to them as well. Most here are not terribly old, as this part of the country is very new (in terms of European settlement, I mean), but in a few places throughout BC one can find graves from the mid-1800s and occasionally even a whisper older still.

    Terrific outfit! That coat is such a classic, fantastic piece.

    Have a beautiful Easter weekend,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zedel's is pretty high up on my list of places to visit - it looks AMAZING from what I've seen in bloggers photos! London truly is a beautiful city and I have always been in awe of the architecture and historical landmarks each time I've visited. It is a VERY busy city, overwhelming even - so I totally understand the relief you would feel to be back home, I am very much the same in this sense! Victorian cemeteries are so beautiful, we don't have anything quite so nice here as although we do have cemeteries that were constructed in the Victorian era, due to our hot dry climate there isn't so much as any ivy or thick green moss decorating the tombstones, nor weeping willows or any of the romantic greenery that makes cemeteries so hauntingly beautiful.

    Deco Darling

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, these are a wonderful architectural tour!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...