Sunday 17 April 2016

Review: What Katie Did Hollywood Camiknicker

A classic style that What Katie Did has made for a few years now is the Hollywood Camiknicker.  Available in black or peach, I purchased the black last year and have been meaning to do a review - here it is, finally!

Hollywood Camiknicker

The sizing runs large.  I'm normally a 14 in What Katie Did, but it was huge, and I had to swap it for a 12, which is my usual high-street size.  I would still say that it's very roomy around the bust, but fits well on the waist and hips, and unlike some other camiknickers doesn't have too high a rise - it's very comfortable for a night's sleep.

The quality is good, I love the little pearl buttons down the side, the contrast piping, and the lovely silky material.  In terms of value for money, it is normally priced at £59.50.  Never one to pay full price for anything, I bought mine from Mio Destino when they had at least 20% off.

Whilst I love this camiknicker, I have had a few issues with it.  Firstly, the black dye came off onto my sheets!  Normally on garments where dye transfer is an issue, I expect a little warning tag, which wasn't present.  The sheets have been through the wash several times and still look a bit grey in patches.  Secondly, the satin feel fabric is fairly flimsy and doesn't stand up well to the inevitable stress put on it in this style.  You can see that there is a patch starting to wear thin near the seam.  I know that someone else who bought this mentioned they'd had the same issue, so it's not just me treating it roughly!

Hollywood Camiknicker

Hollywood Camiknicker

Hollywood Camiknicker

Hollywood Camiknicker

Hollywood Camiknicker
It's a little roomy around the bust as you can see

Hollywood Camiknicker
Signs of stress near the seams.

Hollywood Camiknicker

Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase, but if I'd paid full price I might have been a bit cross about the dye transfer and the seam stress.  It just goes to show that paying a little bit more doesn't always guarantee that things are going to be perfect - I have a similar style all-in-one from Playful Promises that I bought around the same time and had no dye transfer issues, and all the seams are holding up much better.

It's very glamorous though isn't it?  It certainly evokes 'Hollywood'!

The Hollywood Camiknicker from What Katie Did is priced £59.50

25 comments:

  1. Undeniably gorgeous! A total knock out little piece. I'm in shock with the colour transfer! Bad form from what Katie did! Small things like that just let down the reputation of an otherwise highly thought of brand!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look AMAZING in this, now I want it even more! This is one of the WKD pieces that I have been wanting for a while! I'm very disappointed to hear though that the black dye stained your sheets, not cool at all. I do like that you say it's comfortable to sleep in though, so I think I will get one in the peach instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely pictures and a very glamorous cami, I love the little pearl buttons down the side so elegant! It does seem the choice of fabric has meant its been made as more of a decorative item rather than a practical one which is such a shame as at that price really it should be made to last and I would be quite irritated with the dye transfer too, especially as it has white piping which could quite easily end up grey when washing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really worried about the piping but it seems to be ok, it was just the sheets that suffered!!

      Delete
  4. Dylon SOS colour run works miracles, I'm not sure how effective it would be after a few washes as that kind of sets the colour but it might still be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks gorgeous on you (but what doesn't?), a wonderfully glamorous piece.
    Without sounding like a Grandma, I'm horrified that the dye ran and that the seams strained. That isn't a cheap item (even after a discount). A strongly worded email is in order I reckon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did leave feedback but other than a 'sorry', nothing else seemed to happen. I didn't have the energy to take it up at the time. Xx

      Delete
  6. Bah to poor quality expensive things! But on the plus side, what a knockout you look in this <3 I would be seriously annoyed about dye transfer if I'm paying that kind of money for something. It's the second item from WKD I've seen with criticised for quality in the past month, so I do feel a bit wary about this brand right now... I don't mind paying if something is really worth it, but I'm amazed the amount of times I pay more and don't get more for my money! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very pretty, but how does it fit for a longer torso? I feel like it might be a bit too constricting for sleeping, but maybe it's because I usually sleep in my underwear. I wouldn't be able to wear a camiknicker anyway, because I'm the type that needs to use the toilet in the night and I'm pretty sure wearing a camiknicker would make it a bit too difficult :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The loo in the night thing's not too bad, but yes it's more faff than separates. I find the torso length comfortable, especially as the straps are adjustable. Plenty of room between the legs too!

      Delete
  8. You are looking very glamorous, but I'm shocked about the dye transfer and the strain on the seams, which shouldn't be happening, given the price tag. On the other hand, I never knew what a camiknicker was, and now I do ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fabulous on you! I'm not surprised by your comments about the dye transfer at all. Every piece of WKD I have has a problem with the dye coming out when you wash them. My peach knickers are a completely different colour now to the bras, suspenders and girdles due to the fact they get washed more. But the worst offender is the chocolate brown Coco set. I rarely wear the set because the knickers have to be hand washed as the colour just runs out of them. The water is a horrible muddy colour once they're done. I'm terrified to wash the bra and suspender belt because they're half brown and half peach and I have no idea if the brown will ruin the peach colour. They really should sort this out. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that's not good at all. I got a 'sorry' but nothing else seemed to happen in terms of warning customers or looking at future product dye more carefully. Expected more from them. Xx

      Delete
  10. TBH, the one time I ordered underwear from them I sent it back, partly because the fit was wrong (which I anticipated, though their term 'vintage figure' makes my blood boil, it's just another way to tell apple types that our bodies aren't good enough) but I was also pretty disappointed with the manufacturing; the central panel (it was a corselette) wasn't properly symmetrical. It's not a brand I have any urge to buy from again.

    Your cami does look very pretty on you, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would absolutely like to see more diversity in the figures they use. Kiss Me Deadly do that better - they haven't got as far as apples but they do show more muscular and boyish figures from time to time. We need more than the standard hourglass options!

      Delete
  11. Such a shame, there stuff is normally high quality, and fr that price I'd expect the same! It really suits you though, sexy and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really frustrating about the quality issues, but damn if you don't look sassy and sexy! What a fun little romper for wearing around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a shame about the quality but my gosh you look so amazing in it! I have quite a bit of vintage nightwear, I really am inspired to do a post.... Eventually! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a bit upsetting about the conditional issues so early on indeed - especially for what any of WKD's items retail for at full price. I'm sorry you encountered such already. It's a beautiful, fun piece of lingerie all the same and one that I can't help but feel has a bit of a 20s/30s tap dancer feel to its design (making it all the cooler looking). Thank you for the honest, lovely review.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really cross!! I should have chased it up further but there are only so many customer service battles one can fight at any one time, and I already had a few others on the go!! Xx

      Delete
  15. You look gorgeous!! Love the style and the pearl snaps are amazing! It is too bad about the seam stress and dye transfer but luckily you are the best person around to find amazing deals and didn't pay full price!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a shame about the issues you had with this. I would be very sad about the dye transfer and the stressed seam as well! On the plus side, it is a very stunning piece! So elegant and playful and I love the button details!

    ReplyDelete
  17. well it looks great on you, but the dye running doesn't sound good. Should you not get a refund?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't offered anything like that when I contacted them! Not the best response.

      Delete

Comments from readers make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...